E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Newbie post - blower motor for a/c not working..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1989 300CE, 1994 E320 Coupe
Newbie post - blower motor for a/c not working..

Hi all,

not new to the forum, but it's been so long I can't get the old name going and don't feel like hassling the admins

I recently bought an '89 300 CE from a friend. He's not handy with tools, and the car had some issues he thought would be pricey. He knows I like to mess with these German things so he sold it to me for a very fair price.

Most issues turned out to be very minor. Three windows didn't go down, but they just needed new switches. "Terminal" oil leak turned out to be a horribly installed valve cover gasket - the horseshoe cutout in the back of the M103 motor wasn't close to being properly fitted, so 6 bucks and 30 minutes later the leaks are gone, and the motor is strong and smooth. Little things like a worn steering wheel, broken sunvisor, faded center console wood and a dented hood were all replaced with one trip to the local pick-your-part - 50 bucks worth thanks to a 50% off Memorial day weekend sale. I've had a couple W126's but this is my first W124, and I have to say, I'm hooked.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the one problem that resists being quickly solved. The blower motor won't turn engage. The a/c compressor engages, and when you push the climate control buttons to change airflow you can hear the flaps move to redirect air.. but no fan blowing.

I switched out the climate control panel twice.

Pulled the blower motor (THAT took a while, buried under the wiper assembly and roughly 1,007 different fasteners and cowl pieces), replaced it with another one, nothing.

Found the fusible link was broken, replaced that. Still nothing.

Read in a W124 manual that "fuse 12" could be a culprit. That was empty on my car, put the proper fuse in that.. still nothing.

The only part that might still be suspect is the used blower motor, which I admit I did not test - but the old one actually did work when I just attached it to a battery, so that may not be the issue.

Is there anything I might have missed?

Thanks in advance...
Old 06-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
Go back to square one and start your putzing----then think about the blower motor resistor(fan speeds)
Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1989 300CE, 1994 E320 Coupe
...yeah didn't know about that. Quick google search revealed that to be a known issue. So... Back to dismantling the cowl again lol. Huge thanks for that, might as well install a new one (and a fresh blower motor that's tested as well) to prevent going in there again any time soon.