E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Steering lock problem - please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 e320
Position 0 I meant

sorry that was a typo I meant to say that it's stuck in position 0, I pulled the sleeve out already its just a the steering lock left that's locked up on me, I had no choice but to pull the whole assembly out in position 0, so now with the new unit it will not line up, I need to either replace the whole steering lock or have you help me please!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:39 PM

1997 e320
thanks jonssen

well it took a bit to figure it out but i got it done, then actually i accidently tripped it again (the lock) but this time it took but 10 seconds to reset the steering lock! Thanks again Jonssen for the info! you saved me a bunch of money sir
Old 07-04-2011, 12:38 AM

1998 SLK230
R170 SLK230 Steering Lock/ Key Tumbler

Thanks for responding to my pleas for help with the R170 steering lock. Thinking that the lock housing was shot, I call the dealership for a replacement quote. As it turns out the "exact duplicate tumbler" that sold me was just a "service" edition that was intended for one time use only. It should have come out of the steering lock housing just as the original one did but for whatever reason, I couldn't pop it out. It top their MB mechanics about 15 minutes but they got it out. The dealership took complete ownership for the wrong tumbler. They reordered the correct tumbler and also a replacement Key Fob that they said I could have at the retail price. It is due in on Wed.
When all is said and done, I am going to know my way around the SLK230 Steering Lock, which is quite a bit different from the W210 that Jonssen addressed in his PDF. It can be done without removing the whole steering lock assembly. If anyone needs help pulling a r170 tumbler, I will do my best to keep up with the example that the board members set in helping me.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:27 AM

S420
Originally Posted by jonssen
Should anyone have the same problem and manage to trip the mechanical steering lock, I now have a quick and easy method to reset it (without destroying it!)
Do not believe this guy he has yes to provide this magic solution
Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 PM

e320
steering lock release

please send me the pdf to release the steering lock on 96 E320 Thanks jaylydia@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2011, 05:40 PM

e320
please send pdf to release steering lock to jaylydia@gmail.com
Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM

S420
I will show you how to bypass the lock I will upload a video tomorrow to my site it took me 10 minutes to bypass it. This a real solution not some fake PDF that no one has seen
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W210 E280
W210 Steering lock

You need to private message me - I don't follow this thread (it doesn't get advised to me - private messages do). Left click on my user name for the drop-down menu options and you will find the private message link.

Originally Posted by jaylydia
please send me the pdf to release the steering lock on 96 E320 Thanks jaylydia@gmail.com

Last edited by jonssen; 10-16-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 PM

W210 E280
W210 Steering lock - delatching of security trip

Oh yes I do! You are only posting this rebuff because I didn't send it to you. And the reason for that was because you claimed you had neither removed the key-lock barrel nor the ignition switch and it's cover and that you were able to start the car normally. So that would mean Mercedes had designed an anti-theft system where someone could get in, start the vehicle and drive off with the steering locked. Does that sound likely? No, of course not. (In fact the system is mechanically interlocked to prevent just that from happening!)

N.B. My solution is the the steering lock depicted. It does not relate to other locks!
https://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...ng-lock_03.jpg
W210, W129, W140 - Steering Lock p/no 210 462 0030

Originally Posted by darengray
Do not believe this guy he has yes to provide this magic solution

Last edited by jonssen; 10-16-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 PM

W210 E280
Steering lock problem - please help

Great, darengrey, I'd love to see it. Especially when you can 'bypass' it in 10mins whereas all the Mercedes Main Dealerships I've ever spoken to told me they have to resort to hacksawing or grinding the steering lock off and it takes them at least 1/2hr to sort it. I'm sure Mercedes who fitted it as an anti-theft security device would also love to see it - it defeats their own dealerships mechanics but not you it seems. 10mins - clearly you have some outstanding attributes. Funny thing is, I've a message thread with you which goes on for some days, weeks even, on the matter.

Oh, by the way, where is it?

