E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

California purchase what to lookout for??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 300E, 03 E55 Black designo, 06 IWC CLS55
California purchase what to lookout for??

Hey guys

I am just trying to make sure I know what to look out for in terms of documentation when buying a w124 in California.

I am moving there hopefully soon to start a new job. I do not know what things to look out for.

apart from not buying a salvage title car what else do i check? Should there be a pink slip present at time of purchase?
Should I inisist on having a new smog test done before buying?

I will be looking for a decent 300E for a decent price. Not crazy mileage and not the sort of car that the previous owner super glued things rather than replace them (you know what I mean).
Old 02-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you don't have loads of money or a way to write the car off as a business expense--my advice would be watch out for anyone trying to sell you a cherry W124 or for that matter trying to sell you any W124---but if your wife has to drive a MB---go for it, just formulate a document that you do not want any part of the car in any divorce action!!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Hi Plutoe

What does a cherry w124 mean? A nice w124?

I'm actually trying to understand what sort of paper work things to look out for. I am moving to the USA for my work. I'm not sure about the formalities.
Pink slip
Smog test
Tags?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
The more correct way to get answers to your questions would be to go to the Calif Dept of Motor Vehicles web site---additionally and assuming you are a USA expatriate---visit any USA Embassy and they have loads of information on the subject, plus great burgers on Friday nights!!

A fall back position is that most credable employers have loads of people on staff to answer your very basic moving questions!!

Last edited by Plutoe; 03-01-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
w202
Here are the main points of buying a car in CA from private party:
1. Yes, when you buy a car from a private party, the pink slip should be there. The pink slip should have the name and address of the vehicle's registered owner on it. If someone else is selling the car like the father selling daughter's car or whatever, then the registered owner must be present at the time of sale because they have to sign the pink slip.
2. Check the VIN numbers on the pink slip and the car: obviously they should match entirely.
3. Ask to see (and take a photo) or the sellers/registered owner's driver license. Addresses might not match between the license and pink slip, but names should be the same.
4. If you buy the car, the seller will fill out the bottom portion of the pink slip (which is usually white in color) with your details and he will keep (tear off) that portion so he can release the liability off that vehicle (pretty much to notify DMV -Department of Motor Vehicles- that he sold the vehicle and who is the new owner). You will keep the main portion of the pink slip (which is pink in color).
When you go to DMV to register the car onto your name, you will fill out your details on the back of the pink slip you received when buying the car.
5. Make sure about lien holders on the vehicle. A lien holder is a person or company that has interest in the car, it's like a co-registered owner, but not really. The pink slip specifies on it if there are lien holders and if so it will list all names and addresses. If the car does not have lien holders on it, don't worry about anything. If it does, then all lien holders must sign the pink slip. If you don't do this, then DMV will reject your paperwork at time of registration until you get releases from each lien holder.
6. At time of purchase, car should have a valid registration. You can quickly tell by looking at the rear plate: it should have a valid month and year on it and it should no be expired. Ask also to see the registration of the vehicle to make sure it is all up to date. This way, whenever you register your vehicle there will be no extra fees at the DMV. Now, there's nothing wrong with buying a car with expired registration, but factor in the fact that there will be penalties for expired registration. A month or two of expired registration is not that big deal, but more than that you're looking a hundreds in $$. You can get registration estimates on the DMV site if you have the details of the car.
Also, if the registration is expired, legally, you are not allowed to drive the car. You will have to tow it or go to DMV and ask for a one day moving permit. You can risk by driving it, but if you get caught, police will impound the car on the spot.
7. The smog. No matter what story the seller tells you, the car needs to be smogged whenever it changes owners. Period. The smog certificate is valid for 90 days and legally it has to be provided by the seller. So, if the seller has the smog on the car, check the date to be less than 90 days since along with other details like make sure the smog is indeed for that car, etc.
If you decide to buy the car without a smog, not a problem, maybe you get a good deal, but consider that if the car does not pass smog, then repairs and parts might get expensive very quickly.
Car that do not need smog: gasoline cars 1975 or older, diesel 1997 or older (newer diesels need smog), electric, cng and motorcyles.
8. Legally, you have 10 days to register the car under your name after purchase.
9. You need to have at least CA liability insurance in order to drive the car legally in CA.

I hope these points give you a head start, good luck and let me know if you have other questions about DMV or car insurance.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:20 PM

Fredtga
Thank you!

This is exactly what I was looking for.

I keep seeing this lien thing on some car adverts in Craigslist. I didn't know what it meant.

You have really helped me. So basically I need to make sure that a smog test was passed within 90 days of me purchasing the car. That is very useful info!

Thank you so much.

I have had 4 different w124 a and still have one in UK.
I will be looking to buy one on a couple of weeks.

hope I can find a decent well maintained w124!