E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Advice on Air intake.........

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Air intake.........

Ok guys this summer I am going to start spending money on the car for some much needed repairs and such. What I wanted to know is do you all think the cold air intake make that much of a difference. Without a doubt I am buying a K&H Air filter but I need to know if I should buy the silver tube and the filter or the square on for the factory box.

Your help will be appreciated because I don't know if I will see any improvement verses the two. I am a person that thinks K&H makes a difference so please chime in.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by HTBenz
Ok guys this summer I am going to start spending money on the car for some much needed repairs and such. What I wanted to know is do you all think the cold air intake make that much of a difference. Without a doubt I am buying a K&H Air filter but I need to know if I should buy the silver tube and the filter or the square on for the factory box.

Your help will be appreciated because I don't know if I will see any improvement verses the two. I am a person that thinks K&H makes a difference so please chime in.
Tried several different types of (COLD AIR) intakes...None made any extra HP!
Old 05-18-2005, 01:03 PM

2001 E320 (210.065), Brilliant Silver; 2002 Ducati ST-2, Arrest-me Red
Thumbs up MBZ must be doing a good job...

on the air intake system because no one reputable seems to make a replacement.

Those junky silver tubes and conical filters you see aren't really "cold air" intakes since they eliminate the airbox and actually suck air from the engine compartment. (By way of comparison, a friend of mine has a couple of Denalis and lots of companies make true c/a intakes; the Volant he has on one is awesome and did improve HP and acceleration times based on G-Tech readings. The K&N kit he has in the other gave about the same improvement but doesn't look as awesome.) Not only is the engine compartment air warm, it's also dirtier, so you'd be cleaning the filter more often.

Like you, I've always believed K&N made a positive difference and was worth the expense. I've been a K&N guy starting with my motorcycling days, and I feel strongly enough about them that a new K&N was the first purchase I made for my W210 (okay, other than fuel). Whether it improves performance, I can't tell, but my main reason for using them is improved filtration and improved airflow. Not to mention that if you clean and re-oil it every once in a while it lasts forever. Since it's in the stock airbox and intake, if there is a performance increase I'd guess it's not dramatic. I did notice a mild increase in fuel economy, .5 mpg or so for steady highway cruising, and with gas prices where they are, it will pay for itself.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
Old 05-18-2005, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
if you get the cone far enough away from the engine (put it down behind the front bumper near the foglights) and insulate it properly, you can improve both the temperature and the amount of air you're bringing into the engine. You may need to have a pipe bent to get the cone in a good position, we're talking about this on the clk (208) boards.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
I would go with just the K&N drop-in (rectangle shape) in the factory air box. If you look at the design of the MBZ air box, it is already very nicely designed. The intake snorkel is grille level and high mounted, not ground level where you can suck water in a rain storm. If you go with a cone, you are probably not gaining much because you will mainly be sucking hot air. Also, be careful when selecting cone style filters, calculate the surface are of the cone, many times it is actually smaller than the stock filter.

The only real gain I could see with the stock air box is somehow enlarging the intake snorkel tube. But it would probably not yield much.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:45 PM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
Chevrolet Chevette, Ford Pinto, Pontiac Aztek, Trabant, Yugo GV (and all the worst cars ever built)
Best way...

As far as I am concerned the best way to increase horsepower without having to go the route of snake oil treatments, oriental herbs, computer chip, electric fans to the air filter, yada-yada, bla bla ..

... is to trade in my E320 for an E430.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks guys you confirmed what I thought my self. I will just buy a K&H air filter and call it a day.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by HTBenz
Thanks guys you confirmed what I thought my self. I will just buy a K&H air filter and call it a day.
Wait a minute, u've been saying K&H.....do actually you mean K&N or u talking about something else?
Old 05-18-2005, 11:32 PM

My brother tells me this all the time and I can never get it right. I do mean K&N now if i can rememeber this time.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
Force Induction
Old 05-19-2005, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 W210 Advantgarde
Originally Posted by Richard023
Force Induction
You never told us how the Gruppe M one worked out in the end.....