Originally Posted by darengray
I will show you how to bypass the lock I will upload a video tomorrow to my site it took me 10 minutes to bypass it. This a real solution not some fake PDF that no one has seen
Ah, there we go again - casting baseless aspersions. Could it be you just want to spoil it for others because I wouldn't send it to you? The wonderful thing about the libel law is that when you make such a claim it is up to you to prove it true. So, please go ahead and post your proof that a) it's fake and b) no one has seen it. Surely not a problem for a man of your stature. I'm prepared to loose my credibility if you can. Are you prepared to loose yours?
Old 11-04-2011, 01:19 PM

Crysler 300C
Help? I have the same problem. I was doing A.C Evap and the ignition locked on me. Can somebody PLEASE send me a copy of the video or the PDF on how too unlock this.

Thanks
Frank
Prestigecollision@verizon.net
Old 11-07-2011, 10:28 PM

1991 190e 2.3
Pleas send me the PDF. This is my 16 yrold daughters car. We got it because we wanted a good safe car. Now it's in the mini mart parking lot and we can't even get it into neutral. Mistyjeremy@hotmail.com
Old 03-04-2012, 10:55 PM

E 420
Hi Jonssen. Can you send me please the PDF to fix my E420, because my steering lock is engage now and I want to fix it without breaking the device. I really appreciate your help. Thanks........
rafapoli@hotmail.com

Last edited by Caribe; 03-04-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:49 AM

1997 e420
Jonssen, sent pm
Old 03-30-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
chev suburban
@@@ 96 E320 UNLOCK YOUR STEERING WHEEL IN 10 MINUTES @@@ I have the fix for unlocking your steering wheel in 10 minutes without removing the steering column.
Drill two 13/64" holes in the lower part of your steering lock (as in Figure 1), Drill 1 as close to the aluminum column housing as possible, drill the 2nd hole about 1/2" to the right of the first hole, insert a long flatblade screwdriver through the keyhole in the dash into the steering lock (as in Figure 2), take 2 pointed picks and insert each pick into the 2 holes you drilled (as in Figure 3), walk the internal locking mechanism away from the steering column until it stops, hold the internal mechanism with 1 pick, while holding internal mechanism with pick push in on your screwdriver all the way back ( about 3/8" ) then let up about 1/8" and turn screwdriver clockwise until you feel the tension turning the lock (then you can release your pick), you will have to turn the screwdriver until the center slotted piece that your screwdriver is in will stay in position by it self, then remove your screwdriver and check the position of the center slot, it should be lined up with the 2 push-in release pins that hold the ignition switch in (as in Figure 4), check your steering wheel, it should be unlocked at this time, now you are ready to install your ingnition switch. If you need any help you can e-mail me at jcreacy@a1transmissionskerrville.com

Last edited by Thefixitdude; 03-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:58 PM

chev suburban
Search 96 E320 steering wheel locked up at top of page in MBWorld's searchbox, click on topic that I (Thefixitdude) wrote, it has all the pics & details, I tried posting several times on this forum but it wouldn't let me post the pics more than once
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 AM

1996 E300D
Reset lock

When installing new key cylinder I managed to trip the lock, reset it using the method I found on here, which was POSTED unlike johnssens mystery and it worked. Only fear I have now is that it will lock up while I'm driving, is that a valid fear or is it possible? Key cylinder, switch, trim rings all went in fine no gaps etc, it works fine (had to file pins a bit because of cheap china key) but I am just a worrywart. Thanks any help/advice would be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:34 AM

1996 E300D
BTW thank you very much fixitdude, your write up was a great help.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM

chev suburban
Your welcome Murphyauto, I couldn't get any help from anyone on here that claimed they had the fix so I bought one & figured out how it worked, and no you shouldn't have any problems with it locking up, the ignition switch holds it from locking up.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM

w210
Hi Everyone.

