E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key

Old 07-15-2012, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R350
I have a similar problem now as well. I put the key in and all seems normal but won't crank engine. Tow truck driver came to tow the and putt on panic, unlock and lock buttons and somehow it enabled him to get the engine to start. He said he Thornton he "reset" the electronics by doing what he did. We have now taken the car out and are having the same problem but can't repeat what the tow truck guy was able to do. Nothing works. I hate to say it but its one problem after another with this car. Too many high tech features to break and, unfortuantley, too few competent mechanic's to fix them when they break. Even at the MB dealership. I won't be buying another one...worst car I've ever owned.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
You do not seem to be a DIY type of guy, therefore if I were you find a local indy with good MB diagnostic equipment. If he has the appropriate diagnostic equipment he will find your problem quickly. If not then my guess is just as good as-----

Additionally you have lost me----key won't move positions, however tow hack pushed the key panic button and then key would move and able to start.

You take the car out same issue occurs can't turn key or move shifter, however when you try tow hach panic button trick----nada----I am now left to believe the car is somewhere on the side of the road or did the car get towed. My guesses are as follows:

Does the battery have at least 11 volts?

When was the last time you looked at shifter bushing?
Old 02-21-2013, 05:48 AM

W211 320 CDI '07
Did someone know if and where those coils could be bought?

Originally Posted by Television
First the remote part on the key is powered from the internal batteries, when in the car ignition switch the key is powered from the car battery via a transponder coil in the end of the key.

If the key is dropped this coil can break off, I get keys from Ebay and change them.

On the longer type key there is a coil on the end and the wire on the end can break where it is soldered on, giving an intermittent operation, these can be soldered up.

Very often though this intermittent operation can be signs that the EIS ignition switch is failing.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 AM

W210 2000 E240 2.6L Twin-cam V6 88k miles
I broke into an old key I had from an earlier car and got the coil that way. I suppose one could buy a used key off ebay.

Not aware of these being sold on their own (but an electrics repair shop might advise with more certainty)..
Old 02-21-2013, 08:40 AM

W211 320 CDI '07
Yeah i have done this allready one time, but i just wanted to know if its possible to buy this part separately.. i found websites like this:
https://www.distrelec.de/rfid-transp...4408af-112j-04
or
http://www.grupopremo.com/in/technol...inductors.html

But i dont know which coil i would have to buy, becuase i dont know how many Ohm, KhZ and so one the right own should have. its about 11mm long and i have found allready some of them..
Attached Thumbnails Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key-altakggrlrfw62vbly90_rxncxnc1qan4zv3zfjhlfavqyh.jpg  
Old 02-21-2013, 11:01 AM

W210 2000 E240 2.6L Twin-cam V6 88k miles
I don't have a spec for it.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Mercedes
My 2008 C300 Just left on a wrecker being towed to the dealership. My key unlocks the car, I stick the key in the ignition (hear the beeps) go to turn the key and a message displays saying "take the key out of the ignition". The car wont start. Key turns over but nothing happens except message. Radio works, windows work, car alarm works, door locks work but car won't start. My steering wheel was not locked. I read all the messages below page after page trying to see what might be the problem. Even my spare key does the same thing. When I get the "diagnosis" from the dealership and what was done to repair this I will post. Anxiously awaiting that call.
The following users liked this post:
Bighungry (02-18-2021)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:17 PM

