E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

I'm A New Member: A Few Quick Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320
I'm A New Member: A Few Quick Questions

Greetings all,

I'm a new member to the forum here, although I've been using it to find help articles for the past few months.

My vehicle is a 1995 E320 with 126,000 miles, and a disgusting vinyl-wrap coating.

I picked it up for $900 - when I saw the mileage, inspected it for leaks and etc, I jumped at the opportunity. This appears to have been a mistake, as I've found problem after problem - but this is my own fault.

To date, I have replaced the flex discs and the center driveshaft bearing + support; hard-wired dash illumination into headlight switch (numerous wiring problems); hard wired rear running lights into headlight switch (again, many wiring problems); replaced driver side window motor and lift assembly; replaced headlight switch; replaced coolant level sensor; pulled injectors + fuel rail and replaced o-rings; replaced spark plugs; replaced head gasket; replaced rotors / brake pads.

So, that's a brief summary of the service items I've addressed (and can recall). Now, the problems.

1) When I'm driving, the steering wheel vibrates, and when I brake it pulls sharply to the right. Aside from alignment, what could cause this, and is it something I can inspect myself?

2) Very powerful odor of fuel inside the car when driving. Uneasy Idle after cold start. Very poor acceleration. I've seen posts to the effect of "It's the EHA valve!" but I can't find the EHA valve. If someone could direct me to a service manual or a photo of this specific part, I would be very appreciative.

3) Random green vacuum line hanging loose in my engine compartment. When I can post photos of this, I certainly will.

4) Random plug hanging loose in the engine compartment, near fuse box. When I can post photos, I will do so.

5) None of the doors lock, aside from the trunk which apparently has its own separate lock. I don't hear that vacuum hiss for very long, so I assumed it's not the vacuum... The lock lever will go up and down, I can visibly see that, but the door opens regardless. What do I do about this?

6) I've got some ridiculous after-market air filter installed right now. I want to go back to stock air-box. I bought the airbox, but the fitting doesn't connect. It looks like I'm missing a piece between the hose w/ the MAF and the airbox connector itself. Again, can anyone direct me to a service manual or photo of the airbox connectors so I can determine what I'm missing?

I'm really sorry to throw all this nonsense up in my very first post, but I'm at a loss. I'm extremely pressed for time and even now I'm watching the clock - must be on the road shortly.

If anyone out there can shed some light on any of these problems, or just shove me in the right direction, I'd be grateful. Thank you all for your time and consideration - have a great weekend!

-Gray
(Ahab)
Old 04-19-2015, 06:58 AM

300e
I had the same problem as #2 with my 300E. I did a complete tune up, (Cap, rotor, plugs, wires) that along with a new fuel pressure regulator fixed the gas smell and helped with the hesitation.

#3 could be causing the rough startup and idle. Mine had nearly the same thing believe it or not. It was a green vacuum line going from the drivers firewall to the top of the engine. At the end there was a soft rubber "T" connector. After a lot of searching and studying I found a vacuum line underneath the air cleaner and throttle body that was missing. I still have no idea where the other half of line goes. It still hesitates a bit off the line so I'm thinking some sort of vacuum advance?
Old 04-20-2015, 12:44 PM

1995 E320
Interesting... I inspected the wires thoroughly, they're tied into the coils (no cap or rotor) and look like they're in good shape. No cracks, I ran it in the dark with the cover off looking for arcs, felt the wires themselves, no jolt of electricity.

That vacuum line has me stumped, I looked underneath the throttle body like you said, and there is a vacuum line, but it's attached... I'm going to try to take photos of this today.

Thanks for your input! I'm glad you were able to fix your fuel leak, that's encouraging!