E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Rough idle in Park and Neutral ONLY not in gear

Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
Rough idle in Park and Neutral ONLY not in gear

Hi i have the 98 e 320 I drove home from work about 25 miles got into the driveway placed in park went inside left the car for about 20 minutes not running came back out started it up got the kids and wife in the vehicle and then noticed it jumping up on the tach gauge. put it into gear and it stopped but it would not accelerate put it back into neutral it started jumping again. got the kids n wife out and tried to drive it around the block it would not let me accelerate at all. I'm wodering if this is a MAF sensor problem? checked around and all the vac hoses were tight and not hissing. I Just replaced the battery a couple of days before this wondering if anyone else has had this problem before and what it could be. it hasn't posted any check engine lights yet. I'm sure it's a sensor of some sort if anyone has any ideals i would greatly appreciate it
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
Start off

with why was the battery replaced?
Have you check the state of charge? Just in case it was the charging circuit and not the battery.
Proceed from there if any other info comes to mind.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320
Talking Arg

Originally Posted by ohlord
with why was the battery replaced?
Have you check the state of charge? Just in case it was the charging circuit and not the battery.
Proceed from there if any other info comes to mind.
Car started to act up beginning of january thought it might have just beed the battery, parked it in the garage because we were leaving for Cozumel Mexico the next day thought i'd deal with it when we got back, got back from our Holiday (It was a great vacation by the way) got back into town Friday, the car had been sitting for a while.

Anyways, The old battery had seen better days it was only 4 years old as stated by the little sticker that said 1/07 Autozone battery, This is the battery that came with the vehicle when i purchased at auction last february had it towed to the shop for a transmission overhaul they said the battery was low and they filled it up with water. I know if an unsealed battery sits and the metal inside is exposed to air it will kill the batterys life span. Bought a refurbed battery from Interstate. saved 100 bucks nice, installed, thought the job was done being that it was -10 degrees out didn't try to start the car, 2 days past go outside to make sure it would start to my asstonishment the newer battery was dead, nice right? put it on the charger let it go for 3-4 hours. jumped in it hoping it would have solved the problem. Nope sure as hell didn't car ran at a steady rpm's then Bam started with the same intermittent rpm problem only in park and neutral though. still no throttle response when gas pedal was depressed.

On the other hand has anyone seen an Actual paper book on this year 98 e320 Im tired of seeing the pre 95 bible and the after 99 book why don't they have a bible for this year?