c300
Originally Posted by angie.tuley
My 2008 C300 Just left on a wrecker being towed to the dealership. My key unlocks the car, I stick the key in the ignition (hear the beeps) go to turn the key and a message displays saying "take the key out of the ignition". The car wont start. Key turns over but nothing happens except message. Radio works, windows work, car alarm works, door locks work but car won't start. My steering wheel was not locked. I read all the messages below page after page trying to see what might be the problem. Even my spare key does the same thing. When I get the "diagnosis" from the dealership and what was done to repair this I will post. Anxiously awaiting that call.
The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I took my car to the dealership and they said it was fine, ran the diagnostics and everything was fine. Now it literally just happened again I dont understand what the problem is. same exact thing car wont start. everything works but car wont start and i keep getting that annoying msg. Anyone else have any ideas? should i take it to the dealership again?
Old 07-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Mercdes 1996 E320
Originally Posted by KozmaKumani
The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago. I took my car to the dealership and they said it was fine, ran the diagnostics and everything was fine. Now it literally just happened again I dont understand what the problem is. same exact thing car wont start. everything works but car wont start and i keep getting that annoying msg. Anyone else have any ideas? should i take it to the dealership again?
I just thought I would let you know that I now have another intermittent fault on the ignition not the wipers etc this time.
When I turn the ignition on some times I get nothing at all turn it off on then on again every thing fires up you drive around for a couple of days fine then it rears its ugly head again switch off and on again sometime nothing then all of a sudden it fires up had the switch out took me 10 minutes to remove the ignition and switch now that I know how to remove it. Gave it a clean still the same, anyone out there got any suggestions on what it could be.

It’s a 1996 E320 WDB2100055 2A 195110,http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...gnition-6.html

part on the switch is 2105450604 and has only 8 pins will the
W0133-1608536 switch be suitable which has 16 pins!
Old 07-08-2014, 03:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Wow did they give you the runaround at kiddybenz----I have no idea what you want. All I can say is that with the VIN you provided the applicable ignition switch is 129 545 02 04. The number you gave of 210 545 06 04 does not exist in EPC.

The WO part number you referenced must be a non OEM for which I can't cross reference and once again totally different that 129 545 02 04.

Instead of all the previous gross misinformation and HS -----just what is the problem!!
Old 07-14-2014, 03:46 AM

Mercdes 1996 E320
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Wow did they give you the runaround at kiddybenz----I have no idea what you want. All I can say is that with the VIN you provided the applicable ignition switch is 129 545 02 04. The number you gave of 210 545 06 04 does not exist in EPC.

The WO part number you referenced must be a non OEM for which I can't cross reference and once again totally different that 129 545 02 04.

Instead of all the previous gross misinformation and HS -----just what is the problem!!
that is the part No writen on the switch it has a green back plate so it must have existed at some time there a couple on ebay, not convinced its the switch looks more likly to be ths Daz

http://www.workshopmb.com/product.php?id_product=227

Last edited by skyrocket2; 07-14-2014 at 03:56 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:37 PM

2001 E320 4matic Wagon
Try resetting your electronic key

http://www.ehow.com/how_7492936_reset-mercedes-key.html
Old 07-22-2014, 09:09 PM

2011 C350
Ok so I know this is an old thread, but there's no other help anywhere on this subject. My 2011 C350 just started this phenomenon.

Car unlocks/locks; panic works; start button doesn't work; insert key, tilt moves, dash lights up, radio works; turn to position 2 and no crank. Battery is fully charged.

I tried everything in this post that I could while I was at the YMCA with my kids, nothing. I even went across the street and bought a brand new battery, same issue. I even tried the re-sync procedure, no joy. My wife shows up with her key and same issue. So this is not a key issue, this has to do with the ignition switch.

Seeing that this thread is so old, hasn't anyone figured out what the root cause problem is? Dealer is closed, so I'll have the car towed in the morning...
Old 07-22-2014, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
well, since your car isn't a w210, there is a likelihood that your problem isn't
related to anything as old as our cars

Originally Posted by MajikTom
Ok so I know this is an old thread, but there's no other help anywhere on this subject. My 2011 C350 just started this phenomenon.

Car unlocks/locks; panic works; start button doesn't work; insert key, tilt moves, dash lights up, radio works; turn to position 2 and no crank. Battery is fully charged.

I tried everything in this post that I could while I was at the YMCA with my kids, nothing. I even went across the street and bought a brand new battery, same issue. I even tried the re-sync procedure, no joy. My wife shows up with her key and same issue. So this is not a key issue, this has to do with the ignition switch.

