E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fuel issue help needed.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300E
Fuel issue help needed.

1991 300E, has been sitting for about a year. Engine turns over but will not start running unless I put gas into the (?throttle body?). Last night I got it started and maintained it running by drizzling fuel onto that plate until the engine began to warm up (rad hose started to warm up) then it sputtered out and died. It did not want to run after it had warmed up. I assume that once it reaches operating temp other things happen (operation wise) that directly effect it running. This is driving me crazy as Mercedes engineering is like a foreign language to me. Active duty here with a wife and 2 boys so time to crawl the boards for info is slim to none.... I appreciate any help you can throw my way.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you do not want to make or have time and your wife isn't a mechanic and your children can't spell wrench---let the car sit and spend the time home with you children because there is no magic solution
Old 11-17-2014, 12:55 PM

300E
Plutoe, I don't know what to say... Other than thanks for nothing.

I am mechanically inclined as I work as a jet engine mechanic, currently on Pratt and Whitney F100-220 (14 years now). Mercedes engineering is quite different from the domestics and Hondas I have been used to working on. I am not familiar with this fuel system, no Mercedes troubleshooting experience.

The comment about my family was to try to stave off the trolls from telling me to search the forum for an answer. What I did do was to request any help, generally towards common issues or failure points, regarding my issue.

So let me be clear, if anyone has any advice on troubleshooting this mechanical issue please share, otherwise... thanks for reading.

And now back to work since I just used my lunch up for this. I am going to check for fuel pressure into the distribution block next. May try to get all the old gas out somehow and put fresh premium in it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:52 PM

300E
Been going since 545, its 748 and I finally have a few moments to work on the car, I will update tomorrow on findings.
Will be following some of this guys advice.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 PM

300E
Pump has power, fuel pressure is present into distributor, Fuel comes out ports that are not injector ports. Fuel lines were disconnected at distributor, engine cranked, fuel inside the distributor was half way up the holes. Lines reconnected at dist and disconnected at each injector, engine cranked and same result-no fuel. I see two electrical connectors in this area, could this be electrical or is it strictly mechanical failure of the distributor? Well the saga continues.
Picture is like mine grabbed from internet.
Blue has fuel, Red does not,
Green is the adjustment screw but mine seems to have a metallic ball like item there blocking the inside where adjustment screws seem to be.
Attached Thumbnails Fuel issue help needed.-dist.jpg  
Old 11-18-2014, 12:36 AM

300E
Ok watched a 70's video on that distributor, will try checks again with pushing the plunger in.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:09 AM

300E
Ok so it seems there is a security plug inside my adjustment tower that I need to remove in order to make the adjustments. Its down in there so how does it come out, trim the tower?