E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Searching for a 124 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55, 1964 Cadillac El Dorado
Searching for a 124 wagon

Hey guys,
I'm on a search for a 124 wagon. I want something that can haul parts around town, and why not do it in a Benz. My E55 can't hold anything. I can't even put a set of wheels in it. I recently sold my truck, so I need something ASAP. I've found a few around me, so I have some questions.

I found a 4Matic. Will this be an issue if I want to lower the car and put 18s on it. I'm not going for that stanced out lookand my tires will be the appropriate size for the wheels. Not running an 18x9 with 215 tires. I just want something clean, but I don't know if the 4Matic will be a problem or not.

I also found a wagon that "needs a fuel pump". I've replaced a few fuel pumps in my time, and I am assuming this will be an easy fix. The problem with this dude is that he has trouble returning emails, so who knows about this one. It also has been parked for 10 years, so I don't know what problems I'll run into.

any help on these would be appreciated. Thanx guys. Looking forward to this section of the forum.
Old 11-11-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
i don't have personal experience with 4 matic but my understanding is that it's an expensive fix when it goes bad.
i would be very wary of a car that's been sitting for 10 years, you'll need to replace a lot more than the fuel pump. will need to clean out the gas tank, probably swap out all the rubber, etc.

which part of the country are you in?
Old 11-11-2014, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
i don't have personal experience with 4 matic but my understanding is that it's an expensive fix when it goes bad.
i would be very wary of a car that's been sitting for 10 years, you'll need to replace a lot more than the fuel pump. will need to clean out the gas tank, probably swap out all the rubber, etc.

which part of the country are you in?
I'm in Southern California. I'm going to check out the "10 year sitter" right now, and I'll report back. I'm trying to stay away from the 4Matic, as I've heard a few of those stories. I've been known to tinker around with cars, so replacing parts is not a big thing for me. I dropped the fuel tank in my Caddy a few weeks ago to put in a new sending unit. I'm not afraid. I love that it only has 100k miles. All the other ones around here are in the 160k and up. some guy has 325k on his, and he's selling it. I know they are pretty bulletproof engines, so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:13 PM

UPDATE: The "10 year sitter" was actually a "6 year sitter", or rather the registration was last paid in 2009. It has about $600 in fines. The car was an absolute mess. I wouldn't even sit in it, it was that bad. Heavy Smoker, the carpet was his ashtray. It didn't start. When we got it to start, it was loud. A quick peak underneath the rear end showed me it needed a new muffler. I heard something loud up front as well. The whole exhaust system probably needs replaced. The taillight harnesses were missing, as well as the spare tire. If I can get this car for under $800.00, I'll probably buy it. If not, I'm going to check out the another one.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
check your pm
Old 11-13-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ZedStyle
check your pm
Thanx for the PM. I had not seen that one. Looks nice. I'm looking for a black one. If I was looking for a white one though, this would be a definite contender. Good looking out.

Lookin a black wagon tomorrow. I'll report back, hopefully with some new pics.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Any interest in my C36 swapped wagon? I've got to change the a gasket on a leaky water pump before I'd let it go, but its a ready to go, mostly clean car.