E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Transmission Suckage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124 300d turbo
Transmission Suckage

87 300D turbo, om603, slushbox, too many damn miles, etc, etc.

Since I've had it (5 months) the trans has always been, well, less than perfect.

Bought it knowing there was a leak at the pan gasket. Drove fine, has to be topped off every once in a while. Lately though it's not so much with the driving fine. The lag between shifting into a gear and the thunk that tells me it's actually putting power to the wheels has gotten longer.

Today it started doing a new trick, when accelerating it kinda sucks up to about 3k rpm then the tach stays put while the car accelerates up to the shift point.

I'm going to rip into the thing and do the gasket thats been sitting on my desk for ages, is there anything else preventative or adjustment wise I can do? If this was my jeep I'd be doing solenoids and band adjustment but I can't make heads or tails of the transmissions in these things, it's like somebody used engineering when designing the sucker!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well you are sucked---you have big issues with the clutch plates and or valve body--my suggestion is leave the gasket on the floor for the office dog to chew on while you and your girlfriend cruise the junk yards for a new slushbox!!

Alternatively, park the car at coney island and I guarantee that the next morning it will be gone!! Then file an insurance claim for 300 bucks!!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124 300d turbo
Meh, I'll rebuild it before I yank one from a JY.

I'm trying a shift kit and stopping the leak, see where it goes from there.