E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

W124 300TD 4Matic with malfunction - worth buying?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opel Corsa 1.5 TD
W124 300TD 4Matic with malfunction - worth buying?

Hello everyone,

First of all, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Pedro, I'm 21 and I'm from Portugal. I've been driving an old hand-me-down Corsa for the past year or so, and I'm finally in a position where I can buy my first Mercedes.

That leads me onto my question: I've seen an add posted for a 1990 300TD (turbodiesel - not the wagon) W124 with a malfunctioning 4Matic system. Essentially, the owner says it's only RWD at the moment - but I'm still not sure *why*.
Now, I've been trying to educate myself on the 4Matic system, and as far as I understood, the first gen (up to 1991 I think?) 4Matics weren't exactly very reliable. Fixing the entire system is financially out of the question for now, so what I'd like to ask is whether it'd be feasable to simply remove the driveshaft that links the transfer case to the front axle and use it as a RWD only vehicle? I understand that in Mode 0 the car is 100% RWD anyway, but I have no idea if doing this will put any extra stress on the drivetrain, or if it would do any damage to the transfer case or something...

Of course, the malfunction can also be caused by a faulty sensor, and, as far as I was able to understand, there is a test lever I can pull somewhere that engages 4WD mode. This would be helpful to diagnose whether it's just a sensor causing the issues or not, but I'm assuming worst case scenario here.
However, if it is just the sensors' fault, is it possible to lock the car in Mode 0 permanentely, or is this something that is done automatically?

I understand I'm sounding a bit ingorant by asking whether buying a broken Mercedes is a good idea or not... but to be honest I have absolutley no need for 4WD since I drive almost always in city traffic, and the weather is sunny pretty much all the time. Plus, I wouldn't really mind the slightly lower fuel consumption... Besides, this is a pretty rare car over here, and I'd love to fix it up eventually.

Any input highly appreciated.

Best Regards
Old 04-26-2016, 01:06 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
If you gotta drive and MB---I would go for it,however i would first take the car to a shop that you know well and have them mechanically inspect the car and then just keep fixing things as they go bad---when all said and done you need local transportation not the auto pisto.

If things go bad you can always export the car to Iran!!