E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Keeping My '89 300CE - Million Questions Tech/Etc.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 300CE
Keeping My '89 300CE - Million Questions Tech/Etc.

So I got a great deal on this car last year. The original plan was to shine it up and turn a nice profit on it. I took a liking to it and the budget car I had on the side wound up going the way of many budget cars before it. Now I've been using and abusing the Benz and the state I've brought her to is really quite shameful. It is for this reason I was going to get myself into something new with one of those fancy warranty thingies. Problem is no bank in their right mind would give an idiot like me a loan to buy a new car. Majorly disappointed and worried for the longevity of my sole means of transport and survival, I got to some deep thinking. This is the second oldest car I've owned in my life and I've done very little for her in the ways of TLC, yet she's been nothing but faithful to me and really quite cost effective as far as repairs go. This says to me I've been viewing this situation all wrong and my problem is actually an opportunity. Though it's hard to tell from the beating I've been giving her this past year my baby is still under 100k and was garage kept for two decades of her existence. Some time and patience and I think she can be at least as good as these hunks of scrap they're rolling off the lots nowadas. Now... long winded introductions aside, here are my questions in order of importance and likely-hood of actual relevance:

What are some good texts/websites with information on my chassis and engine?
What are some good sites/catalogues/lists/directories/stores/junkyards(Hudson Valley, NY area) where I might find parts for my w124?
Any tips and warnings?
Cool mods?
What is the recommended MT to switch to if I ever wanted to convert?
What would be some good reading on this topic?
How does the m103 respond to being turbocharged?
What advanced texts would I want to be familiar with before embarking on such a complex operation?

Just so I don't sound foolish I'd like to reiterate that the first half of the questions are the more important and the other half are probably of more intellectual interest to me.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
What are some good texts/websites with information on my chassis and engine?--subscribe to MB EPC and WIS

What are some good sites/catalogues/lists/directories/stores/junkyards(Hudson Valley, NY area) where I might find parts for my w124?-----call LQK or is it LKQ