Go Back   MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W210)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Sponsored by : My Mercedes Parts
Click Here

Welcome to MBWorld.org!
Welcome to MBWorld,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #1

P0410 code SOLVED ! ! ! ! !

I was getting a PO410 code popping up and sometime even getting the 17? and another 17? code to. The 17? codes wound up being hoses that were popping off that were associated with the charcoal canister (gas return system) so that vapors don't vent to the atmosphere.

The P0410 error code was more involved. I would reset the code and monitor when the code would re-appear. It was at intervals of 200 miles. I went on the MB forums and read as much as I could about this code and things that other people had tried. The cheapest thing was adding a Lucas additive that's available at WalMart for about $10. You get about 4-5 treatments with the container. The first treatment that I did which is nothing more than adding 3oz to a full tank brought the intervals up to 260 miles. I thendid another treatment and it brought it up to 330 miles. Well I am now on my 4 treatment and well over 400 miles and NO P0410 error code.

This is a VERY complex error code which can get VERYexpensive to repair if you bring it to MB. All I know is that my gas mileage has gotten better and the intervals have lessened considerably. Hopefully after 1 more bottle of Lucas I wont be getting any error codes despite the mileage !

Kevin
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

mrmuzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #2

Drives: 2001 S430, 2007 Explorer
Other than I think you're possibly correcting the symptom rather than the sickness, I would also be wary about running that much Lucas through your engine (and eventually vapor to your cats)- the E manual specifically states NOT to use any fuel additives beyond typical pump additives due to sensitive cats- anyway, good luck!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

Drives: 97 E320, 04 C230K, 06 R500
I just had the same code pop up on me this am............at 200 miles?? what is the problem???

I will check to see if the pump is working tomorrow am...........then check the fuse..........and hose's...........anything else???

HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by gatonls; 06-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.
gatonls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #4
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Secondary air pump

the code clearing had not thing to do with what you put in the fuel.The sec air pump comes on at start up to inject added oxygen into the exhaust so that the cats fire up in under 2 minutes.The P0410 will return. At least until you fix the secondary air issue. Lucas will not do it. P0410 also has no affect on mpg.The air pump comes on for a few minutes when the engine is cold(you can hear it pumping along when the engine is at high idle on cold start and then it goes off.
The obd2 system checks it periodically for proper function.
Check vac lines to it.Disconnect the feed lines to the exhaust and spray with crc cleaner, check the check valve. It is not a circuit malfunction or anything that a fuel additive will repair.
In colder months the check valve will fill with moisture,The weather has warmed up and the code is gone,it will return when the weather gets cold.Cheap part,replace it before it damages the air pump,which ain't so cheap.

00-02 drivers side heated self dimming mirror glass
O2 sensors plug and play
17mm special spark plug boot tool
Spring loaded u joint spark plug socket
722.6 transmission dipstick
W210 W124 parts
Cryo rotors
Brake pads F.S.

Cognomen is in homage to the late great Janis Joplin "Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz"
ohlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:51 AM   #5

Drives: 97 E320, 04 C230K, 06 R500
Thanks for the info Ohlord...............I will check the lines and check valve, also spray cleaner as you sugested.

How do you know if the check valve is bad?........other then looking at it? would it be a wise choice to just replace?? 12 yr old car??
gatonls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:58 AM   #6

Drives: 1991 SC Miata, 1999 W210 Estate Wagon
This code has been an issue for me for about a year. The first time, I noticed that the vacuum lines to the check valves were damaged and replaced them. However, the code never went away. I suspect that because the check valves never actuated, exhaust debris built up on the channels and plugged them.

This morning, I removed the check valves and checked them for functionality (they both open at about 11 in.Hg). With the valves off the car, I ran the engine and noticed that the driver side reeds were flapping, indicating that they were open. The ones on the passenger side remained static, which meant they were blocked.

I tried to remove the valve housing stem and attempt to pry the blockage loose, but after removing the torx bolt, the stem would still not budge (it looks to be integrated to the manifold). I tried to force high-pressure air through the check valve (open, of course) but the channel appears completely sealed.

The error did clear itself when I was running without the check valves on, but I think the only real way for me to resolve this is to somehow clean the passenger side channel. Also used solvent cleaner but without an opening, it didn't really help.
ron m. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #7

Drives: SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlord View Post
the code clearing had not thing to do with what you put in the fuel.The sec air pump comes on at start up to inject added oxygen into the exhaust so that the cats fire up in under 2 minutes.The P0410 will return. At least until you fix the secondary air issue. Lucas will not do it. P0410 also has no affect on mpg.The air pump comes on for a few minutes when the engine is cold(you can hear it pumping along when the engine is at high idle on cold start and then it goes off.
The obd2 system checks it periodically for proper function.
Check vac lines to it.Disconnect the feed lines to the exhaust and spray with crc cleaner, check the check valve. It is not a circuit malfunction or anything that a fuel additive will repair.
In colder months the check valve will fill with moisture,The weather has warmed up and the code is gone,it will return when the weather gets cold.Cheap part,replace it before it damages the air pump,which ain't so cheap.

