E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

key stuck in ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 2000
key stuck in ignition

Hello, like many before me I'm sure, I really wish I'd found this forum sooner, the info is excellent and interesting.

My 2000 E320 (petrol) broke down a couple of nights ago, ABS BAS and other warnings came on. Pulled into roadside, switched off engine and tried to restart but nothing. All normal lights came on but engine didn't start. Gear fixed in Park.

Called out breakdown service, they checked various things, battery, exit car/lock car/unlock car, etc. Guy got under the car and somehow got the engine running but no increased revs from accelerator pedal. Switched engine off and tried some other stuff but not sure what he did. Then tried again to start the engine from under the car but this time engine wouldn't fire.

Decided then to tow car back to base. Switched off ignition but key wouldn't turn all the way back for removal. Car was put into neutral by using the manual release behind 'D' on gear selector and towed back home.

Car being collected tomorrow for transport to garage on a low-loader but the chap at the garage is concerned about the fact that the key is stuck in the ignition, says he's never experienced that problem before on this model. If he is concerned then I'm worried. He'll be putting his testing equipment onto it which hopefully might establish the engine failure.

Does anyone know how the key can be released or indeed what is causing this. At present the door can be locked using the manual key.

Be very grateful for any help, thanks, strada.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
A 2000

with das and the mechanic tried to start the car by doing something under it?
There is half your problemhe can't bypass the rolling codes for the drive authorization system.Take the car to a shop that works on W210 mercedes ,the key issue is either a dead battery,the interlock between the brake pedal and the ignition switch or another issue like that.If they are acting worried about a simple issue that any mercedes mechanic worth his salt has seen,you need a better qualified shop and mechanic.Or they will screw it up more,trying to bypass the very complicated drive authorization system and cost you more money and aggravation.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM

2004 e320 and 99 e320 wagon
has something to do with the brake pedal switch probably. i know you can't remove the key without letting your foot off the the brake, so if the the switch is broken then the key won't release...my 2 cents.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:17 AM

E320 2000
Ohlord & meooem

thanks for your info, appreciate the time you've given to it. The car is being tested today so that should shed some light on it.

Ohlord, take your point about the mechanic being concerned about what you think is a simple issue. He isn't worried, that's me. His concern is much the same as you mentioned, ie what has the breakdown guy done when he forced the engine to start and this has caused the key to end up stuck in ignition. Prior to him doing this the key came out of the ignition fine.

I did remove the brake lamp switch and checked it. Looked like the spring mechanism was working fine and I took out the terminals and gave them a clean although they looked OK. It didn't make any difference when it was replaced, still didn't start or release the key.

Will add the results of the test later today when I have them.

rgds, strada
Old 08-27-2008, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
I was under

the impression that the tow guy was the mechanic
The brake item We mentioned is a link between the brake system and the ignition if it fails,key is stuck.
hope it is something simple,usually is