E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

a/c diy tips diagnostics,clear codes,trouble shoot

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Smile a/c diy tips diagnostics,clear codes,trouble shoot

Start here,
http://www.eclassbenz.com/node/27
go to his tips on a/c diagnostics,and run the test.Enter the values on the software program he created.You will learn more about a/c than you ever have unless your a mb tech.If your e light is on be sure to read that part first.Proceed with the repairs recommended.Mine had 5 codes,the only one of great concern was the evap temp sensor.read 138 f ,after replacing a/c works great and all the codes for other faulty sensors went away.That is why you start by replacing the most likely culprit first.
To double check this common failure in the W210 models and other models I have heard. use this tip
<The evaporator temperature should match the heater core temperatures (#03 & #04) in the morning after the car has not been run for some time. If #3, #4 & #5 match in the morning, you can rule out a bad evaporator temperature sensor. If #5 is way off, you may have a bad evaporator temp sensor. (Although you would expect a code for the evap sensor if that were the case.) When the A/C is on, the evaporator temp should be much colder than the heater core temps. >
If all is fixed and codes are not cleared no need to disconnect the battery,just press both auto buttons on the climate control while in the error mode of the on board diagnostics program.

The evap temp sensor on my e320 was located here,
Buy the new one first so you know what it looks like. I paid $40
for mine. You need to remove the plastic housing underneath the steering
column. There are 3 large screw and 1 small screw. You also will need
to pull the plastic pressure fitted plug from behind the accelerator
so you can remove it from the car. Unscrew the housing for the hood release
and slide the latch through the opening. There's also a diag
connector that needs to be removed. Slide the top (from behind the
cover) to the right and push the connector through from underneath. There's
a vent that comes off by turning the screw of half turn. The carpet cover
portion is simply pressure fitted. The part next to th console needs to
slide up so you can remove it. The sensor is attached to the evaporator just about in the middle the compartment about two feet up from the floor. It has a couple of wires attached to the connector. Pull the sensor out and then disconnect the cable. Attach the new one and reinsert. Just pay attention to how it was originally attached. It took me about 30 minutes of which 20 were spent figuring out how to disassemble the housing.

It is along the right side as you look at the steering wheel,not on the big gauge green and red wires but follow them up and with a good head mounted flashlight you will spot the end of the sensor sticking out of it's fitting.Very tight down there!
All credit goes to ,As Newton said"If I see further it is because I stand on the shoulders of the giants that came before me"

Great car,great forum,great bunch of back yard mechanics,that value a dollar and are not afraid of jumping in and getting finger nails dirty,to learn something....
Hope this helps
ohlord

My a/c is so cold now on low it makes chicks shiver if you know what I mean!
p.s. tip the guy that wrote the program if you feel in your heart you have saved hours and dollars.

The evaporator temperature should match the heater core temperatures (#03 & #04) in the morning after the car has not been run for some time. If #3, #4 & #5 match in the morning, you can rule out a bad evaporator temperature sensor. If #5 is way off, you may have a bad evaporator temp sensor. (Although you would expect a code for the evap sensor if that were the case.) When the A/C is on, the evaporator temp should be much colder than the heater core temps.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB E320 1999
Ohlord, my 1999 E320 a/c just stop working, we check pressure around 70 lo side no error but the econ light is on #7 the other on side show 04 #8 show103 #3=91 #4=91 #5=87 this are the code any sudgestion than you very much happy new year
Old 01-03-2010, 02:12 AM
Geh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Great Thread! To bad its only for people with the Digital Climate control could've helped me out alot guess im gonna have to bite the bullet and take it to the stealership
Old 05-04-2016, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E430 4matic (W210)
Page is 404. How do I get these codes?
Old 05-04-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E430 4matic (W210)
http://www.mercedesmedic.com/ac-air-...le-codes-list/

Nevermind, found this