E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Early W210 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement DIY Here...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1996 E300D
Blower Motor Regulator Replacement

Thanks for the excellent instructions on how to replace blower motor regulator. I was able to buy part on ebay from Euro-Parts-Direct for $149.95. Bringing to my mechanic with these instructions-hopefully he can replace so I don't have to spend the big bucks!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM

1997 E300D
Another big thank you on an awesome sticky!

2 weeks ago the Benzworld sticky on the window regulator saved my ***, now this one did. $175 and an hour of my time and I have the arctic air blasting once again!

Zack
Old 08-15-2007, 09:21 AM

1997 E320 W210
Thank you for the instructions, I just did the procedure yesterday afternoon and my a/c never worked this well before.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:49 AM

Zackb911... I do not have a problem with a window regulator yet, but it sounds like a common problem with W-210. Where do I find step-by-step instructions with pictures, just in case I would need it. Thanks
Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 AM

I found it... so I attach with this email, hopefully it's useful for someone
Attached Files
Old 08-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E320 90k
Problem after 140 retrofit

I had my mechanic do this regulator wire from the 140 on my car. It has worked for about 6 months but has never been perfect. The high setting has always been odd. It might only go to high when you first start the car and won't go back to high after the car has been running. Now, a few days ago, the car will go to high after the engine is started. But, after about 2 minutes it will slowly go down to low as if I was lowering the fan speed. It won't go further than low. The air is very cold but it just doesn't blow. When it reaches 90-100 in sunny Florida this is a big problem for me.
I've attached 2 photos just in case there is something wrong with the installation. I would much appreciate any insite as what I can do to fix this. I am tired of mechanics and after seeing how easy it was to replace a MAF I am ready to do most of my own work on my 210.

thanks !

Jason
Attached Thumbnails Early W210 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement DIY Here...-100_4319.jpg   Early W210 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement DIY Here...-100_4327.jpg  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well the problem I see is that he spliced wires in the car's harness and not in the regulator itself. If you look at my pictures at the beginning of the thread, you will see that all the splicing is done near the regulator itself and the car's wiring harness is left intact. I don't know if this is what's actually the cause of your problem, but I suspect it is.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E320 90k
Originally Posted by tony
Well the problem I see is that he spliced wires in the car's harness and not in the regulator itself. If you look at my pictures at the beginning of the thread, you will see that all the splicing is done near the regulator itself and the car's wiring harness is left intact. I don't know if this is what's actually the cause of your problem, but I suspect it is.
Is this an easy fix? Should I follow your steps at the begining of this thread? Or do I need to do something different? I'd appreciate your help. I don't want to do the new conversion if my a/c fails.

Jason
Old 08-26-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by jaamb85
Is this an easy fix? Should I follow your steps at the begining of this thread? Or do I need to do something different? I'd appreciate your help. I don't want to do the new conversion if my a/c fails.

Jason
The only way I see to do my repair now would be to replace the other end of the harness that was cut off. If your mechanic discarded it, then you're out of luck.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:59 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E320 90k
The only way I see to do my repair now would be to replace the other end of the harness that was cut off. If your mechanic discarded it, then you're out of luck.
Would that be where the two connectors are? I remember there being some sort of small fire that cause the connector to go bad. It melted or something. That may be why he retrofitted this the way it is...

I'll start looking for good prices on buying the updated setup. This is gonna hurt.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:38 PM

Mercedes W210 98 E430
Thumbs up

This is such a great fix. I am a 48 year old mom that followed these directions and I had my a/c blower fixed in an hour!! I am so proud of myself and so thankful to Tony and for this forum. His instructions are SO RIGHT ON. If you can't do this repair, ask a friend to help because IT CAN BE DONE.
The hardest part was getting my old body upside down to get to the screws, but other than that, it was a breeze.
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SAVING ME HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS AND GIVING ME A/C AGAIN. Texas gets hot!

Last edited by DENISE; 09-17-2007 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Merc Benz E320 4Matic 1998
Is this the same problem?

I have a 1998 E320 4matic and my blower and AC do not work and the only way the heat works is from the engine which overheats if I do not have it on HIGH heat at all times. Could this be the same problem or something a lot worse?
Old 01-25-2008, 03:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W140
I had my mechanic do this regulator wire from the 140 on my car. It has worked for about 6 months but has never been perfect. The high setting has always been odd. It might only go to high when you first start the car and won't go back to high after the car has been running. Now, a few days ago, the car will go to high after the engine is started. But, after about 2 minutes it will slowly go down to low as if I was lowering the fan speed. It won't go further than low. The air is very cold but it just doesn't blow. When it reaches 90-100 in sunny Florida this is a big problem for me.
I've attached 2 photos just in case there is something wrong with the installation. I would much appreciate any insite as what I can do to fix this. I am tired of mechanics and after seeing how easy it was to replace a MAF I am ready to do most of my own work on my 210.

thanks !

Jason
I know this is late reply, but still.....
What i see from your picture is that your regulator is the original W210 old style one & not W140 one mentioned here.
Most likely your regulator is bad...
Old 02-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Almost a Member!

1997 E320 90k
blowermotor problems

Thanks for your reply.... Well my A/C has gotten worse. It will only blow on a very low setting. I looked at the regulator and it is a 140... I think I am going to be forced to face the dealer. Because, the white connectors aren't present; one of them burned out. The wires are spliced coming from under my glove box to the regulator. I am going to get a quote within the next week or so from the dealer and also a couple little german car repair shops.

