E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

EGR Pipe Clogged...HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 E430
BTW when adding seafoam to the crankcase, is it done prior to changing oil, after the oil is just changed? And does the oil need to be changed after running it for a few miles to remove all the build up from the oil and engine?
Old 02-27-2014, 05:19 PM

1999 E430
Follow the instructions for the use of SeaFoam on the can -- it covers everything from pouring it in the crankcase before an oil change, to cleaning the vacuum system, to running it through the butterfly. I echo that this stuff is AMAZING. I've used it on my MB, but my biggest success with it was on my 92 Range Rover. It failed emissions (with 208k on it, no less), and I ran SeaFoam through the butterfly on it. Following the instructions to the letter, I cranked it up after I let it sit and the entire neighborhood was fogged as it burned the gunk out of my engine. Once the chemical attack was over, I took it to the inspection line and passed with flying colors. The truck sat for a year at least before that, so there was a lot of build-up -- SeaFoam cleared it all out. LOVE that stuff.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM

1995 E320 Special Edition
Vehicle: w124 ('95 E320 sedan), Engine: 104
I'm having trouble getting the EGR tube out far enough to clean it. I believe this is the new version of the tube since it protrudes into the intake plenum a little over an inch. I can get the pipe loose but can't seem to move it around enough to follow aforementioned procedures.

My question: assuming the tube is not completely blocked, will a procedure similar to the one in this video (
) work by attaching a hose to the EGR tube at the connection with the EGR valve, rather than going through the brake booster vacuum hose?

I would like to clean the intake plenum and manifold at the same time and the brake booster vacuum hose attaches to one side of the plenum therefore missing half the system in cleaning through this route. Any feedback?
Old 05-26-2014, 01:16 PM

1995 E320 Special Edition
I just cleaned my EGR tube and it was quite easy with the throttle body removed. Follow this link first (takes roughly 10-15 minutes): http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w124...ttle-body.html.

Once the throttle body is off, remove the EGR tube:
1) disconnect the nut at the EGR valve (17 mm open end wrench, I think). You may need to remove the whole valve in order to move the tube out of the EGR valve connection.
2) detach the small hanger attached to the oil filter housing (5mm alan wrench/socket with long extension on ratchet)
3) disconnect tube from plenum - the portion of the intake upon which the throttle body sits (two 10 mm hex bolts)

I was unable to remove the tube from the engine compartment because it was stuck in the EGR tube. Fortunately, with the throttle body off, I could move it around enough to stick a small flat head screw driver into the tube and scrape out the carbon deposits. Lots of chunks came out and this was sufficient to fully unclog the tube without going through the trouble of soaking it with chemicals or trying to ram a speedometer cable through it.

Replace gaskets for both the throttle body and the EGR tube.

This resolved the engine light and code issue.