E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sportline, 500E, AMG, the quest for better handling in a W124

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 08:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
94 E320 Coupe
Sportline, 500E, AMG, the quest for better handling in a W124

Well much to my chagrin my 94 E320 needs everything that makes it bounce changed at 103k miles.

I already have H&R springs, Bilstein sport shocks and the corresponding bump stops, etc. I also have all the components for the rear suspension and bushings new from dealer. I have a Sportline front sway bar, and a 210 rear sway bar.

New tie rods are in.

But now I need everything else up front. I dont want to go the polyurethane route, since I have done that to other cars and its not a nice way to live with on a daily driver, no matter what, they squeak and degrade faster than OEM rubber. Also while I do want better handling I don't want to feel the hairs on a caterpillar's back as I drive down the road.

So I am aware that the higher performance W124s had some components that helped them handle better. My question is what are those components as they pertain to the front end. I figure since I need to replace everything I might as well go with the best I can get.

I am looking for part numbers too please.

Oh and I looked through all the Stickies here and on other sites and have not come across any concise information. Many thanks.
Old 09-26-2014, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
86 W124
Put all those new parts in and see what you think.

The front A arms probably need to be replaced. Think about doing all the arms in the rear. Upgrade the camber arm so it's adjustable. Then rear subframe and diff bushings. A sportline steering box. And bigger brakes and more rubber.

Then.
A smaller steering wheel and driving school...