E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 E300D Sudden No Interior Lights & Rough Starting

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E300 Diesel
1995 E300D Sudden No Interior Lights & Rough Starting

I've slowly been fixing multiple small niggles with my 1995 E300 Diesel, however recently some problems jumped up that didn't make much sense to me.

Tonight I was checking all my exterior lights by turning on my flashers, headlights, and fogs and while I found a couple small bulbs out in the rear, everything else seemed fine. The odd part came when I went to turn the lights off. My interior lights have always worked, and yet now they didn't. When I opened the door the dome light came on, and my (aftermarket) radio was lit, but nothing else was. All the warning lights in the cluster light when the ignition is turned on and the blinkers flash, but the cluster is not illuminated.

I did have a taillight burn out while I was checking everything, but I'm not sure if that was a coincidence or not. I checked the fuses and they were all fine, but while checking things I noticed that when I slightly depressed the brake pedal the headlight buzzer (or something that sounds like it) very briefly sounds.

Another separate problem only occurs when starting the car when it is cold. The glowplug light comes on and goes off like normal, however once started it feels like the engine is missing for 5 or so seconds if I nurse it to about a minute if I leave it alone. If I apply gas and get to about 1000 rpm, it smooths out and runs normally soon after, even at low rpms. I had something similar happen when a couple glowplugs burned out, but the glowplug light stayed lit for many minutes after starting. The problem stopped after I changed the plugs, but that was about 8 months ago. I haven't done this often, but if seems that if I leave the ignition on for a while, a bit over a minute, it takes a while to start but it does not run rough.

Hopefully some of yall can help me out, and I'd like to say thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:34 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Interior lights---test front/rear SAM and or PSE under rear seat.

"once started it feels like the engine is missing for 5 or so seconds"--sounds like you have a couple of bad cylinders----do a compression test---alternatively--when was the last time you tested the "pop off" on your injectors !!