E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

722.3 hard shift/vacuum test?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S124 300TE
722.3 hard shift/vacuum test?

Hi there!

I've just replaced the flex disc/hardy disc on my 300TE, 89. Hoping this would reduce my hard shifting. But no...
Symptoms

I've been reading about checking vacuum pressure and adjusting the modulator.
        I've read these two pages: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w201...l-replace.html and http://www.continentalimports.com/ser_ic20242.html but they are for the 722.4 and/or diesel. But I'm having difficulty in figuring out where to plugin a test Gauge and what the pressure should be?

Could a gauge like this work: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-pressu...item5d4cce5be2 ? and where to plug it in?

I also have a vacuum "fuel efficiency" gauge, which works as it should, had a leak once, fixed it, but no change in the shifts. But I don't know if its related to the gearbox vacuum or usefull to leak finding.

The other things I will try is changing the oil and look closer on the diff/driveshafts. But I would really want to know about the vacuum is fine for the gearbox
        Old 07-29-2014, 04:04 PM
        Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
        1999 E300TD
        I would offer a word of caution. The references you quote aren't for your transmission and lack any technical meat.

Before you go putzing around with the transmissions vacuum system I would strongly advise that you read carefully the WIS docs pertaining to your VIN. 88,89 and then again in 92 there were changes, plus within the years that I reference the pressure specs change with transmission number and or MY---so big deal you measure the vacuum---then what do you do ---is it to spec, if not how do I adjust and bring into spec or do I replace the part.

None of your questions can be answered correctly without the aid of the transmission documentation!!
        Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
        1992 300e
        Well I just had the same problem and the issue was the vacumn line running from the intake to the modulator was cracked. I would replace can reach with car jacked up and produced symptoms of literally feeling the rear end would fall out.