E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Seat belt presenter diagnosis help required

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Seat belt presenter diagnosis help required

Hi guys, I've bought an E320 Cabriolet with a few issues to restore. One of which is the seat belt presenters not working. I've gotten the interior plastics off to have a closer look and was surprised to find both harness connectors for the modules unplugged...the main unit under the seat and also a connector into the rear presenter unit (passenger side rear because it's a RHD car).

Seat belt presenter diagnosis help required-20160602_160014_zpsezsmopnf.jpg

Seat belt presenter diagnosis help required-20160602_155848_zpswzlwni9z.jpg

Can anybody please advise the best cause of action to take next? The teeth on the little white cog thing appear to be fine so I'm guessing the issue is electrical (seems like there's quite a few electrical gremlins that this car has because the rear head restraints don't operate from the switch at the rear, nor does one of the rear windows, but they do operate as normal from the controls at the front of the car)

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for the seat belt presenters and can anybody hazard a guess as to why the modules would be unplugged? Possible known short or battery drain issue?

Is there a way to hard wire/jump start the seat belt presenters so that I can rule out the motors/hardware being the issue?

I guess the obvious thing to do would be to plug them in, but I'm guessing there was a reason why they were unplugged and I'm a bit nervous about disturbing an evil electrical gremlin.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Post your VIN------plus translate seatbelt presenters??
Old 06-03-2016, 05:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts
W212 - E63 AMG
Chassis no.
WDB1240662B996778

Seat belt presenter == the mechanism that brings the seat belt closer to you when you get in the car.

I spoke to a mechanic that used to work on the car before i bought it and he said that it was unplugged because the module had gone faulty due to water ingress over the winter and it will need a new module.

Right then....time for a new module, it seems!

For what it's worth, once that module was connected, the rear head rests were able to operate up/down from the switch in the rear of the car. The Arial for the radio also started working too (or maybe it was working before?) but the seat belt things didn't work.