E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

shifter switch replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Question shifter switch replacement

Ok I have the new shifter and switch assembly from Potomac European Auto and now is there a thread to go to that describes how to swap this unit for mine? I really only need the S/W switch out of the replacement unit. Would it be easier to replace just that as opposed to the whole shifter assembly/ Any help is welcome. PS. It is my W/S switch that has gone bad.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
To remove the shifter the shift wood panel must be removed..lifts off
remove the shifter mounting screws
from under the car disconnect the shifter rod..Clip..
Then unplug the shifter assy

Its not that hard to do

Its best to have the shifter out of the car to replace the W/S switch..
Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
The whole module is one piece

you can not just replace one switch.
http://w210.pietrzyk.net/disassembly_interior.htm
are you sure it is the switch and not the signal to the pse?

I am wondering why you bought a whole shifter and switch assembly and are considering replacing it all when it is only the switch module under the wood console that contains the s/w and the window,mirror controls etc as a easy to replace unit.

Last edited by ohlord; 10-10-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

First, Thanks Mark for the concise replacement tack. I can follow that.
Second, OhLord, I bot the whole shifter assembly due to the codes I received from the dealer stating the W/S switch was bad but the shifter assembly had to be bot as a whole unit. After emailing w/ you about the error codes, you had recommended Potomac and that you were checking local sources and I would check the dealer (488.00 plus install labor at 110.00/hr) and Potomac came back at 170.00 delivered with 6mos warranty and I install (for the challenge in it). So now it is here and time for the install. It sounds like it is best to replace the unit as a whole and not try to just replace the switch, sound right? Let me know as this is the weekend project. Thanks again all.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
That is

great we both supplied the needed info.Poto is mbpartsonline and at $170 delivered with a warranty for the proper part you can't miss.That is cheaper than the module alone.
There is also another diy for the shifter removal on benzworld.org w210 section diy's that might give you some pictures Mark or another member had posted on the shifter r/r.

you might want to pick up some new shifter bushings at the dealer and install them if your old ones are worn out.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 E 320S4 210.282 4Matic Estate
PM Sent

Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Ok I have the new shifter and switch assembly from Potomac European Auto and now is there a thread to go to that describes how to swap this unit for mine? I really only need the S/W switch out of the replacement unit. Would it be easier to replace just that as opposed to the whole shifter assembly/ Any help is welcome. PS. It is my W/S switch that has gone bad.
PM Sent
Old 10-12-2008, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok. Job was completed in one hour and that was with removal of the back half of the console. I just wanted to do some cleaning in there as I am really fussy on detail.
1-Unhooking the shifter from under neath was a few seconds, just one clip easily reached.
2-Up top remove the shifter ball by unscrewing base of ball and lifting ball off.
3-pry up gently the shifter trim surround and lift off the wood grain plate.
4-Lift out and unhook the main wood grain plate with the switches surrounding the shifter.
6-Remove the six screws holding the back half of console in place then lift up and back. careful about the phone hookup leads at the back of the console
7-Unhook heater ducting, two pieces, surounding the shifter.
8-Two more screws for the front attaching bar between the console halves.
9-And three allen screws for the shifter to to tranny floor mount.
10-Then unplug the harness from the front and one more front mounted cable and it was out.
Probably could be done in 20-25 minutes. Thanks to Mark Cummins and Oh Lord for the input.
To Franasia, the brake lock trap door on mine was also no good and I think it would be a chore to take apart for just that. Go to Potomac German auto and order a used unit with 6 mos. warranty for $150.00. Have your VIN # handy as there are two versions one with Tiptronic (left right toggle shift in D+-) and one w/o. It is simple and worth it.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You should

post your diy over on benzworld.org w210 section as an addition to the other thread on shifter r/r.earlier models were prone to failure if water or liquid was spilled down there.
Thanks for the great write up:very well explained.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Ok. Job was completed in one hour and that was with removal of the back half of the console. I just wanted to do some cleaning in there as I am really fussy on detail.
1-Unhooking the shifter from under neath was a few seconds, just one clip easily reached.
2-Up top remove the shifter ball by unscrewing base of ball and lifting ball off.
3-pry up gently the shifter trim surround and lift off the wood grain plate.
4-Lift out and unhook the main wood grain plate with the switches surrounding the shifter.
6-Remove the six screws holding the back half of console in place then lift up and back. careful about the phone hookup leads at the back of the console
7-Unhook heater ducting, two pieces, surounding the shifter.
8-Two more screws for the front attaching bar between the console halves.
9-And three allen screws for the shifter to to tranny floor mount.
10-Then unplug the harness from the front and one more front mounted cable and it was out.
Probably could be done in 20-25 minutes. Thanks to Mark Cummins and Oh Lord for the input.
To Franasia, the brake lock trap door on mine was also no good and I think it would be a chore to take apart for just that. Go to Potomac German auto and order a used unit with 6 mos. warranty for $150.00. Have your VIN # handy as there are two versions one with Tiptronic (left right toggle shift in D+-) and one w/o. It is simple and worth it.
Do i need to get under the car to replace the unit ? I've seen some pics where there are bushes underneath. More over the w/s switch, can that be replaced separately ?