I have a mercedes w210 CDI 2001 model.I had a breakdown with intstrument cluster, then I changed, but it is show up'' Steering gear oil Visit Workshop''.
I looked for fluid everything is OK. Fluid does not spend, no leak. I have changed fluid, but still is show up this sign.
Can someone help me about this please?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 PM

1997 e320
steering lock 97 e320

Just reading the threads and I'm in need of the pdf to reset the locking pin on my mom's 97 e320...If it's still available can someone send it to kareemgreer7007@yahoo.com...Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 07:27 AM

E200 Elegance
Help please......

Hello there,

I am new to this so do excuse me if i am in the wrong area.
My E200 Elegance has locked up on the steering wheel and the flip remote key will not start the ignition :-(
The car has power as the unlock/lock works fine and so do the head/fog lights.

Having read the posts on here does anyone have a solution for this problem &/experienced this? If so then advice on how to troubleshoot this myself (instead of being ripped off by the a**hole whom sold me the car) would be greatly appreciated.

I have emailed the individual for the PDF but not sure as to if i will get!

Many thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM

1996 E300D
Originally Posted by aftabh_uk
Hello there,

I am new to this so do excuse me if i am in the wrong area.
My E200 Elegance has locked up on the steering wheel and the flip remote key will not start the ignition :-(
The car has power as the unlock/lock works fine and so do the head/fog lights.

Having read the posts on here does anyone have a solution for this problem &/experienced this? If so then advice on how to troubleshoot this myself (instead of being ripped off by the a**hole whom sold me the car) would be greatly appreciated.

I have emailed the individual for the PDF but not sure as to if i will get!

Many thanks
Does the key turn at all? Because if the key won't turn then your steering wheel will obviously be locked, my guess is that your key or cylinder is worn down and it's shot, you'll have to pull out the cylinder & disassemble to check things out how it turns and everything.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM

96 s320
Steering lock problem

Iam a new member to MBWorld. I have been impressed with the willingness ofmembers to help each other. I recently had a problem with a recently acquired 96S320; my first Mercedes. It’s a great car, but a little disheartening whenafter having for a couple of weeks I could not drive my car because of theignition going out, and the resulting problems of my steering locking up.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Isent a private message to jonssen and asked him to please send me the PDF hehas offered to send to those who need it. Not only did he send the PDF to me,but he emailed me a couple of times with extra help on my problem. The PDF hesent me is well put together and made it possible for me to get my car runningagain. <o:p></o:p>

Jonssen,thank you very much for your help! <o:p></o:p>
Old 06-29-2013, 02:17 AM

mercedes SL 320
Steering locked

Hi thanks for your helpful hints, how can I view the diagrams to witch you refirr to I would like to see them before I proceed
Originally Posted by Thefixitdude
@@@ 96 E320 UNLOCK YOUR STEERING WHEEL IN 10 MINUTES @@@ I have the fix for unlocking your steering wheel in 10 minutes without removing the steering column.
Drill two 13/64" holes in the lower part of your steering lock (as in Figure 1), Drill 1 as close to the aluminum column housing as possible, drill the 2nd hole about 1/2" to the right of the first hole, insert a long flatblade screwdriver through the keyhole in the dash into the steering lock (as in Figure 2), take 2 pointed picks and insert each pick into the 2 holes you drilled (as in Figure 3), walk the internal locking mechanism away from the steering column until it stops, hold the internal mechanism with 1 pick, while holding internal mechanism with pick push in on your screwdriver all the way back ( about 3/8" ) then let up about 1/8" and turn screwdriver clockwise until you feel the tension turning the lock (then you can release your pick), you will have to turn the screwdriver until the center slotted piece that your screwdriver is in will stay in position by it self, then remove your screwdriver and check the position of the center slot, it should be lined up with the 2 push-in release pins that hold the ignition switch in (as in Figure 4), check your steering wheel, it should be unlocked at this time, now you are ready to install your ingnition switch. If you need any help you can e-mail me at jcreacy@a1transmissionskerrville.com

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Steering lock problem - please help