E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Homelink Garage Door Opener No Worky

Old 09-20-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Homelink Garage Door Opener No Worky

All right, I've been through the steps listed in the mbusa.com online owner's help and nothing at all. No worky. I've been through the homelink.com owner's website and nothing.

The first step is to press both outside buttons and within 20 seconds the light will flash. That step doesn't even work, so I can't get to the other steps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Gee, I programmed my 2002 Lexus and it worked the first time......hehehehe stirring the pot )
Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
so you've done this as shown, yes? ----> visor flick
Old 09-21-2005, 09:28 AM

Yup.

It won't even "wake up" as that video calls it. I push the outside two buttons (#1 and #3 if you will) and hold it for over a minute and nothing happens...no blinking lights like it should.

I have followed through with the other directions and still nothing. I'm thinking I have to figure out how to "wake it up" and get it to be ready to be reprogrammed.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:33 AM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Does the light come on when you open your vanity mirror? If it doesn't you may need to clean the electrical contacts.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:14 AM

Wifey drove it to work...I will check it out when she gets home. She left mad at me, so maybe she won't come home.

I'll look at that, thanks.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 Lunar Blue GL550, 06 Imola Red BMW X5 4.8is, 04 Gold Honda Ody
When you fix the electrical problems use the tips in the link below to rpogram it:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=homelink
Old 09-21-2005, 12:35 PM

This is what I've done:

1) Pushed both outside buttons to attempt to erase the old codes. All the instructions say that after 20 seconds the amber light will start blinking.

RESULT: After over a minute of holding both buttons, the amber light never blinked, started blinking, or moved off of the steady amber light. I tried this with the car off, the ignition set to on, & the car running.

2) I pushed the button I wished to program along with the garage door opener at the same time for over 20 seconds.

RESULT: No apparent result, as I don't think there should be one at this step as I've a rolling code garage door opener.

3) I pushed the "learn" button on the opener unit, then scrambled down the ladder (jumped really) and pushed the appropriate button that I wished to program 3 times for 2 seconds each, as instructed.

RESULT: Nothing at all.

I've tried these steps in this exact order 7 times. Once with the car off, once with the ignition set to on, once with the car running, once with the car off and programming a different button than the original time, once with the ignition set to on and again a different button, once with the car on and again a different button, and once with the ignition set to on and button #3 attempted to be programmed.

My wife called from work and I had her run out to the car and see if the vanity mirror lights worked and they did.

I'm about to give up.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Almost a Member!

Hello PHXATC,

What year is this vehicle? I thought 2002-W210's have the buttons on the interior rear view mirror, not the visor that contain the vanity mirror lights.

Second, the vanity mirror lights are wired through the contacts in that visor clip, on 1996-1999 W210's, the opener that is in the visor is wired through a separate connector that runs inside the visor mount where it screws to the headliner.

Next, If the opener buttons are in the visor, then the color of the LED is very important. When you press the buttons - A Red LED indicates a non-HOMELINK compatible system. Orange LED is HOMELINK (rolling code) compatible. I'm guessing amber is also orange in your case.

Finally, if pressing buttons 1 and 3 to reset the opener is not working, check to see if each button works individually. You may have a bad button. Sometimes the first step of pressing both buttons can take a minute or so, I would always have the vehicle running just to ensure sufficient voltage when programming.

Let's start with this, after your reply, based on the info, I'll see if I can add anything else. Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 PM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

1998 E430; 2007 Porsche 911 C4S Cabriolet; 2011 Expedition EL Limited; 2014 E350 Estate
Second, the vanity mirror lights are wired through the contacts in that visor clip, on 1996-1999 W210's, the opener that is in the visor is wired through a separate connector that runs inside the visor mount where it screws to the headliner.
Ah sorry bout my comment then. Didn't know there was a separate electric connection for the home link and the vanity mirror lights.
Old 09-21-2005, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
Ha PHXATC, Queen Creek, I am just north of you in Mesa if you need any help.

The rubber buttons in the visor can curl over under the palstic cover so they may not be making contact with the actual buttons. Push each one and see it the LED lights.

