E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Help with Fault Code Please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 300E
Help with Fault Code Please

I searched the forums but couldnt find the answer:

I used my home-brew LED tool to read the fault code off my 1991 300E, and came up with code 9 or "Current to Electro-hydraulic actuator". Does this mean my EHA is bad? Or does this mean that a sensor or something that sends the current is bad. I realize this code could be inconclusive to the problem, but i was hoping there was a common problem that made the engine throw this fault code.

Please help as I've just spent a lot of money on repairs and would like to be able to do this one myself if I only knew that the problem was.

Just replaced the oxygen sensor 100 miles ago, and have checked over the installation 100 times.

UPDATE: Sometimes the DM will also give me code 17 which is "Oxygen sensor Signal" (not code 5 which is just Oxygen Sensor), is this related?

2nd Update: tested New oxygen sensor with voltmeter, and it showed .88v at idle and fluctuated when the throttle was depressed. (testing done when engine was just under 80C). Is this normal?
Old 07-24-2004, 05:25 PM
Jer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
If there is a problem with current to the EHA, there may be a wiring fault.

The best way to check the O2 sensor is to hook up your multimeter on the duty cycle setting to the X11 diagnostic port you used for fault code interrogation. The engine should be at operating temp, which is 80C, not below it. The needle should fluctuate. If it stands still there is a problem with the injection system.