E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes...

I finally got my car back from the shop in tip-top condition! However, after rolling in a set of RS6-retrofitted Bixenon DEPOs for two years, the OEM Xenons leave much to be desired. So I set out to make a new set of retrofitted DEPOs. This time around, I decided to do something a little different: DEMON Eyes. I've been looking around for fresh, new ideas and LEDs (with in-line resistors, of course) have been integrated into the newer headlights. I've also seen several imports forums (370Z, etc.) and they had nice set-ups, but weren't DOT-legal. I wanted something that was legal and looked clean.

I checked out my usual vendors for the LED strips and the end result is aesthetically pleasing, yet not too over the top, IMO. I wired the LEDs and in-line resistors in parallel with the parking lights. Once the Xenon headlights come on, the amber DEMON Eyes aren't visible. Still looks nice! I dremeled out the parking light under the high beam to allow room for the LED parking bulbs. I think the white LEDs are a close enough match :^_^:

As far as output goes, cut-off is RAZOR sharp with the ZKW replica lenses. I threw out the OEM fresnel lenses for these CLEAR lenses...boy am I glad that I did. I'll post a picture of the cut-off once I get them in my car this weekend.

I took all day for the retrofit today and I was sure to have latex gloves on when touching the CHROME, as it peels easily. Anyhow, enough talking, here are the pics! These are the ones that give you an idea of how they look. Enjoy!

Last edited by ghaffar23; 02-18-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
great minds think alike. i have a dismantled Depo, RS5, and ZKWs. but
i diverge at this point and have been playing around with electroluminescent
lighting....cold, organic lighting strips and cables. haven't been satisfied
with configuration....yet.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
ghaffer -
what method did you use to secure the RS6 to the Depo? tnx
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 AM

'08 CL600 with 152k km; '01 E430 4Matic with 428k km; '17 Porsche Cayenne with 103k km
Funny you mentioned EL strips...might look nice inside of some sidemarkers. However, most EL strips that I've seen need an inverter, i.e. not 12VDC out the box. I'd have to wire that inverter *and* an in-line resistor for the lamp defective message to disappear.

As far as fitting the RS6, I used my method that I mentioned for my projectors the first time back in '06, where I trimmed the bowl from the DEPO projector. I didn't run into any alignment problems with this method :^_^: As I recall, however, when I did do that the first time around, I had to trim the four tabs and a little bit of the RS6 bowl where the tabs stuck out at (to allow room for the screws) so that I could take the projectors in and out while assembling. It was quite a bit of work, but it was so much easier at the end. Take a look at the pic below. The trimming will take a bit of trial and error. You'll know how much you'll need to trim once you get to the point shown below.

Last edited by ghaffar23; 02-19-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Damn, that looks badass. Where can I get some LED parking lights?

Also, pics of the entire car with the new setup?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigBoss
Damn, that looks badass. Where can I get some LED parking lights?

Also, pics of the entire car with the new setup?
Once I get them in my car this weekend, I'll have some pics. LED parking lights can be purchased at superbrightleds.com. I got the LED strips from oznium.com only because they sell 6" strips so I don't have to waste a 19" strip at the other place.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:10 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Thanks. Is the LED strip actually inside the high beam housing? How would it look in my factory lights?
Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Thanks. Is the LED strip actually inside the high beam housing? How would it look in my factory lights?
No; rather, it is an actual LED wedge-type (194/168) bulb. Superbrightleds.com also has BA9-type base bulbs for the OEM parking lights. Only catch is you have to wire an in-line resistor in parallel with the LED. Also, it might not fit the parking light hole, as I had to dremel out my parking light where the light fits in.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:35 AM

Got them in last night, but I have to take them right back off because the right side's bixenon is malfunctioning (doesn't want to flip). I'm thinking that it has something to do with them being stuck from metal-on-metal contact. My wiring is correct and I remember I was fiddling with the shutter on one side. The lights look nice and the beam at night is very bright! Enjoy!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:31 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Wow that turned out great. Nice work. What exactly is that demon eye?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
nice. I need to reseal mine because one of them keeps fogging up.

