E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)
View Poll Results: To Paint, or Not To Paint....
Paint the cladding
33.33%
Leave it alone/original
66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

To Paint, or Not To Paint... (Lower Half Plastic Cladding)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
To Paint, or Not To Paint... (Lower Half Plastic Cladding)

Guys a few months ago I purchased a 91 300CE (Coupe) as an extra beater car.
The car is pristine... Black/Black.
It of course has the lower cladding in Grey color.

My question is: Should I paint all the grey in black gloss paint?!? Of course I would be leaving the bumper insert strips alone if I did so.

I've been tossing this idea around in my head since I got the car.

I'm sure you'll all seen photos of this done, if not, google search it.
I know this would make the car look a bit more modern, as a solid color is "better" than two-tone. But should I mess with an original car?

I don't care much about re-sale, etc - mainly if you experts here think it would improve the look of the car, or if the majority of you prefer the "original, classic" look. Maybe I should do a poll. Thanks in advance gents!!
Old 09-23-2014, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
My vote is for the original look simply because I never minded it much. If you're going to update to the 94/95 hood, lights, etc with a modern grille insert and perhaps AMG Gen II bumpers, then 100% paint the lower cladding body color.

If you're going to keep it all period, I don't see how changing the panel color would really improve things much on its own.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Thanks for your reply!
I would not be changing anything else, no... Thats exactly what I was wondering too (but didnt type) - how much of a difference would the paint really make? I wouldnt say its a Huge difference anyway, personally. I have looked at many photos too....

For such a minor change, it's hardly worth my time, effort, and money to be honest. I should prob just enjoy the car for what it is - a daily, run around car, and for rainy/bad weather situations. Thanks!!
Old 10-02-2014, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
i would paint it. even look at saijin_naib's signature, which definitely makes the car look monotone, it makes a big difference vs. two tone especially on a couple. if you had a sedan i would have probably said don't bother but i think it would look good on a coupe!
If your car was any color other than black, i also would have said no, because you can always tell the difference between the top and bottom paint due to age, fading, etc. on the body. black hides most of that difference, if the cost is not an issue i would go for it!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Zed, the crazy thing is, my cladding isn't painted to match!