E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Frontal Collision - Help Required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w124
Frontal Collision - Help Required

Hi Guys,

I am very new to the forum, so first of all; hello everyone!

I created this post since my beloved w124-1990 sedan has recently been involved in a crash and I am currently in the process of considering whether it is economically viable to start fixing the car or not.

On top of that, the day before the crash, the car had both the engine and the transmission overhauled and the paint repaired and polished. In short, it has regained its former glory for just under 24 hours unfortunately.

Now, let’s talk business,

I’ve done an evaluation of the damage based upon what I can see without having the car lifted up on a hoist.

The parts that have to be replaced are as follows:

1. Bonnet
2. Front grille
3. L/H front indicator
4. L/H Headlight
5. L/H Filler panel
6. R/H Filler panel
7. Horn
8. A/C Fans
9. Radiator
10. Radiator fan (the yellow one)
11. Radiator plastic cover
12. Respray (or cut & polish) front bumper in order to eliminate minor surface scratches

NOW: The thing that bothers me the most is the distorted slam panel. I am not quite sure how the above mentioned panel is fitted and I don’t know if it can be repaired or if it has to be cut out and welded back in.

Please feel free to give me all sorts of ideas since I’ve never been involved in a crash like this and I am willing to do my best in order to get the car back on the road.

Please note that I am willing to use both, new and second hand parts i.e bonnet, headlight, indicator etc.

You can also access the pictures of the vehicle by opening the following link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oae1gsv6g...9gP3jDq-a?dl=0

Cheers,
J.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:15 PM

300E 3.2
Sorry to hear about your collision and even worse to see the pics. Your car was definitely a beauty! Is there insurance involved? Through insurance the car would definitely be totaled. You'll normally have the option to buy it back to repair. How many miles on the car and what did you recently have done engine/transmission wise?

You are going to have quite a few parts beyond your list to source. The body parts are going to be the easy stuff with so many parts cars out there. The smaller mechanical/electrical stuff especially when you start getting into the front of that engine is where my concern is. Benzworld.org is also another good forum/resource for information.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 AM

w124
Originally Posted by PhilfromPA
Sorry to hear about your collision and even worse to see the pics. Your car was definitely a beauty! Is there insurance involved? Through insurance the car would definitely be totaled. You'll normally have the option to buy it back to repair. How many miles on the car and what did you recently have done engine/transmission wise?

You are going to have quite a few parts beyond your list to source. The body parts are going to be the easy stuff with so many parts cars out there. The smaller mechanical/electrical stuff especially when you start getting into the front of that engine is where my concern is. Benzworld.org is also another good forum/resource for information.
I live in Australia so essentially the insurance is not involved at all and we can consider the car as a private project.

The car has roughly made 200.000 miles at this stage. Since it is a 300e-24v, we have overhauled the head gasket, changed all belts and seals, overhauled the transmission, including replacement of both clutches, eliminated a few coolant leaks, fixed a few vacuum-related issues, made sure all electronics runs smoothly and touched up the entire body as there was a few chips here and there. Please note that the car has never been in a collision before. That means that all panels were factory-original.

The electro mechanical parts being affected are the A/C and the radiator which is obviously broken. Since the radiator was pushed back towards the engine, the radiator fan (the yellow one) got stuck just under an inch away from the drive belt. Thankfully the drive belt hasn't ripped and the engine runs no problem.

My biggest concern however is to see how can I potentially fix the slam panel which was quite severely distorted on the left hand side of the vehicle.

The panel I am talking about is the following one:

http://www.carbodypanels4u.co.uk/mer...et-slam-panel/

Thanks,