How hard is it to swap out the regular lens for the ZKW and will they fit on e55/maxima projectors?
Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 PM

Wow that turned out great. Nice work. What exactly is that demon eye?
Demon eye is the opposite of angel eyes lolol. The BMW Angel Eyes or Halo are the rings on the outside of the projector; The demon eyes are comprised of a 6" LED strip essentially lighting the projector itself. It has 3M double-sided tape on it, so I stuck the strip itself to the *inside* of projector (right behind the lense). Most ppl put different colors into their demon eyes, but I wanted something that was DOT legal :^_^: I thought of doing white demon eyes, but they didn't stand out as much as orange ones.

Originally Posted by illest
nice. I need to reseal mine because one of them keeps fogging up.

How hard is it to swap out the regular lens for the ZKW and will they fit on e55/maxima projectors?
The lense replacement is *easy* and it is possible with the E55/Maxima projector set-up. I believe those are Hella as well. Check out theretrofitsource dot com for some clear lenses. Just bend the tabs that are holding the projectors and swap them out. Don't forget to put the spacer back behind the lense. Nothing too technical, but you do have to take the lense out of the headlight. The difference in light quality is noticeable. Much sharper cutoff, more color, and most importantly, very uniform beam pattern.

Last edited by ghaffar23; 02-21-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:24 PM

2002 Mercedes Benz E320
Yea I like angel eyes, but I would feel like a dumbass putting them on anything other than a BMW.

I've decided I want to do the DEPO projector retrofit, just not sure which way to go with it.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ghaffar23
Demon eye is the opposite of angel eyes lolol. The BMW Angel Eyes or Halo are the rings on the outside of the projector; The demon eyes are comprised of a 6" LED strip essentially lighting the projector itself. It has 3M double-sided tape on it, so I stuck the strip itself to the *inside* of projector (right behind the lense). Most ppl put different colors into their demon eyes, but I wanted something that was DOT legal :^_^: I thought of doing white demon eyes, but they didn't stand out as much as orange ones.

The lense replacement is *easy* and it is possible with the E55/Maxima projector set-up. I believe those are Hella as well. Check out theretrofitsource dot com for some clear lenses. Just bend the tabs that are holding the projectors and swap them out. Don't forget to put the spacer back behind the lense. Nothing too technical, but you do have to take the lense out of the headlight. The difference in light quality is noticeable. Much sharper cutoff, more color, and most importantly, very uniform beam pattern.
Nicely done.. any pics at night from a distance ? I found a guy on fleebay that's offering HID w/Ballasts already retrofit? Can you take a looksie and tell me if this looks legit?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to give my car a fresh look with the new Headlights.

Armani

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Old 02-22-2010, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by armaniE55
Nicely done.. any pics at night from a distance ? I found a guy on fleebay that's offering HID w/Ballasts already retrofit? Can you take a looksie and tell me if this looks legit?

Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to give my car a fresh look with the new Headlights.

Armani

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
Nope, those are no good due to the simple reason that he just put a kit in. He didn't go through the lengths to do the job correctly, i.e. retrofit OEM D2S projectors. My output will far overpower these inferior kits. I haven't seen anyone on eBay sell a set of retrofitted DEPOs like the ones that Zam, Raymond, and several other members here on MBWorld made. It'll cost more than $330 to do the job right :^_^:

I'll get a picture of the output tomorrow night as it is late already and I am in bed :^_^: Rest assured the output is *very* sharp, crisp, and unlike anything you'll see on the road. OEM ZKWs were hard to find until replica ZKWs came out. TSX, S2000 and TL projectors came close, but there's hardly anything else that didn't have CLEAR lenses can match the sharp cutoff and output of the ZKWs...and the ones I'm using are REPLICAs! Just as good as the original too!

Last edited by ghaffar23; 02-22-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:48 AM

97 E420 W210, 95 Volvo 850 Turbo Wagon
very very impressive! I must admit, I dont really like the orange-ish color, but that was an excellent idea and it looks great! Not to mention, when you said Demon eyes, i thought it would be like the angel eyes in BMW's but this is different and creative! You used LED's to light up the projector when its not in use, thats genius!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:54 AM

mb
They really looks so nice. Thanks for sharing pics.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
Cool

Originally Posted by ghaffar23
Nope, those are no good due to the simple reason that he just put a kit in. He didn't go through the lengths to do the job correctly, i.e. retrofit OEM D2S projectors. My output will far overpower these inferior kits. I haven't seen anyone on eBay sell a set of retrofitted DEPOs like the ones that Zam, Raymond, and several other members here on MBWorld made. It'll cost more than $330 to do the job right :^_^:

I'll get a picture of the output tomorrow night as it is late already and I am in bed :^_^: Rest assured the output is *very* sharp, crisp, and unlike anything you'll see on the road. OEM ZKWs were hard to find until replica ZKWs came out. TSX, S2000 and TL projectors came close, but there's hardly anything else that didn't have CLEAR lenses can match the sharp cutoff and output of the ZKWs...and the ones I'm using are REPLICAs! Just as good as the original too!
Ahh.. I see, Excuse the ignorance I'm still a NOOB to all this Depo Retrofit.

