E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

ASR Light With No Side Effects

Old 01-12-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E420 Special Edition
ASR Light With No Side Effects

Hello all!
New to the forum, I recently purchased a 1995 E420 black on black with ASR.

Car rides like a dream! recent throttle body and wiring harness replacement before i bought it... but the ASR light comes on randomly while driving from time to time. There has never been a loss of power or gas pedal function. so i dont worry about it.

am i looking at a wheel speed sensor problem or a brake light switch problem? My brake pedal does groan when being depressed/released, but brakes work completely fine.

P.S. My M5 in the background

Old 01-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you want to solve the problem correctly without throwing parts at the car you will use a pulse counter and diagnose socket 6 which is the ASR socket and count the pulses(there are a 11 possible for 11 different fault points) three of them are wheel speed sensor faults the other are the other.

However to answer your question---yes it could be a wheel sensor,brake light switch, the ASR hydraulic unit and or control module! Choose wisely!!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 E320 convertible 1995
Hi Notorq, just check also the battery. It took a week for mine to completely die with many side effects: warning lamps in dashboard lighting erratically!
I have tried to recharge the battery a couple of times but the car alternator (although working well) was not sufficient to recharge the faulty battery. And this battery, a supermarket brand... cheap, but I understand why, was only 1 year 1/2 old!!!
If it is not the battery, the sensor is a good possibility as well as any related relays.
Good luck.

PS: great looking car!