E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Compressor Always On and other fun!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 11:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 Mercedes 300D
Compressor Always On and other fun!

Hello All,

First, I want to say thank you to every single post that has helped transform me from a person who knows nothing about cars, to someone who is not afraid to roll up his sleeves and get to work! Newbies like me really appreciate the advice!

So, I have a few issues I am trying to diagnose. The first one has to deal with the ACC and A/C compressor. I had my compressor fixed recently and it has been working great, a little too great...During the summer, i noticed that when I switched to economy mode that sometimes it would still blow ice cold air for a very, very long time (upwards of an hour). Now that it is winter, I notice that the A/C compressor is engaged when the heat is on...the lines running out of the compressor are cold and the compressor runs as if I had he A/C on. Needless to say, I am getting terrible gas mileage...the kind of mileage I get in the summer when driving in the city with the a/c on for a full tank. Lately, the acc sometimes won't shut off when I try to turn it off...sometimes it goes off, other times no. But, the temperature wheel and speed selector work just fine.

Is this a bad climate control unit that needs to be replaced? I'd figure I'd ask people who know more than before spending $200 on a new rebuilt unit.

Finally, I have noticed that I have slow coolant leak. I saw dried green coolant towards the front of the water pump. I m assuming that I need a new water pump, correct?

Also, (if I replace the water pump) I was thinking about replacing the tensioner, pulley, and spring while I work on the coolant pump; is there anything else that I should just go ahead and replace while I'm in there?

Thank you to any and all that can help me out!
Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Regarding the coolant, if it's green it's not the specified type for MB's---see stickies for specs

Regarding the AC unit, somewhere I posted the test for faults and actual values procedure for the W124---the results will assist you in determining where the faults are located---run the tests