E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Long Cranking before Engine Starts

Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E240
Long Cranking before Engine Starts

This problem has been there intermittently for over a year. Sometimes never once for 3 weeks. Sometimes every 2 days. The issue - when I flip key to pos 3 and release, the cranking will last 6-7 seconds before engine ignites. Already changed fuel pump, fuel filter, crankshaft pos sensor, fuel pump relay, spark plugs, all brand new original Benz parts, but problem remains. Only difference is that the sound of cranking has changed. Before, cranking sounds softer, like some minor parts moving to complete a cycle; after the change, cranking sounds louder, more like the flywheel mechanically rotating. The tachometer needle doesn't move while cranking. It will then bounce up and engine is ignited; or occasionally the needle seems to be a bit stuck in the middle for 1 second, then bouncing up and engine is ignited. Any thoughts to share?

I don't want to keep throwing money on new parts, for no results.

Last edited by Perrier; 06-18-2010 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:22 AM

2001 E240
Any thoughts?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 E320 - RIP
when running...has it stalled at all? how does it run? when wanting to speed up, does it downshift properly? any codes, check engine light? ....try here for thought.... http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...wer-p0120.html

Last edited by kbad; 06-21-2010 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:00 AM

2001 E240
No stall. Runs perfect. Shift up or down beautifully. No Codes. Nothing. Only this intermittent long cranking.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
210 55
This is a common issue with te fuel pressure regulator, i think they are inside the fuel filter. try a new one & comment.

Fabio Daniel
Old 06-21-2010, 10:37 PM

2001 E240
Both fuel pump and fuel filters were changed. Brand new Mercedes parts...not "knock-off" parts.

Now remaining possible culprits include>>>
camshaft position sensor
starter regulator
key
EIS

What is your bet?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:05 AM

2000 E430 Sport
Crank position sensor
Old 06-22-2010, 10:20 AM

2001 E240
Why everybody was pointing to crank pos sensor and nobody really nobody is talking about camshaft pos sensor? I am really tempted to change this out but car runs awesome and doesn't show symptom of a bad camshaft pos sensor and this makes me hesitant. I read conflicting reports - some said car still runs good but some said crappy with a bad camshaft pos sensor. Any input?
Old 06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Crank Pos. Sensor. It is aboout $40 from the local parts houses like Autohaus and ten minutes of your time to replace. It is a cheap fix and they do go bad alot. other option is the age of the battery. 4-6 years on the standard battery and 6-8 years on the black gell battery is typical. These motors require a full or near full charge to catch. Once they are running you are running off the alternator and not the battery. If not fully charged it will turn over and over but have a hard time catching to ignite. Good Luck.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 AM

2001 E240
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
Crank Pos. Sensor. It is aboout $40 from the local parts houses like Autohaus and ten minutes of your time to replace. It is a cheap fix and they do go bad alot. other option is the age of the battery. 4-6 years on the standard battery and 6-8 years on the black gell battery is typical. These motors require a full or near full charge to catch. Once they are running you are running off the alternator and not the battery. If not fully charged it will turn over and over but have a hard time catching to ignite. Good Luck.

Thannks....both Crankshaft Pos Sensor and battery were changed but problem remains.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:39 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
Originally Posted by Perrier
Thannks....both Crankshaft Pos Sensor and battery were changed but problem remains.
Starting problem 2000 E320 with 80K original owner. The battery was changed about four years ago. The last major service about three months ago the battery checked out. Two months ago the engine did not start the first thing in the morning The car was towed to the garage. The car started up without any problems. The mechanic did not find any error codes. After sitting all night the car did not start in the morning a few days ago. Three days later the vehicle started up without any problems. Have you resolved your starting problems.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:52 PM

2001 E240
Originally Posted by E2233
Starting problem 2000 E320 with 80K original owner. The battery was changed about four years ago. The last major service about three months ago the battery checked out. Two months ago the engine did not start the first thing in the morning The car was towed to the garage. The car started up without any problems. The mechanic did not find any error codes. After sitting all night the car did not start in the morning a few days ago. Three days later the vehicle started up without any problems. Have you resolved your starting problems.

My problem is different from yours. Mine starts every time, albeit randomly the cranking is longer than usual running upto 7-8 seconds. Yours sounds like the camshaft position sensor or the 4-year old battery.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 AM

2000 E320 2009 E550
My problem is different from yours. Mine starts every time, albeit randomly the cranking is longer than usual running upto 7-8 seconds. Yours sounds like the camshaft position sensor or the 4-year old battery.
I asked my mechanic about the battery and the crank position sensor. He said the electrical system checked out okay. He said not crank position sensor because the problem occurs from cold start and does not cut off while driving. This has only happen a couple of times and started up after being towed to the garage. The second time it happen was about three months later and started up the next day. The mechanic said it is best if he can duplicate the problem rather than guessing and replacing a lot parts that may not help. If it becomes more frequent I will leave it at the garage. I will post the cause when I find out from the mechanic.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:25 AM

2001 E240
I asked my mechanic about the battery and the crank position sensor. He said the electrical system checked out okay. He said not crank position sensor because the problem occurs from cold start and does not cut off while driving. This has only happen a couple of times and started up after being towed to the garage. The second time it happen was about three months later and started up the next day. The mechanic said it is best if he can duplicate the problem rather than guessing and replacing a lot parts that may not help. If it becomes more frequent I will leave it at the garage. I will post the cause when I find out from the mechanic.

