E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Need to know how to replace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 E320 Sedan
Exclamation Need to know how to replace

the dashboard top cover as it is cracked on my 2000 E320 . how to and where to find parts?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
98 Brilliant Silver E320 Wagon
Cracking was pretty common on early models. Especially black and blue colored dash panels. There was even a MB 'good will' replacement campaign back in the late 90's if you had bought new.

My dealer quoted me $2800 for R/R. About $1500 for dash itself.

I don't have all the details but it's pretty major surgery. Removal of wood trim, A/C nozzles,air bag,speaker grills, cluster, front portion of center console, etc. is needed to get at fasteners.

I have a few small cracks and my SA gave me the number of a local guy who does repairs. However, when I talked to him he was only willing to attempt repair if I agreed to no guarantees. He said he could fix the cracks but they might reappear as soon as the next day. It's all about stress, temperature change and the fact that the underlying foam has different thermal characteristics than the vinyl covering.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
these days vinyl can be repaired quite easily by someone who knows how for a whole lot less. depending on the damaged area, small areas the size of a quarter or so go for $50 a pop.

check with a local upholstery shop and they can recommend someone, usually independent and mobile. many big dealers use these guys and then turn around and charge an arm'n'leg to their customer.

here's the local guy i use... http://uphfix.com/
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM

97 E-420
A new dash installed is probably going to cost more than the car s worth!

I've got a local guy lined up to fix my cracks. He looked at them when he re dyed my front seats. He says it's hard to get in and do a good job with the rake on the windshield, and since I need my windshield replaced anyway due to rock chips, he's going to do it when the windshield is out.

He also says, who knows if more cracks will appear or if the fix will hold. According to him mercedes is one of the worst recent mfg for bad dash cracks, which I believe. I've had much older cars w/o any cracks.

His suggestion, ALWAYS use a sunshade on the dash. Best thing you can do to avoid cracks.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 AM

99' E320 4MATIC ESTATE / 92' 190E 2.6
front glass uv tint

Originally Posted by E-420
A new dash installed is probably going to cost more than the car s worth!

I've got a local guy lined up to fix my cracks. He looked at them when he re dyed my front seats. He says it's hard to get in and do a good job with the rake on the windshield, and since I need my windshield replaced anyway due to rock chips, he's going to do it when the windshield is out.

He also says, who knows if more cracks will appear or if the fix will hold. According to him mercedes is one of the worst recent mfg for bad dash cracks, which I believe. I've had much older cars w/o any cracks.

His suggestion, ALWAYS use a sunshade on the dash. Best thing you can do to avoid cracks.
Ever since I tinted the front glass, none of my (black) dash cracks have advanced. Clear UV tin$75-$100 It has not seen the inside of a garage for 2 years...