E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Heavy exhaust from e320 wagon...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 Wagon
Heavy exhaust from e320 wagon...

One more question for the forum today if you'll permit me...

My 95 e320 wagon seems to be putting out a lot of white exhaust. My first concern was coolant in the oil but while the oil is dark on the dipstick it doesn't appear milky at all, either on the stick or in the tank. I took it in to my mechanic just to be sure and he says it looks fine, and that a busted gasket would be very rare on this car anyway. He said the exhaust seemed more or less normal to him, white but not a firehose of billowy clouds, and that the car seems fine.
When I asked what could be causing an increased exhaust output, he said the likely issue was that I don't drive the car enough, or only drive it in stop and go traffic (both true), and he suggested I take it out on the highway and run it up to 80 or so for a while to blow the build-up out from the exhaust system. I've heard of some 2000 era Ferrari's needing this treatment to pass smog so I'm thinking he could be right.

Sound right to you guys? I should point out that it's winter in NYC (where I live) and perhaps that makes things more noticeable as well?

I'm probably being too fretful about this but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything important.

Thanks
D.