I said CAMSHAFT pos sensor not CRANKSHAFT. For this kind of random problem, think only in the direction of electronics which might act up along with age. I tell you - I changed the crankshaft pos sensor, camshaft pos sensor, coolant temp sensor, pre-cat 02 sesnor, solenoid / starter, starter relay - which I guessed all are well but wrongly identified. I can give them free to you if you want.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:09 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
I said CAMSHAFT pos sensor not CRANKSHAFT. For this kind of random problem, think only in the direction of electronics which might act up along with age. I tell you - I changed the crankshaft pos sensor, camshaft pos sensor, coolant temp sensor, pre-cat 02 sesnor, solenoid / starter, starter relay - which I guessed all are well but wrongly identified. I can give them free to you if you want.
The mechanic said I could spend a lot of money on parts that don't work. We do not drive the E320 more than 20 miles a day two and from work. We were only unable to start the car twice in the last three months. The most recent was last week in the morning. The next day it started up without any problems. I going to wait until it can't start anymore than tow it to the shop. It may be a few days or a few months. The mechanic wants to duplicate the problem so he can fix it.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:07 PM

2000 E320 2009 E550
CAMSHAFT POS SENSOR

Eleven months later. The vehicle did not start. This time used a flat bed truck to get the vehicle to the garage. The garage checked all the usual and said it was the Crankshaft sensor. He replaced that and there were no codes. I asked him about your posting. I had to call him back again because of the name of the parts. He said you should use a fuel guage to check the pressure and let the car set for a couple of hours and recheck the pressure. I will let you know if there are anymore with the starting of my vehicle.

Last edited by E2233; 05-02-2011 at 07:19 PM. Reason: correct part.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:16 PM

2001 E240
Eleven months later. The vehicle did not start. This time used a flat bed truck to get the vehicle to the garage. The garage checked all the usual and said it was the Crankshaft sensor. He replaced that and there were no codes. I asked him about your posting. I had to call him back again because of the name of the parts. He said you should use a fuel guage to check the pressure and let the car set for a couple of hours and recheck the pressure. I will let you know if there are anymore with the starting of my vehicle.

Thanks for your concern. Fuel gauge didn't solve my problem. I took a bet and changed the fuel pump and fuel filter again and everything is good again. The fuel pump that I changed in 1 year earlier is for E350 up and not for mine which is E240. The parts guy had the wrong part delivered to my old mechanic who probably didn't check before getting it installed on my car. The fuel pump before this might also be wrong - that makes me not to the suspect the fuel pump again, until 5 months ago when I really exhausted changing parts.

Last edited by Perrier; 05-04-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for your concern. Fuel gauge didn't solve my problem. I took a bet and changed the fuel pump and fuel filter again and everything is good again. The fuel pump that I changed in 1 year earlier is for E350 up and not for mine which is E240. The parts guy had the wrong part delivered to my old mechanic who probably didn't check before getting it installed on my car. The fuel pump before this might also be wrong - that makes me not to the suspect the fuel pump again, until 5 months ago when I really exhausted changing parts.
So all is good in Hong Kong with your MB? That was an exhaustive process you had to endure. Hope you got it straightened out finally. Remember it is mechanical not emotional so there is logic to the solution and in finding the cause. Congrats.
The following 2 users liked this post by ejsheltra:
Anthony Song (01-20-2021), brian Large (10-01-2020)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:39 AM

2001 E240
Originally Posted by ejsheltra
So all is good in Hong Kong with your MB? That was an exhaustive process you had to endure. Hope you got it straightened out finally. Remember it is mechanical not emotional so there is logic to the solution and in finding the cause. Congrats.

All is perfect with my MB, which is 10 years old but runs like new. Lesson learnt - think simple; don't think complicated - like changing the EIS, the key, the spark cables, the K40 assembly, the CAN BUS, the fuel being sold in HK....and all that crap on the net that I was advised to change. Be resolute.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A good life lesson learned the challenging way. thanks for sharing and glad you are back on the track!!
Old 05-30-2014, 12:09 AM

E430
so i'm having the same issue with pierre, except i haven't changed all the parts that he has listed..... i've only changed the crankshaft and camshaft sensors; and the alternator was changed 3 months ago, battery is only a week old.

i'm hesitant to throw parts at it. should i just target to change the fuel pump and fuel filter? maybe fuel regulator?

i found this video (supposedly it's a similar process for the e430):

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kmaJyJ5m7Dg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

thanks for your patience... newbie here.
Old 05-31-2014, 01:19 AM

2001 E240
Originally Posted by mokumb
so i'm having the same issue with pierre, except i haven't changed all the parts that he has listed..... i've only changed the crankshaft and camshaft sensors; and the alternator was changed 3 months ago, battery is only a week old.

i'm hesitant to throw parts at it. should i just target to change the fuel pump and fuel filter? maybe fuel regulator?

i found this video (supposedly it's a similar process for the e430):

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kmaJyJ5m7Dg" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

thanks for your patience... newbie here.

Change the fuel pump, and also the fuel filter if that is over 5 years old. The fuel regulator is built inside the fuel pump.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:48 PM

E430
thanks, perrier!
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W212 & W210
I'm having a similar problem with not starting right away after the car has been sitting or if the car has been on recently and the engine is warm.
I'm leaning toward Fuel Pressure Regulator as a possible issue. It's fairly inexpensive and a easy DIY.

Anyone else changed a Fuel Pressure Regulator before? is it easy?
Old 06-17-2014, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 377 Likes on 342 Posts
00 C200 & 00 C55 & 06 SLK55
The FPR is a part of fuel filter, round piece in front(see attached)...

Long Cranking before Engine Starts-0024773001.jpg

ZAYED,,

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: Long Cranking before Engine Starts