E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Vacuum door lock actuator replacement - easy!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 929 Likes on 721 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Vacuum door lock actuator replacement - easy!

The first time I replaced a door lock actuator it took me a week of research and about 3 hours of labor.

I replaced the other rear door lock actuator last night and it only took me one hour start to finish. What made it even better is it was no cost as I used the previously broken actuator that I had repaired.

First photo is of the replaced part. Second photo shows where the actuators break and the upper portion separates from the lower portion so the doors will not unlock.
Attached Thumbnails Vacuum door lock actuator replacement - easy!-actuator-replace0.jpg   Vacuum door lock actuator replacement - easy!-actuator-replace1.jpg  
Old 02-13-2015, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 ML350
Would you by any chance, know how to remove the front door actuator? I've looked but the DIY on Pelican Parts site and it looks different from my door. I was just replacing my speaker in the same door and I couldn't figure it out.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by shawndh
Would you by any chance, know how to remove the front door actuator? I've looked but the DIY on Pelican Parts site and it looks different from my door. I was just replacing my speaker in the same door and I couldn't figure it out.

Negative, Ghost Rider. I have not yet worked with the front door lock actuators and I am in no rush to do so. If you disassemble yours for R&R, please, please(!) take plenty of photos, resize them, formate into a document explaining what actions you performed, .pdf the file, and upload! Many, many folks will be thankful to you for your sacrifice!

Best of luck. Go slow and document.
Old 05-29-2020, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 W210 E240
front door lock/actuator

Hi,

Im currently doing my front passenger side door and found that the mechanism is busted as the plastic pieces are already brittle.
has anyone here tried to repair the plastic internals? Thanks in advance.

(Sorry was not able to take pictures but found a guide in pelican with pictures which i seen after disasembly )
Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
If the plastic is brittle you would be better off installing a replacement. You can fix one brittle spot and then another will break and you get to do it all over again.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by shawndh
A suggestion: Take photos of what you have in yours, and post and upload them for other to see on a new thread. Letting others see what you need to do can also assist you in your process.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:14 PM

1998 W210 E240
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
If the plastic is brittle you would be better off installing a replacement. You can fix one brittle spot and then another will break and you get to do it all over again.
Hi, yes i ended up replacing the part as there were so many plastic parts which could no longer be repaired.
good thing i found one cheap near my area.

its a good experience along with some cuts but its all worth it.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:17 PM

w202 C220
Negative, Ghost Rider. I have not yet worked with the front door lock actuators and I am in no rush to do so. If you disassemble yours for R&R, please, please(!) take plenty of photos, resize them, formate into a document explaining what actions you performed, .pdf the file, and upload! Many, many folks will be thankful to you for your sacrifice!

Best of luck. Go slow and document.
Hi, I know this is an old thread but in case you get to read it, is removing the door card and thereafter removing the door lock with the actuator an easy task, no special tool needed?
Old 09-04-2022, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jakewise
Hi, I know this is an old thread but in case you get to read it, is removing the door card and thereafter removing the door lock with the actuator an easy task, no special tool needed?
No special tools needed. Do have industrial adhesive and multiple small C-clamps on hand as the door card will separate into multiple pieces. The factory adhesive breaks down after 10-20 years so you will need to glue the pieces together. Not hard. Just need to let the industrial adhesive cure for a few hours.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:31 AM

w202 C220
No special tools needed. Do have industrial adhesive and multiple small C-clamps on hand as the door card will separate into multiple pieces. The factory adhesive breaks down after 10-20 years so you will need to glue the pieces together. Not hard. Just need to let the industrial adhesive cure for a few hours.
thanks, appreciate it