E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

HELP! Instrument Cluster - Can't fully unplug

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2015, 03:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 300E
HELP! Instrument Cluster - Can't fully unplug

Hey guys - new to the form, and with the brand as well...

I finally got myself a car that I've always wanted, a W124, specifically a '92 300E. Anyway, I'm trying to remove my instrument cluster and am stuck.. basically, I was able to disconnect every wire except for these two near the speedometer cable in the centre... it's the black part that I've circled in green. The other photo is the best I could do with regards to a shot of the actual wires.

I feel like tugging hard, but I get this feeling there's more to undoing these because they're far more difficult to just tug out...

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cheers -
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Instrument Cluster - Can't fully unplug-2015-01-03-14.49.22.jpg   HELP! Instrument Cluster - Can't fully unplug-w124cluster.jpg  
Old 01-10-2015, 03:34 PM

w124 1989 260E
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Good choice on the w124! They're the best! Post some pics of your car here so everyone could appreciate it more.

Anyways, based on the photos you've posted, it seems like there is a gold screw right in the middle. have you tried removing that and try unplugging it?

Am I looking at the right thing?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:26 PM

85 300SD, 80 280SL, 90 300TE 4Matic, 90 300D 2.5 Turbo, 91 300E 4Matic, 92 300D 2.5 Turbo, 87 300TD
Those two plugs just pull out; leave the screw alone. Make sure you are pulling just the plugs and not the housing into which they fit.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:56 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
speedo

Quatro can i ask how you removed your speedo from the dash. I have the mercedes tools but it wont move .Did you remove the speedo cable from the floor or from the gearbox?. I have a speedo for swopping over, and that plug is just a pull off from what i can see of it.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:36 AM
Banned

'92 300E
Hey guys - thank you to all who have replied so far.

In the end, I was able to get the gauges out no problem. At first, I carefully (but with a lot of force) pulled out one of those wires. But the second one (the one that looked like a circle) was still really stuck. So instead of taking a chance and forcing it even more, I just unscrewed that one screw and it came out smoothly. What was nice, I found after the fact, that the little screw actually stayed with the white plate, meaning, you couldn't take it out completely or it wouldn't fall out into the dark or anything. My recco when taking out the gauges: take out that small screw.

optimusprime m1: I got the MB dash tools too, after I tried making my own pulling hooks using coat hangers and paint can openers (The MB tool was only $20 CDN at the dealer - not bad for piece of mind!) I simply unhooked the speedo cable from under the carpet by the pedals, then I ever so carefully pushed some of the speedo cable UP to the cluster area, so that when I went back up to pull it out, there was some slack (make sense?) Then I just stuck my hand in the back and unscrewed it. Pretty simple.

Oh, as requested, here's also a pic of me with my W124 pretty much the week I picked her up.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! Instrument Cluster - Can't fully unplug-1.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Originally Posted by Quattro80
Hey guys - thank you to all who have replied so far.

In the end, I was able to get the gauges out no problem. At first, I carefully (but with a lot of force) pulled out one of those wires. But the second one (the one that looked like a circle) was still really stuck. So instead of taking a chance and forcing it even more, I just unscrewed that one screw and it came out smoothly. What was nice, I found after the fact, that the little screw actually stayed with the white plate, meaning, you couldn't take it out completely or it wouldn't fall out into the dark or anything. My recco when taking out the gauges: take out that small screw.

optimusprime m1: I got the MB dash tools too, after I tried making my own pulling hooks using coat hangers and paint can openers (The MB tool was only $20 CDN at the dealer - not bad for piece of mind!) I simply unhooked the speedo cable from under the carpet by the pedals, then I ever so carefully pushed some of the speedo cable UP to the cluster area, so that when I went back up to pull it out, there was some slack (make sense?) Then I just stuck my hand in the back and unscrewed it. Pretty simple.

Oh, as requested, here's also a pic of me with my W124 pretty much the week I picked her up.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Quatro your car is looking very good . Nice one.