E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Failed NJ State Inspection for ODBII/Emissions Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 MB E420 Sport
Failed NJ State Inspection for ODBII/Emissions Failure

I went thru NJ State Inspection and I failed for OBDII/Emissions system failure. I dont understand because my mechanic just connected to it on sat with no problem and did a diagnoses can anyone shed some light on this. Please Help!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
Need more information as to what actually failed, did it fail to communicate?
Old 03-05-2008, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
the results of the test.
Did it fail because of I/m not ready message?
Did your mechanic clear any codes prior to the test?
Go to
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta..._stores.taf#NJ
pick up the $39 obd2 scan tool they will meet the internet price if you take the online ad. read the codes that are stored and the I/M readiness messages.Post them here.
ohlord
Old 03-06-2008, 05:22 PM

97 MB E420 Sport
Originally Posted by RobertG
Need more information as to what actually failed, did it fail to communicate?
Yes it failed to communicate
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
things with and without wheels
I would try a different inspection station. I came accross this issue few times or was indirectly involved, what it boils down to is this, that the inspection station's equipment is not up to par; loose connection due to multiple use.
As long as it's a OBDII vehicle (1996 or newer) and the vehicle is running fine and there is no service engine soon light illuminated ,then it's their equpiment malfunction(why would they fail your car?).
Most of these places have unskilled workers that have no idea about what they are doing and they make it seem like they are doing you a favor for inspecting your vehicle. The whole inspection is governed by a computer program and machines with very little human input.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Also, if your mechanic cleared the codes, which is easy to do, you need to run the car around 45 minutes to generate a new "ok" code.

I failed this a few weeks ago because I put in a new battery the day before I went to the DMV and forgot to drive around enough to reset it.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by RBrenton
Also, if your mechanic cleared the codes, which is easy to do, you need to run the car around 45 minutes to generate a new "ok" code.

I failed this a few weeks ago because I put in a new battery the day before I went to the DMV and forgot to drive around enough to reset it.
Yikes, RBrenton. That is one scary avatar. I almost had a seizure having been unprepared when I logged on.

NJ DMV is a black hole, how hard would it be be to tell someone some detail around the nature of the problem. Usually running your car for 45 minutes is not a problem becasue the lines are at least that long plus the drive over. Going back again and saying that your garage tested perfectly is a cheap option but NJ's inspectors are mostly chuchleheads who don't care
to help anyome so they tend to leave it as your problem.

You didn't by any chance use the Randolph station, of the several that I have used they are the least helpful and efficient and most thick skulled.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
Ah Good Ole NJ DMV!

Gotta hate them!

I had a honda that they failed, when I got to the end of the inspection. Each step of the way I was told it passed. When I told the sticker inspector everyone had indicated I had passed, he looked at the card and said I had failed the immisions test. He passed me and said the exhaust guy was drunk and just punched to close to the fail. I was livid that I could have been burned into doing more useless repairs that were not required.

I only use an indeperndent now. $60 bucks or so, but NOBODY is going to subject my vehicles to the shake until it falls apart machine. NOBODY!
Bruce

PS I wish I could have my car inspected in Pa. and respected by NJ.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 AM

'06 E 350 4matic wagon; '05 E 500 4matic sedan; '09 S550 4matic
Originally Posted by BENZITCH
Ah Good Ole NJ DMV!

Gotta hate them!

I had a honda that they failed, when I got to the end of the inspection. Each step of the way I was told it passed. When I told the sticker inspector everyone had indicated I had passed, he looked at the card and said I had failed the immisions test. He passed me and said the exhaust guy was drunk and just punched to close to the fail. I was livid that I could have been burned into doing more useless repairs that were not required.

I only use an indeperndent now. $60 bucks or so, but NOBODY is going to subject my vehicles to the shake until it falls apart machine. NOBODY!
Bruce

PS I wish I could have my car inspected in Pa. and respected by NJ.
My most recent escapade in Randolph was having them temporarily close my lane for 40 minutes but they would not let us move to another lane saying it would be back on line shortly. Then when I was done the guy said I failed because the drivers side mirror was borken (the old brown tint problem but it still worked fine). So I asked the guy at the end what was broken- he looked at it and said he didn't see anything wrong so he went back and asked the guy who flunked me and said "hey, I would have passed you but..." We had one decent station in Somerville so they closed it.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:01 AM

1991 560SEC Teal 1989 420SEL Ice Blue 1984 500SEC White
Do you recall the Inspection station on Rte.1 at the drivein? If it were raining or snowing they would close it. I want to say it was in Edison, maybe Monmouth Junction. Used to use it with a car that smoked a bit, since it was outside... You get the idea.
Bruce
Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM

1998 VW Jetta TDI
I failed for communications

I took my car to Nj Motor Vehicle inspection and I failed for emmissions because Motor Vehicle could not Communicate with my cars computer! After that I went to 3 different NJ independent inspectors only to find out that none of them could communicate with my car either. I have a $50.00 hand held scanner and it has no problem communicating with my car! Does anyone have the fix for that.

Thanks in Advance

Rick!
Old 06-02-2010, 04:59 PM

2001 E320 4matic
Wow do I miss sealing with NJ DOT..... Although PA DOT has its own quirks. Especially if like me one is a green card holder.