E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

BRAKE LINING WEAR visit workshop!!

Old 10-22-2008, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
00_e430_sport
BRAKE LINING WEAR visit workshop!!

"BRAKE LINING WEAR" Malfunction light came on while driving on the highway scare the crap outta me so i exit the highway and went to PEP BOYS(that was the closes place when i exited) and had them check it out they said my BRAKE PAD on all four corners are about 80-85% left...and one of my rotor will need to be either resurface or replaced but anyways after the inspection i was on my way the malfunction light never came back on...can this just be a faulty reading? or?

Previously i had malfunction that didnt need service or whatever,
1. coolant low (which wasnt low at all)
2. wipers fluid low (which wasnt low at all)
3. ESB BAS brakes came on (replaced brakeswitch didnt really know if that was the case or just another faulty reading)
4. today the BRAKE LINE WEAR>...
Old 10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
Faulty readings come and go. The sensors on this car are a bit over-engineered sometimes. What you found out via visual inspection is that you have plenty of pad left, so the sensor itself is suspect. At least brake pads are easy to eyeball. I always ignore warnings unless they persist for at least several drives, aside from lamp failure warnings.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Stay away from Pep Boys!

Inspect the brakes yourself...or take it to a Indy..Several in HB
As You could have a Inner pad worn...Unless you remove a rim its impossible to see the wear on the inner pad...It could be a false signal..or a loose pad sensor..or that you do need brake work

Mercedes recommends that the brake rotors should NOT be machined
Old 10-23-2008, 07:57 PM

00_e430_sport
What brand of Brake pads are you members using?

Originally Posted by MARK CUMMINS
Stay away from Pep Boys!

Inspect the brakes yourself...or take it to a Indy..Several in HB
As You could have a Inner pad worn...Unless you remove a rim its impossible to see the wear on the inner pad...It could be a false signal..or a loose pad sensor..or that you do need brake work

Mercedes recommends that the brake rotors should NOT be machined
I was looking at AUTOHAUZ but if i can just go buy it at the dealer or autozone napa etc i would rather just do that instead of waiting for shipping....
Old 10-23-2008, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Don't buy autozone or napa

get autohauzaz.com or akebono from tirerack if you have custom rims and like less dust.If the rotor is not perfectly smooth you need to replace them in pairs.If old rotors are smooth but glazed you can cross hatch sand them with 120 grit sand paper on both sides pm me for diy,that way you can bed in the new pads.
If you have all those warnings check your battery voltage if it drops below a set voltage the system on the mb will throw a lot of the warning lamps you describe until the charge is again above the low limit.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:58 PM

00_e430_sport
Originally Posted by ohlord
get autohauzaz.com or akebono from tirerack if you have custom rims and like less dust.If the rotor is not perfectly smooth you need to replace them in pairs.If old rotors are smooth but glazed you can cross hatch sand them with 120 grit sand paper on both sides pm me for diy,that way you can bed in the new pads.
If you have all those warnings check your battery voltage if it drops below a set voltage the system on the mb will throw a lot of the warning lamps you describe until the charge is again above the low limit.
Thanks for the info....as for voltage the voltage is pretty steady at 13.5 while driving and at idle its flickers from 13.3-13.5 when press and hold REST and number 24 i also had the battery tested at AUTOZONE
Old 11-18-2010, 07:58 PM

2001 merzedes e 320
break line wear malfuction

[quote=dylokjai;3126341]Thanks for the info....as for voltage the voltage is pretty steady at 13.5 while driving and at idle its flickers from 13.3-13.5 when press and hold REST and number 24 i also had the battery tested at AUTOZONE[/quot

hey guys ..

couple weeks ago there was three malfuction messege came on my dash board and i read the forums up here in MB world , i changed my breake light switch with just $26... thats amazing .... hey i am back again with another issue ... break line wear .... what the hek is that ..OMG ....its terrible after long time i baught nice car everyweek there is a trouble on it ....

please some one help me what to do ... how much its coast to make clear ...if i go to dealership is that gonna coast me a fortune or something simple like my breaklight switch ?...

please replay somebody i need to fix it soon becaus long weekend coming .. all mechanics wud be off ...

thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 09:03 PM

2jzGTE Powered W210, 93 500E and swerv in a burb
brake lining wear is simply your brake pads, i would never use an after market pad they are no good at all, get pagid or textar both oem pads, you can go to benzbin.com and they have nice parts... make sure to measure the rotors with a micrometer to make sure they arent below minimum... most rotors now adays only get two sets of pads before you need to get new rotors or about 50k miles...

dont let pepboys or midas or anyone work on your mercedes come on now its not a ford
Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Originally Posted by dylokjai
Thanks for the info....as for voltage the voltage is pretty steady at 13.5 while driving and at idle its flickers from 13.3-13.5 when press and hold REST and number 24 i also had the battery tested at AUTOZONE
What Ohlord was trying to explain to you is that the error messages occur after the car has been shut off and the battery voltage drops due to discharge either from a 'bad' consumer or a failing battery. Did Autozone remove the battery and perform a load test? Testing the voltage with the battery in the circuit doesn't tell much. A common symptom of a failing battery is sensor error messages when there is no problem.

No need to panic about the brakes. The wear sensors trip when there is about 2.5mm of brake pad left. Learn to properly inspect your brakes or find an indy you can trust. While there are knowledgeable mechanics at the chain stores, most don't have much experience with MB. Since the brakes are kind of important , you should have them measured (rotors and pads) about once a year. That means removing the pads from the calipers not just eyeballing. If it's being done right, you should be told the exact thickness of the rotors and pads on each of the 4 hubs.

BTW, autohausaz is a great source for OEM brake parts even if you prefer to have the parts installed by a 3rd party. There's plenty of time to figure out what you need, order the parts and find someone to install them or learn yourself.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:52 PM

2000 E430 Sport
My wife just told me that the brake lining light just came on yesterday, but the brakes are working fine. I just had two tires installed on the rear end so, is it possible that might be causing the light to come on or maybe the sensors were disturbed when they replaced the tires?? And, maybe its time for some new pads, I'll have to check and see when the last brake job was done. I'm sure I had rotors and pads all replaced at the same time on all four wheels. Maybe all I will need are the pads this time. I'll try and do it on my own, if that's the case.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:17 PM

E320 (1999)
Providing that the brake sensors are working properly, if the "brake lining" warning comes on, that means that brake pad wear has reached the degree where one of the brake lining sensor's circuit is exposed, which triggers the message. This happens when about 1-2 mm (approx. 10-20%) of brake pad material is still left.

Hence, the message gives you a heads-up with a massive safety margin before the brakes will stop working normally. The appearance of this message does not mean "stop the car and have it towed to a workshop to replace the brakes immediately because driving further would endanger you and others." It means: "Be alerted that one (or more) brake pads are approaching the end of their service life and ought to be replaced in the near future." Depending on your driving style, you could safely drive many hundreds or even thousands of miles before no pad material would be left and things would get critical. But do take care of this in the near future. By the way, you can rather easily check brake pad thickness visually using a strong light by looking through the holes in the rim without removing the wheel. The rotors have remaining thickness specifications for when they are still serviceable (e.g. can be left on the car) and when they need to be replaced together with the pads.