Note what color the LED is. 96 and 97 have the older red LEDs, 98 has the amber. Only the 98 amber LED module will work with rolling codes. The 96 and 97 visor modules are not good for much.

Take the visor down and check the connector at the visor piviot joint. They may be damaged.

The outer buttons held together reset the memory. Once programed for rolling code remote the LED flashed when pressed and the garage door opener needs to be programed after you program the visor module.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:54 PM

Thanks fellas.

It is a 2002 E320 with the buttons on the mirror. I was wondering why I would check the vanity mirror lights, but hey, I'm cool with the help. Now, I just need to explain to my wife why I had her go out from her work into the parking lot and check on that...hmmmmmmmm...the percolator valve needed to let some excess ions flow through the vanity mirror lights in order to recharge the battery flow terminals.

E-Klasse, I might just have to wander up to Mesa if I can't figure it out.

We have soccer practice with our daughter this evening, so I will attempt to program this again this evening and let you all know the results.

I appreciate the input. I'm sure it's something stupid that I'm doing or not doing. It always is.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Phoenix ATC ?? hats off to you. how tough is it down in your sector?
Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 PM

Obviously pretty damn tough as I can't get my garage door opener to work!

I am occupying a position as a supe in the tower, toughest thing is dealing with the morons above and the whining below about previously mentioned morons above and their "policies." It pays the bills though. I could write a book about this stuff and be rich.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
i'm one of those private pilot jockeys asking you '.....uh....say again?' j/k
Old 09-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Almost a Member!

97 E420
my other car...

Raymond,

My other car is a Cessna Citation 501 - 6 seater

Old 09-26-2005, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
dude! no way!! I hate your guts! let me know when you need ballast or
someone to keep you awake. would love to ride shotgun just once.

was down at BFI and one of the hangers has a Falcon.....adjacent to the
one with that coffee mogul's name. the Falcon was previously owned by
Oprah's, before she moved up to a larger set of wings. was allowed to sit in
left seat and make vroom noises.

you set me up, I'll help you fit bix for your ride
Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
MG
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is a 2002 E320 with the buttons on the mirror. I was wondering why I would check the vanity mirror lights, but hey, I'm cool with the help. Now, I just need to explain to my wife why I had her go out from her work into the parking lot and check on that...hmmmmmmmm...the percolator valve needed to let some excess ions flow through the vanity mirror lights in order to recharge the battery flow terminals.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Almost a Member!

97 E420
remote...

I cant get mine to work either, however I am able to get the lights to blink by holding the left and the right buttons together. And this used to work fine on my other house garage.

It just no longer works with the garage door on my new house. It is not compatible with the Genie billion rolling security codes i think... and I hit the learn button as well on the base unit in the garage.

--Raymond.

waitin on pratt & whitney to ground ship a replacement turbine for my #2.
will be back up in a few weeks (waiting2months and counting)hopefully, since they stopped making citations in '85, getting turbofan parts has become as difficult as finding gas last week in houston. and dont even get me going on the gas prices...
Old 09-27-2005, 05:51 PM

I'm still working on this...I haven't had time with my daughter's sick (we think) horse occupying all my spare time.

Ya'd think it was my horse. :p
Old 09-27-2005, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 C300
From the manual

Try going to the homelink web page for help.
Attached Thumbnails Homelink Garage Door Opener No Worky-door-opener-1.jpg   Homelink Garage Door Opener No Worky-door-opener-2.jpg   Homelink Garage Door Opener No Worky-door-opener-3.jpg  
Old 09-27-2005, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Originally Posted by osiris667
It just no longer works with the garage door on my new house. It is not compatible with the Genie billion rolling security codes i think... and I hit the learn button as well on the base unit in the garage.
I have Genie rolling code opener though the visor opener on my 99 E320
is functional with this. Not to assume that it should with yours though.
Wonder if Genie changed anything to make this problematical for the
Homelink/Benz system.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:29 PM

After you do all this to the visor you have to go to your garage door motor and push the memory switch. It will then give you about 20 seconds to push the visor button so the garage can learn the code from the visor.