Let me ask this question? Would it be possible to purchase a set of Depo Lights (without the HID) and use the one that's currently on my car now? Seeing that they are HID?

So basically swap out the HID? Xenon? or I should say ballasts?

or no Dice? Can't pass go????

Trying to weigh out my options here. My roof spoiler just came in and I'm pulling the Trigger on AMS Headers soon. (trying to keep cost down)

Thanks again!

Armani

** Still looking forward to see the lights at nighttime

Last edited by armaniE55; 02-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Let me ask this question? Would it be possible to purchase a set of Depo Lights (without the HID) and use the one that's currently on my car now? Seeing that they are HID?

if at all, the only thing reuseable is your ballast. you are unable to reuse
your HID bulb because it is model D2R, which is designed for use with a
reflector based HID headlight design. what you are looking to get, however,
is a projector based HID headlight, which uses D2S bulb. the two bulbs have
different design and focal points.

So basically swap out the HID? Xenon? or I should say ballasts?

ballasts only. that'll save you about $100
Old 02-22-2010, 11:57 PM

1997 s320, 1997 e320
glen, your parking lights look bright white which i like a lot. what did you use? all the led's that i have seen look more bluish than white in parking lights (h6w), but yours look crisp white. what did you use?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by tirona
glen, your parking lights look bright white which i like a lot. what did you use? all the led's that i have seen look more bluish than white in parking lights (h6w), but yours look crisp white. what did you use?
Superbrightleds.com - LED wedge-type bulbs: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...ini-wedge.html

For OEM BA9-base type bulbs, go here:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...A9S6_specs.htm

Here are more pics of the output, colorful cut-off, and a live video of me having a walk around of the lights. These are pics with me parked approximately 40 feet at the base of a slight incline. There's also a video after the images! In last part though, the LEDs show up as blue-white, but they're natural white. The demon eyes are orange/amber.

Here's the video:

Funny story...I was on the highway and had someone promptly pull over to the side of the road in front of me because they thought that I was a state trooper. After I passed them, they merged back onto the highway. You'll see why with the flickering colors

Last edited by ghaffar23; 02-23-2010 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
Very nice. I think I will try the ZKW lenses. The lenses I have now are ok but the cut off is only sharp in the middle. I am using 6k bulbs so mine are not as colorful.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM

1997 s320, 1997 e320
thanx glenn for the pics and video. looking really good. your hard work really payed off. i have never considered playing with the headlights, but after seeing your pics i might give it a try once it gets warm. right now i'm just using hyper white h7 osrams which look white, but i hate the yellow parking lights. i bought some "white" leds with built in resistors so no lamp error, but they look kind of blue to me up close. from far away they look better and more white, but from up close or at an angle i think they look blue. i have attached a couple pics.
Attached Thumbnails My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes...-lights1.jpg   My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes...-lights2.jpg   My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes...-lights3.jpg  
Old 02-24-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by tirona
thanx glenn for the pics and video. looking really good. your hard work really payed off. i have never considered playing with the headlights, but after seeing your pics i might give it a try once it gets warm. right now i'm just using hyper white h7 osrams which look white, but i hate the yellow parking lights. i bought some "white" leds with built in resistors so no lamp error, but they look kind of blue to me up close. from far away they look better and more white, but from up close or at an angle i think they look blue. i have attached a couple pics.
Ah I see what you're saying about the blue up close...it's pretty hard to find LEDs that will match xenons or even "white" incandescent bulbs perfectly.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:04 AM

1997 s320, 1997 e320
mine are not xenons, just regular h7 halogens. but the bulb i have in right now (osram hyper white h7) is quite a bit brighter and whiter than regular h7, but not as bright as xenons. maybe the leds look whiter with xenons than with halogens.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My new DEPO RS6-ZKW retrofit with AMBER Demon Eyes...