E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Door switches, interior lights, remote locking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door switches, interior lights, remote locking

Since I've had the car (2000 E320), a couple of things interest me. When I lock the car with the remote the lights do not blink, but they blink once when unlocking. (remote locking and unlocking funcitions are good)

I always thought that the interior lights were not going to go out if set to go on when doors open. I have just read that they will go out in about 5 minutes. That seems like a long time for the interior lights to go out after getting out of the car. Lots of folks will always come up and notify me that I forgot to turn out my inside lights.

Previously, I could sit in the car and hit the switch which enables door-open lighting and they would stay off until I opened my driver's door. Just this morning, I find that when I push that switch, the lights come on even with the doors closed. I opened and reclosed firmly all the doors.

I am suspecting that one of the door sensor switches is bad (I read once something about that being the cause for the remote locking not blinking the lights). I was hoping this morning that I could turn on the door-open lighting switch and open each door until one did not turn on the lights, and that might be the one. But now, with the lights coming on with all doors closed, that test won't work, I guess. (I'm sure I'm using the correct switch button for this)

Can someone tell me where the door switches are located and how they might be tested individually? This is a small thing, but one which I'd like to try to fix outside the dealer. There's no warrantee now and I'm hoping to be able to do this in the same manner that I successfully changed out my rear door window regulator. Dumb luck and persistance.

Thanks, for any suggestions about this problem.

Brian - Yakima, WA
2000 E320
Old 10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
'sup, Brian....the switch should be in the door jamb, near the driver's seat....
below the door latch. to access it completely (eg to remove) you will have
to remove some interior moulding/fascia. usually, it will be the driver side
switch being the offending part....i dunno...maybe because we use that
door more often?!

another thought comes to mind is to do complete reset of circuitry. remove
battery cable for 30 mins or so and reconnect. but be aware that if you
choose this route, you will have to reset driver settings and resync
Old 10-12-2005, 01:00 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi, Raymond,

Got rain?? I'd love to be able to drive the Goldwing up to Friday Harbor this weekend, but I think it's going to be too wet. Phooey!

Thanks for the info about the door switches. When I had been trying to figure this out before, I was able to set the switch for door-open lighting and then open the driver's door to get them to come on. Now they just come on at the press of the button every time. So I think you might be right about the driver's door switch (or not). But I think there is also one of the other switches that is foul because of the situation with the non-blinking lights (from the first that I've had the car - about 8 months, now) when I lock with the remote.

Hope I can figure it out.

Thanks again,

Brian
Old 10-12-2005, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
My ride is the 99...my brother's is the 2000 E320 which he left with me
while he is out playing soldier. PM me your phone number and maybe
I can sit in it and we can talk each other into making some sense of
all this. heh heh....kinda like Dumb n Dumber, pt II.

Goldwing, eh? Sweet...but too heavy and I'm afraid my short inseam might
end up doing that Laugh-In thing with the tricycle. Friday Harbor trip is
nice. Iv'e done that on the GPz before. Ferry ride is nice. Last time I was
there, I flew a Cessna 172 in and did that short walk for that expensive
salad and burger, window shopped, and flew back home. Nice one day outing.

Last edited by raymond g-; 10-12-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Hi again, Raymond,

I grew up in F.H. Graduated high school in 1965. I just lost my mother who was nearly 101 about three weeks ago. She was still in the family home. So my sister and I have been trying to finish the end of a life in a big house that had been in the family since 1945. Big job.

The car is a dream. It has been a pleasure to own and drive, especially after the '85 300D Turbo which had 190,000 miles on it. Reliable but tired. It went to a nice home back up on the Island.

My number is 509-248-4510 ext. 102 (don't mind sending it here) It's the Union Gospel Mission number and I am a resident employee here. I'm single and don't have too much of a requirement for living accomodations. And it's rent (and every other associated expense) free. Been here for over 13 years.

Hold down the fort there in Seattle.

Brian
Old 10-12-2005, 09:32 PM
Almost a Member!

I've done this over and over... but, I've figured it out and, at least, temporarily fixed it.

The door switch on the passenger front door is broken. The switch is actually fine, but the switch housing - the flat surgace area around the button is cracked and the whole thing is recessed just enough that the door couldn't push in the button quite far enough.

For the temp fix, I used a felt stick-on button on the door which gives the switch button a bit more push. It works swimmingly now. It looks like the switch withdraws easily. There's a little hole in the collar which I presume has a release in it.

Happy to find the problem.

Brian
Old 10-12-2005, 09:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
cool...glad it was simple, though elusive for a bit. i think that plunger switch
is only $10-20 tops so hope that turns out to to be cheap fix.