I fought with this issue trying to program the visor repeatedly. I never knew I had to "train" the garage opener too.
Old 02-26-2016, 10:08 PM

2007 C230 W/AMG factory kit.
Hate to wake an old thread but what was the solution? Defective?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 PM

SL500
Homelink - Found the solution

I was trying to make my Homelink, 2004 SL500, work for weeks. Nothing worked, even the tech at MB dealer had given up on his own MB. Finally made it work and think I found out why it finally worked.

1. Ignition key must be in position 2!! Not in position 1 or engine started. MUST be in position 2.
2. Park right underneath the garage door unit when pushing the learn button on the motor housing.

These two steps made all the difference. Following those, I programmed my Homelink, no problem.

Hope this will help others.
The following users liked this post:
giovannihCLK (08-31-2016)
Old 08-31-2016, 10:12 PM

CLK350
I think mike90715's post has very important piece of information.

I had same issue as some of the people here - able to reset using left + right but cannot successfully program the garage door opener (GDO).
I have 2006 CLK 350 and it has Home Link in the rear view mirror.
My GDO is old Genie Blue Max made somewhere around 90's.

I can reset the Home Link and I know the GDO is working right since I can successfully program in other two cars that I have - Lexus RX 350 (2011) and Honda Odyssey (2016)
Long story short, here's what I did after trying more than 20 times.

1. Make sure the key is in position 2, not 1, or start.
2. Try position the remote at least 5 inches away and try different angles for the remote to transmit RF signal to your Home Link on the car.
3. To make sure you don't cook the motor on your GDO, I would strongly suggest you to unplug the power. You will still be able to program without the power of GDO motor unit.

Last but not least, I will copy email from Home Link customer service which might help you as well.

================================================== =====
Thank you for contacting HomeLink Support. Below is a response to your recent contact with us.

The reason for your call today: to get assistance programming the Homelink in your 2006 Mercedes CLK.

As we discussed: you said that your garage door is older and there is not a learn button in it.

Generally speaking, the faster the programming steps can be accomplished, the more likely our customers will meet with programming success. Also it is useful if you have fresh battery in the remote and if you park the vehicle just outside the garage door, pointing in, with the hood not further than about three feet outside the door.

If any button in your vehicle is already successfully programmed, begin with step two.

Your vehicle should be running or in accessory position.

1. Press and hold the 2 outer HomeLink buttons (1 & 3) release both buttons when the indicator light changes from a solid light to a rapid flash (this will take approximately 20 seconds). NOTE: Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Position the hand-held remote control as close as possible to the HomeLink button you would like to program. Simultaneously press and hold both the desired HomeLink button and the hand-held remote control button. Do not release until the LED light starts to rapidly flash.

When it won't train, try these things:

(you have already replaced the battery)

• Check the position of the hand-held remote. The remote should be as close as possible to the HomeLink buttons. (NOTE: if the HomeLink buttons are on the rearview mirror or the visor, hold the hand-held remote behind the mirror or visor closer to HomeLink button number 3.)

• Hold the hand-held remote at different angles & lengths. (Example: Over button number 3, cycling the remote, or move the remote back and forth in front of the HomeLink buttons, while still holding the desired HomeLink button and the remote.)

• Try "cycling" the hand-held remote every 2-3 seconds. Some remotes quit transmitting the signal after a few seconds. (NOTE: unplug the garage door opener while doing this) To cycle a hand-held remote you press and release the remote every 2-3 seconds while continuing to hold the HomeLink button down.

Note: for Linear MegaCode transmitters, try cycling the hand-held remote every 8-9 seconds.

• On "older" non-rolling code garage door openers, have the customer hold the remote from 5-8 inches away and then move the remote in closer to the HomeLink.

• Try multiple remotes one remote may be stronger than the other.

If you need further assistance or have questions, please feel free to email me back. If you would prefer that I call you back, please email me the best phone number and time to reach you. Please use incident number 160831-001497.

Sincerely,
Ann

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Homelink Garage Door Opener No Worky