E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2001 E320 First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E320
2001 E320 First Oil Change

I have a 17 month old E320 with 1,600 miles on it and factory synthetic oil.

I know that the FSS usually will have the first oil change at approximately 10,000 miles but would like to have mine done at 2,000 miles based on it being over a year old. Service manager says I should follow the FSS and that it would be a waste of $85 to change it early.

Is he right?
Old 07-25-2002, 05:33 PM

E320
look at color of oil on dipstick, if it's light-clearish, you still have useful oil. If it's dark, change it,
Old 07-25-2002, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
I Have Done the First oil change at 1000 Miles and Every 3k /12 Months with Mobil One on My E Class.. I Use the TOPSIDER oil Change System...Sucks the oil out of the dip stick..And Buy a Filter cup for the oil filter Cover and Do It Yourself! Most all Auto Part stores Will take the old oil ..And Its EASY!!

BTW When the FSS Tells You That it is Time for a SERVICE Then Take it in! Cause its covered for 4/50

Last edited by MARK CUMMINS; 07-26-2002 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2002, 09:27 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
I think the additive package on even the best synthetics will break down after about a year. Since its cheap and easy, change it yourself. I use the same system as Mark and it's a snap. I don't think you have to change the filter but for about 4 bucks, might as well.
Man, that's a hangar queen, eh? It'll be worth some big ones in 10 years if you keep that kind of mileage...
Old 07-28-2002, 08:23 AM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
techbike, where do you get the oil change system like that? I would like to try it out.

thanks!

BTW, update on the rallye trip. I was there on the 25th, at 645am, they took me in at 7, and the foreman came out with me for a ride in my car. For the most part, they found every noise i was pointing out, but surprisingly not the sound with the seat creaking, and he's a heavy guy. I sit in it and it creaks, but he said he'll look into it and fix it. It's been there since thursday, and still isn't finished yet, i went to check on it on friday, but they said they still have the car apart and are looking into the problems, and haven't fixed all fo them yet. no loaner, either, so i'm stuck without my car this weekend. oh well...will let you guys know more later!
Old 07-28-2002, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML
Re: 2001 E320 First Oil Change

Originally posted by Richard / E320
I have a 17 month old E320 with 1,600 miles on it and factory synthetic oil.

I know that the FSS usually will have the first oil change at approximately 10,000 miles but would like to have mine done at 2,000 miles based on it being over a year old. Service manager says I should follow the FSS and that it would be a waste of $85 to change it early.

Is he right?
Careful here!!! I know people have done it and haven't had any problems, but stick with the FSS. The reason is because your car (except the E55's) doesn't come from the factory with a 100% synthetic oil in it - I know 'cause I called Mb and asked them. The car comes with a blend. It comes with a synthetic blen in order to ease break-in - fully synthetics are too slippery to be efficient during break-in. If you're past break-in (i.e. a combination different drivign conditions for the first 1000-15000 miles), there should be no problems. My first oil change was called for by the FSS at 13k miles. I was skeptical so I had the oil analyzed by a laboratory. At 13K, the oil protection hadn't deteriorated, and I didn't drive easily during that period. Stay with the FSS, it works.
Old 07-29-2002, 12:51 PM

2010 E63 AMG, 2000 E430 Sport, Dodge Charger SRT8
Change the oil AND filter after about 2000-3000 miles with Mobil 1.

Use the FSS, but change the oil and filter more often. Always change the filter, ALWAYS.
Old 07-29-2002, 01:47 PM

Paomien: If you do a search for topsider on this forum, I think you'll get hits that will describe its operation better than I, and also where to get it. Most marine supply stores carry it too. I get the filters from the dealer, and I got the filter wrench from pepboyz (Its like a cup that fits over the filter cover and goes on your std. ratchet wrench.) The dealer sevice dept. uses this method, except of course, they have a powered suction device to suck out the oil through the dipstick hole. Once you get into it, it's so easy. After doing it, my advice: use rubber surgical glove, specially with the filter removal/replacement. Also, sometimes it needs a little knock help from your rubber mallet to get it off the stem/holder. Replace the plastic tube that comes with the topsider with a thicker-salled one of the same diameter; and change the oil after running the engine for only 3 minutes or so (warm oil, not hot)as the hot oil will collapse the tubes as it's being sucked out)
Sorry about your car. My E430 is there now for the headliner replacement and I got a C240 loaner with 9 miles on it!
Darkmann: I hear you about the break in oil. The blend you're talking about is a mineral oil component that promotes wear, believe it or not! I had an airplane engine overhauled and installed new cylinders, pistons , camshaft and followers; and mineral oil was definitely recommended for at least the first 25 hrs, then switch to a synthetic blend. I think 1000 miles on the car should do it (proper seating of rings and valves). I changed my oils after 3000 miles after progressively running the engine harder and harder (whip method).
Old 07-30-2002, 12:27 AM

Location: Long Island, NY / Mississauga, Ontario / Changhua, Taiwan
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
11 S550V4
techbike, when are you due to pick up your E430? Hopefully will be done by tomorrow, they say, but i probably won't be able to pick it up until wednesday. They didn't have an loaners available when i dropped my car off so unfortunately they gave me a ford taurus to drive around in. I've since parked that car in my driveway and i've been driving my other car....a 95 land cruiser. They're trying to figure out that suspension noise that the foreman and i heard driving around thurs morning. will keep you updated, maybe we'll get a chance to meet up when our cars are ready!
Old 07-30-2002, 07:42 AM

They said they'd call me. Maybe we can do a mini gtg for LI MBzers. How about a breakfast run on a Sat. morning? I'll e-mail some the guys I know and post something in the events section.
Old 07-30-2002, 11:15 AM

2001 E430 "Kleemannized"
What oil grades are you guys using. I have a 2001 E430 that had 5W/40 factory, and two oil changes using 5W/40. I have been told by two different Mercedes mechs. that they would "stongly recommend" (read do it) oil changes in between. They also said that oil changes are a piece of cake. My problem is that I have always been told to use the same viscosity, 5W/40 in my case, for the life of your engine. Brand doesn't seem to matter too much but oil grades do. I still have at least 3 freebies left on my original warranty but I would like to change my own in between. Has anyone been lucky enough to find 5W/40 synthetic at a local auto store or am I going to have to go mail order?

Thanks for your replys.

Richard