E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

LOW on coolant? ideas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 10:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500
LOW on coolant? ideas?

Hi,

I have a W124 230E which had an engine rebuilt 6000 miles ago.

My car is always low on coolant. I was thinking that it might be a damaged head gasket but there are no symptoms

Now, I am thinking that it might be the thermostat which is opening too early and causing too much flow to the radiator.

In traffic, temperature used to be around 80-90 on the cluster. Now it never exceeds the 80 mark.

The radiator fan used to 'roar' a lot before. But now, it seems that the temperature does not get hot enough for the fan to launch.

Any ideas? I hope that the low coolant is linked to the thermostat. Much simpler than replacing a head gasket!
Old 03-16-2015, 12:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
"Now, I am thinking that it might be the thermostat which is opening too early and causing too much flow to the radiator"---are you really serious---go back and read up on coolant systems

"In traffic, temperature used to be around 80-90 on the cluster. Now it never exceeds the 80 mark"----you are something else---so your car is low on coolant and the temp is where it is supposed to be---once again are you serious!

"The radiator fan used to 'roar' a lot before. But now, it seems that the temperature does not get hot enough for the fan to launch."---you are something else-----that is the way the fan is designed---what's your problem!!
Old 03-16-2015, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W220 S500
Originally Posted by Plutoe
"Now, I am thinking that it might be the thermostat which is opening too early and causing too much flow to the radiator"---are you really serious---go back and read up on coolant systems

"In traffic, temperature used to be around 80-90 on the cluster. Now it never exceeds the 80 mark"----you are something else---so your car is low on coolant and the temp is where it is supposed to be---once again are you serious!

"The radiator fan used to 'roar' a lot before. But now, it seems that the temperature does not get hot enough for the fan to launch."---you are something else-----that is the way the fan is designed---what's your problem!!
I understand that the coolant is supposed to make a loop.

Just to let you know that I am using water instead of coolant which is bad.

I was thinking that maybe constant flow of 100% water could possibly evaporate some water??