I have had the problem for quite sometime. Where are these feed lines located, so that I can check them?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 AM   #8
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: 2006 Weistec 3.0L SC'd C55, 2006 MaxPsi PT6466 Turbo'd M3
I got this error code for the first time a few days ago. I replaced the air pump and drove it for 350 miles before it came back again.

I will call my shop and ask him if he cleaned the check valve or inspected the vacuum lines, solenoid or even the fuse.
Perf Mods:DYNOCOMP/EVOTECH tuned |10.5:1 Mahle pistons&rods|3.0 Litre Twin-Screw SC|ECU|TCU|Cams|MBH Headers|Ported Heads|Oversized valves|750cc injectors|Duel "3in exhaust|82mm TB|3.5"CAI|CM90|5Gal resevoir|Code3FMHE|PTE T-Stat|Quaife|Maybach Trans|HSTC|Phenolics|Brembos|H&R sways|Bilstein PSS9|MbArts camber kit|Speedybenz toe kit|Kmac caster kit|Braile|CCW|MT|FG vented hood&fenders.
AMGSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:48 AM   #9

Where is all this stuff located?

Does anyone have a picture of the lines, check valves, etc. so that I can check mine? I just had the same issue pop up on my 1999 E430. Probably time to clean everything out. Of course, I just got the DMV renewal and need a smog check....;-)

Thanks,
Chris
ckolstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #10

Drives: ML320
OBD II Code P0410 Resolved

My 2000 ML320 was plagued by this code, and thus a "Check Engine" light for over a year. The fix unfortunately came from the Service Center at my local Benz dealer.

Below is the description of all the things the dealer fixed on my vehicle to clear this code. I'm not very Automobile technical so I would never have tried any of this work myself. Perhaps some of you are.

Service Description:

"Performed Short-test, found codes P0410 and P0442. Checked Actual Values of Secondary Air Injection. Found that intermittently Secondary Air Values went out of spec. Inspected secondary air lines found check valve intermittently sticking. Replaced check valve. Checked actual values of evaporative system and found pressure would not hold. Connected smoke-machine to evaporative system to check for leaks. Found rubber connecting hose at rear of tank cracked. Repaired cracked line. Erased codes. Performed extended test drives, and all is functioning normally."

My "Check Engine" light was coming on at about 110 miles of driving before this work. It has not returned since.

I hope this helps.
Nkosiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 11:52 PM   #11

Drives: C32 AMG
i just got 3 codes on my C32 AMG please help P0410 P0300 P0306...-__-"

Last edited by kyleveran; 10-30-2011 at 11:54 PM.
kyleveran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

Drives: 1991 190E:1998 E320 4Matic wagon : 2000 E320 4Matic
Had a check engine lightcome on and code read P0410 . Last night I had the engine cover off while checking my tranny fluid. I threw the engine cover back on quickly with one hand.
After reading the code I popped the hood only to see that I had knocked off a vaccum line in my hast..nice easy fix
Chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #13
MBWorld Fanatic!

Drives: LET C32 2002
Send a message via Yahoo to c32used
I just got this code this morning and I just took car out of storage yesterday and drove like 75-80 miles since and no codes. I still have to change SC pulley bearing but I know that has nothing to do with it. Temperature today when engine code came on was around 45-50 and engine ran smooth and I let car warm up for like 2 minutes before driving it. When I got to Amoco to refuel engine light was on. Once home I scanned it and p0410 was fault I erased code and ran scan again engine light was there. I turned car off and back on and code cleared and engine light gone. I'm gonna be monitoring it but anyone has pics or a YouTube video link that shows the secondary air pump and hoses and valves associated?
c32used is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #14

Drives: 1996 E320, 1990 Civic SI, 2012 Ducati Panigale 1199
Quote:
Originally Posted by c32used View Post
I just got this code this morning and I just took car out of storage yesterday and drove like 75-80 miles since and no codes. I still have to change SC pulley bearing but I know that has nothing to do with it. Temperature today when engine code came on was around 45-50 and engine ran smooth and I let car warm up for like 2 minutes before driving it. When I got to Amoco to refuel engine light was on. Once home I scanned it and p0410 was fault I erased code and ran scan again engine light was there. I turned car off and back on and code cleared and engine light gone. I'm gonna be monitoring it but anyone has pics or a YouTube video link that shows the secondary air pump and hoses and valves associated?
They might be able to help you in the C32 forum. They also would be better able to help you about 5 years ago when this thread was active.

My Brabus W210 build thread
http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w2...ld-thread.html
FlatlineEF9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 PM

Tags
1999, 97, air, benz, clearing, code, cold, e320, error, mercedes, merceds, p0410, po410, removing, reset, s2000, secondary, start