E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Mercedes Benz W 124 from India

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz E 220 (W124)
Mercedes Benz W 124 from India

Hello, Im Ram from India and I own a 1996 Mercedes Benz 220 with gasoline engine.
My W124 has done 75000 kms and runs maginificently, except only one problem I have been having :
  • When Im driving on an incline down/slanting road and when I need to brake and press the clutch, the engine dies with in seconds of pressing the clutch.
  • When im driving on a plain road or even an uphill, I dont have anmy engine stalling when i do the same action of pressing the clutch while I need to brake.
  • When going down the incline,if I put the gear to neutral and cruise down, the engine doesnt stall even if i press the clutch.
This peculiar problem in my W124 is giving me nightmares, even in city rides, if Im driving on a slight slanting down road, the engine stalls when the clutch is pressed.

Can any one provide me a diagnosis for this problem and a possible solution, I will deeply appreciate.
Thanks...Ram
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes Benz W 124 from India-dsc_0306.jpg   Mercedes Benz W 124 from India-dsc_0308.jpg  
Old 07-12-2016, 12:27 PM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Welcome to you . Only thing i can think of is a vacumm leak .Check all the small pipes you can find in the engine . And the little rubber conectors that join them to other parts of the system. Do you have the economy gauge in the speedo .If so what is it reading at tick over. Next check all earth points and clean them up with emery paper,add a little grease before re fitting them. Then turn all the fuses in their holders . Then let us know if it gets any better .