If anyone has any suggestions that will save me some $$. I would love to hear them. I would like to do this myself....

thanks,
Jason
Old 02-13-2008, 08:30 PM

Thanks for your reply.... Well my A/C has gotten worse. It will only blow on a very low setting. I looked at the regulator and it is a 140... I think I am going to be forced to face the dealer. Because, the white connectors aren't present; one of them burned out. The wires are spliced coming from under my glove box to the regulator. I am going to get a quote within the next week or so from the dealer and also a couple little german car repair shops.

If anyone has any suggestions that will save me some $$. I would love to hear them. I would like to do this myself....

thanks,
Jason
I would locate a Mercedes-Benz salvage yard and cut the regulator harness from it at the same location yours was cut at. Splice the salvage part to your car and then you are ready to do the repair I described at the beginning of the thread.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks to Tony and Roring for Helping Me Out

I just completed the project and also ordered the lesser priced part made by KAE (p/n: 140 821 8351) It is made (or at least marked so) in Germany. It has a big heat sink and the dielectric is alreay applied, as Roring showed in his photos.

My fan motor had completely stopped blowing after slowing a bit and never reaching full blast. To troubleshoot the problem I removed the blue wire going to the fan motor as instructed and jumped the connector it to the body of the fan motor. It roared right up. This was the sign the the fuses and motor all were fine, just the regulator was shot. Rewired the cable, just three solder connections and bam! I am up and running.

You guys are all so great and generous with information. Thanks for sharing the knowledge.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:38 PM

1998 E320 / 1992 LandCruiser / Project Car E30, 91, 318I
Did any of you folks got this regulator from Deutsche Parts USA? They are selling one for $129.00. I need to do mine too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MERCE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 AM

E320 W210
Coolin in Miami

Thank you very much for this post... the day I bought my E320 98 The regulator died. I kind of stumbled on this topic here and figured that Ihad the same issue in my car... WOW . Seems like a real common problem in the mid 90's e320s ... I am happy to say I ordered the KAE resistor and installed it, though my soldering skills were a little shakey with no clamps and such... (I would consider crimps next time) my AC is crankin! Just in time for the heat. Thanks again.

Now I need to figure out what to do next...ah yes..

Squeaky sound coming from drivers side window, and the passenger side lower seat control moves only moves the seat forward no matter if you push the button toward or away. (Thank god for memory location 1 still moving the seat back)... anyways now what I am talking about?
Old 04-13-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by robrelish
Thank you very much for this post... the day I bought my E320 98 The regulator died. I kind of stumbled on this topic here and figured that Ihad the same issue in my car... WOW . Seems like a real common problem in the mid 90's e320s ... I am happy to say I ordered the KAE resistor and installed it, though my soldering skills were a little shakey with no clamps and such... (I would consider crimps next time) my AC is crankin! Just in time for the heat. Thanks again.

Now I need to figure out what to do next...ah yes..

Squeaky sound coming from drivers side window, and the passenger side lower seat control moves only moves the seat forward no matter if you push the button toward or away. (Thank god for memory location 1 still moving the seat back)... anyways now what I am talking about?
No problem! As for your seat control, I had the same issue with my driver's side seat. I removed the seat control module and on the back it had a crack in one of the flat metal circuits. I put a dab of sodder on it and it was as good as new.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:46 PM

1998 E320 / 1992 LandCruiser / Project Car E30, 91, 318I
Another Happy Ending

I ended up getting the KAE, DIY last night and the blower works like a champ again Thanks Tony
Old 05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Almost a Member!

'99 E430 & '00 ML430
I tried the diy fix ...but now the blower just runs on high... even when the cars not on. Back to the drawing board
Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Almost a Member!

97 MB E320, 97 Volvo XC70, 87 Volvo 240 DL.
I did mine today and blower is now firing as it should. I did the repair even without removing the blower itself. Great job Tony and thanks for sharing that knowledge.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:15 PM

1997 E 320
I would locate a Mercedes-Benz salvage yard and cut the regulator harness from it at the same location yours was cut at. Splice the salvage part to your car and then you are ready to do the repair I described at the beginning of the thread.

Good luck!
First off thanks for DIY. I purchased a new regulator and did the change
as per the DIY. It worked great for a while, but, unfortunately
after 6 months, there was a burning smell when the heater was on.
Turns out that one pin in the 4-pin connector and the black wire burnt out.
The connector and wire are part of the regulator kit and DIY instructions
(purchased through ebay).

Perhaps it some fault of mine. I used screw type
connectors and electrical tape instead of solder.
BTW Tony was a fantastic help.

So any help now would be appreciated.

Car history and details
My car is a 1997 Mercedes E-320. Blower would not work. In 2007 summer
replaced regulator, regulator connector and wires as per DIY. Worked
great for 6 months and then poof ... burnt connector. Note the
car side white harness is still the original.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 PM

1997 E 320
Originally Posted by robrelish

My 1997 E-320 has the same problem ... front passenger seat control
only moves forward ... I rely on the memory. A workaround is, if you
put slight pressure and manually attemt to move the seat in the
direction you intend to WHILE holding down the control (also in the
direction you intend to) ... it co-operates. I gently apply pressure
and "coax" it. Hope that helps
Old 06-02-2008, 05:03 AM

MB E300D 1996
It was so easy

I wish I had seen this message 3 years ago all this time I was so dummy that I thinked MB was just so automatic that blower not needed run higher than lowest...

I bought my part from ebay german made for less than 100 installed it in under 1 hour and wooooow now it blows like grazy.

I love this message board I have got help here many times.

jarvisto2

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Early W210 Blower Motor Regulator Replacement DIY Here...