E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

w124 M102.963 engine running without fuel pump relay.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124 230e
Unhappy w124 M102.963 engine running without fuel pump relay.

Good day.

I own a W124 200E with engine M102.963 in it.
The Fuel Pump Relay failed to activate the fuel pump. I could not easily source a new Relay. I bought 4 used ones that none could run the pump.
I was then advised by my local mechanic to do away with the relay fitting for now rather than abandon the car, as it was just only there to make the pump run in cold weather climate and switch off engine in accident an scenario, of which no one prays for. He then put the relay away, bridged two points of the relay connector which made the fuel pump to run at the ignition point of switching on the engine i.e. point II and remains on whether engine running or not. But it goes off when the key is switched off as it appears was not directly connected to the battery.

My question is:
(a) Apart from case of accident and fuel running while car engine stopped running what else does the relay do?

(b) Can the bridge of the running points harm the pump?

(c) Doe such bridged connection have any negative effect on the ECU which I fear cost a lot and even difficult to find here?

Please be kind enough with professional advice as I have being running the car for months now without any problems. I am making contacts for a brand new relay.

I have replaced the OVP and all fusee are copper newly replaced. Nevertheless I observed that even without the OVP relay the car could still move without any apparent issues. I don't know whether that is how the car was designed to run with or without OVP.

Please advice.
Thanks

Last edited by OKONJI; 09-08-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:00 PM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
You must live in Gaza---the fuel pump relay only function is upon key turning to start provides voltage to start the fuel pump, once the car starts the relay is shut off by the ECU as the voltage is supplied elsewhere by the ECU-----therefore the answer to a is nothing!

(b) no

(c) I am amazed that you do not get a CEL

Regarding the OVP relay, its function is to protect the control modules, if it is out, you do not have the protection!!---the car still runs
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 AM

w124 230e
Originally Posted by Plutoe
You must live in Gaza---the fuel pump relay only function is upon key turning to start provides voltage to start the fuel pump, once the car starts the relay is shut off by the ECU as the voltage is supplied elsewhere by the ECU-----therefore the answer to a is nothing!

(b) no

(c) I am amazed that you do not get a CEL

Regarding the OVP relay, its function is to protect the control modules, if it is out, you do not have the protection!!---the car still runs

Thanks for your reply.

I know Gaza only on paper and TV.

Sorry, what is the 'CEL' you amaze I do not get?
Old 09-09-2014, 05:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
CEL=check engine light= a problem----however if you do not have the instrument cluster CEL lamp lit= you do not have a problem!!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:02 AM

w124 230e
Originally Posted by Plutoe
CEL=check engine light= a problem----however if you do not have the instrument cluster CEL lamp lit= you do not have a problem!!

I never thought of that but it hasn't shown CEL and I hope it would not.
I will pay attention just in case.
For now the instrument cluster looks normal and the car behaves normal too except if the bulb may be bad. But I don't know how to ascertain the condition of the cluster bulb or I just rely on the good running of the car for assurance that all is well.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
You have to be sober for this operation, but you can check the status of your IC bulbs every time you start the car---instead of looking at your girlfriend, look at the IC while starting--all the bulbs will go through a test and come on and then go out---if your CEL does not light up you have a bad bulb!!