E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New Member - First Question. Post - Bosch Reman Injectors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 250 TD
New Member - First Question. Post - Bosch Reman Injectors

Hello MB World! New member here to the forum, and recently new ownership of a 1989 250TD 5 speed. 250,000 kilometers.

Not sure if I should maybe post this in the 201 section, as this engine mainly in the 190d north american units.....

Looking for feedback on next step diagnostics.
The 602.912 engine in my 89 250td was making a pretty noticeable idle noise. (assumed nailing) When RPMS came up, noise was gone.
Put the Moly through it, (diesel purge) noise sounded noticeably better, but it did sadly return once back on diesel.

Then proceeded to inspect / clean injectors, took them apart only to have all 5 bottom housing pieces crack (inside the threads) when I separated them.
Internal parts didn't seem overly dirty, but something must have gotten inside as the threads were all rusted or were over torqued previously.

I was going to upgrade to Monarch nozzles, however I needed all new bottom housings, searched only with no luck for used / bottom housing injectors.

I purchased 5 Bosch reman India injectors, figured I would be able to just plug them right in and be done. (A risk I know)
I prayed that many of the bad reman Bosch injector reviews were simply cases of bad experiences, and that there have been numerous unreported good experiences.
(also, that many bad reviews for the India reman units stem back to 2001-2004, hoped that maybe Bosch stepped their game up at the India facility)

Never the less, needed new bottom housing regardless.
$80 x 5 for the reman units, I was going to have the originals tested once put back together with $170 Monarchs at my local shop for $20 a piece.
So I really am only $130 in the hole.

**Getting now to the punch line - (you probably guessed it)***

After install, the noise is still kind of there.
It rattles, just not as bad. Before I had to get to almost 1500-1800 rpm to make it sound smooth. Now only when I get to 800-1000 rpm the noise subsides.

My first instinct was to take them all out again, get them tested.

Now considering - trying to single out individual injectors (not paying to have a Reman unit tested only to be told its fine)
Think to first get a stethoscope, see if i can hear a difference between injectors.
Then do a flow test, using the return lines. Is that possible / good idea?

Or perhaps, there is somewhere else I should consider checking first.......

Will try to add video....

Looking for some feedback?
Thanks! & Happy Veterans Day!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
W124 260E
Dont know much about disel , but can it be the glow plugs .Welcome by the way to the forum .Just hang on in here ,you should get a better answer soon.