E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

2000 E320 Side Marker Light bulb

Old 12-16-2006, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 Sedan
2000 E320 Side Marker Light bulb

I cannot figure out how to replace this bulb. The manual says it can be accessed by an access hole in the wheel well. No way. I even took the tire off, removed the wheel well and still cant figure out how to get to the bulb.

Does the orange lens pry off?

What's the trick here?
Old 12-16-2006, 10:55 PM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by ae1m
I cannot figure out how to replace this bulb. The manual says it can be accessed by an access hole in the wheel well. No way. I even took the tire off, removed the wheel well and still cant figure out how to get to the bulb.

Does the orange lens pry off?

What's the trick here?
that's basically almost exactly what I went through. It turns out yes, you can access it through the wheel well without taking the tires off. In the front part of the fender, there's a piece of plastic. Try to lift the piece of plastic and poke your finger through things and then you will see it. It's hard to explain. Once you find it, you will see that all you have to do is press on it with your finger and the side marker pops out with ease.

If you still can't find it, open the fog light compartment on the bottom of the car and look up through that. Then have a friend poke their finger or a screwdriver against it and you can see where it is hitting. ^^this is what I did.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:26 AM

2000 E320 Sedan
Originally Posted by Nate
that's basically almost exactly what I went through. It turns out yes, you can access it through the wheel well without taking the tires off. In the front part of the fender, there's a piece of plastic. Try to lift the piece of plastic and poke your finger through things and then you will see it. It's hard to explain. Once you find it, you will see that all you have to do is press on it with your finger and the side marker pops out with ease.

If you still can't find it, open the fog light compartment on the bottom of the car and look up through that. Then have a friend poke their finger or a screwdriver against it and you can see where it is hitting. ^^this is what I did.
Let me make sure I understand, are you saying there is a piece of plastic that when pushed from inside, pops the orange side marker lens out of the body?

There is only one little access hole in the wheel well (triangular shape) that a contorsionist might be able to get into, that seems to lead toward the marker.

One thing I have certainly learned that I hate about my 2000 E320 (which I have 120k miles on) is the replacement of almost any bulb is a much greater hassle than on any other vehicle I've owned. Very unfriendly!
Old 12-17-2006, 10:31 AM

1998 E320
yea, that should be the right hole. Stick your finger through it and see if you can push it out.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:08 PM
Almost a Member!

E320 2000
HI,
I would recommend a screwdriver just have to push the part that clicks onto the side of car off no need to push off whole piece with screwdriver unless you just dont care and want to break it off. Not too easy to reach if your fingers arent 10 inches long . But be gentle and turn the wheel out of way but if you already have the wheel off i dont see any problem.
Should be easy
aftermarket white markers have to be shaved down a bit to properly installed if that is possible. Mine still fogs after carwashes.
Good Luck
PS
check for other threads on the subject think someone had pics at one time
Old 12-17-2006, 10:14 PM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by Mrhappy71
HI,
I would recommend a screwdriver just have to push the part that clicks onto the side of car off no need to push off whole piece with screwdriver unless you just dont care and want to break it off. Not too easy to reach if your fingers arent 10 inches long . But be gentle and turn the wheel out of way but if you already have the wheel off i dont see any problem.
Should be easy
aftermarket white markers have to be shaved down a bit to properly installed if that is possible. Mine still fogs after carwashes.
Good Luck
PS
check for other threads on the subject think someone had pics at one time
My fingers aren't 10 inches long lol, and it takes only about two inches of them to reach the clip to take them off. I think you might need a 10 inch finger for the newer body with the face lift 2000-2002?
Old 12-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

its simple. on the outside of the car where the side marker is. take ur mercedes benz key, or a flat head screw driver and pop it out. You can not do it on the part facing the front of the car because that side has a clip that locks it in place. If you do it from the otherside you advoid the clip, and the whole fixture pops out. Also use a piece of paper under the screw driver so that you dont scrach your paint.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:44 PM

1998 E320
Originally Posted by nycw210
its simple. on the outside of the car where the side marker is. take ur mercedes benz key, or a flat head screw driver and pop it out. You can not do it on the part facing the front of the car because that side has a clip that locks it in place. If you do it from the otherside you advoid the clip, and the whole fixture pops out. Also use a piece of paper under the screw driver so that you dont scrach your paint.
why did you make another forum account?

*EDIT* Oh, nevermind, it's because you got banned
Old 08-13-2012, 04:43 PM

e320 2000
Great advice 6 years later

I had a bit of a tussle with the running lights on my 2000 eClass -- until I checked with the Forum.

I Used a flat plastic piece in stead of a screwdriver to get to the lamp.

Piece of cake.

Thanks folks
Old 12-22-2016, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E420 1995; 300E 1990; 560SL 1986
The side marker poped out very easy.
with the tires pointing straight I curled my (short) fingers around the fender (about 9:00) and there was a little hole, so I stuck my finger in. Sure there was a small piece of plastic that pushed in a bit (toward front of car). I pusher out toward the body (external of the car) and sure enough the marker popped out, and the bulb twisted out.

Car: w210 1999 E320 (green if you care)