Seeing that this thread is so old, hasn't anyone figured out what the root cause problem is? Dealer is closed, so I'll have the car towed in the morning...
Old 07-22-2014, 09:28 PM

2011 C350
Originally Posted by raymond g-
well, since your car isn't a w210, there is a likelihood that your problem isn't
related to anything as old as our cars
Well since this issue was very similar to that described in most of the posts herein, I thought it would be related... I'll start a new thread in the C section.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Old 07-22-2014, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
the ignition interlock, the starting system has undergone some degree of
evolution the past 10 yrs so though the symptoms may sound similar, the
fix may be quite different. but yeah, having your post in the same forum
as you car's siblings will probably garner more apropos replies.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM

MB CL500 2006
Key not recognized problem

I had the problem of an intermittent "key not recognized" problem. My car would start by placing the key in the ignition switch. The fix: I took the key apart and placed a small piece of scotch tap on the back side of the battery. This allowed the batter to make a better connection. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. I hope the fix is permanent and your solution is just as easy.

John Spain
2006 CL500
Old 09-09-2014, 04:25 PM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Originally Posted by Speco
I had the problem of an intermittent "key not recognized" problem. My car would start by placing the key in the ignition switch. The fix: I took the key apart and placed a small piece of scotch tap on the back side of the battery. This allowed the batter to make a better connection. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. I hope the fix is permanent and your solution is just as easy.

John Spain
2006 CL500
This would not help with a w210 since the batteries are not used to start the car, only to lock/unlock.
The following users liked this post:
blueSL (11-18-2019)
Old 11-10-2014, 09:05 AM

Mercdes 1996 E320
Originally Posted by skyrocket2
I just thought I would let you know that I now have another intermittent fault on the ignition not the wipers etc this time.
When I turn the ignition on some times I get nothing at all turn it off on then on again every thing fires up you drive around for a couple of days fine then it rears its ugly head again switch off and on again sometime nothing then all of a sudden it fires up had the switch out took me 10 minutes to remove the ignition and switch now that I know how to remove it. Gave it a clean still the same, anyone out there got any suggestions on what it could be.

It’s a 1996 E320 WDB2100055 2A 195110,http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210...gnition-6.html

part on the switch is 2105450604 and has only 8 pins will the
W0133-1608536 switch be suitable which has 16 pins!
Well I finally fixed my ignition problem I fitted a new ignition switch after prating around with the old one for 6 months or more ,£80 for the switch.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:03 AM

SLK200
Originally Posted by MajikTom

Hey MagicTom - I have just started to experience the same problem on my 2012 SLK AMG. It is still under warranty, but because it is an intermittent fault, the dealer says there is nothing he can do unless the onbaord computer registers a fault. It even happened while I was at the dealership, but by the time he hooked up the diagnostic m/c the car started okay. He says Mercedes are aware of the problem but aren't doing anything about it, because it is happening to too few cars.
He thinks it is a fault with the anti-theft module, but neither he nor I want to go to the expense of trial and error. What a bummer!!!! The car is going straight onto the 2nd hand market. And Mercedes can stick all the rest of their cars up their proverbial.
Old 05-16-2015, 03:35 PM

c300- 2010
Unhappy Problem with the key or ignition

I have a c300, 2010. The car would start only if I do not remove the key from the ignition. I took the car to the mechanic because they car was completely dead and had unlock the wheels, and everything else.... they told me it was they key, they order the key and it wasn't the key...Then I was told it was the ignition, I decided to pick up my car. When the tow truck is getting ready to pull the car, I put they key on the ignition and the car started with no problem, so I drove the car home...I notice that as long I do not remove the key from the ignition the car will start but if I remove the key and then try to start it again, the car won't start.....Have any idea what is going on with my car? Thanks...
Old 05-18-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Wrong forum.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:34 PM

2011 E350
I had to replace batteries in my fob (W211) because the remote lock/unlock stopped working. I opened it up to get the battery part numbers. The next morning I started the car and made a stop. The ignition would not turn. I waited a while (few minutes) and tried it again. It did work.

Now it will only turn if I press insert the fob and then press the lock button.

Couple of notes:
I did replace the case a few months ago with a non-MB shell.... not an issue... tried the original shell.
The circuit board did fall out of the shell when I checked for the part numbers... So, it could have been damaged.

I likely damaged the coil (described in earlier posts). I am fortunate that I didn't do worse damage.

For now, I will insert the fob and press the lock button before turning.

Last edited by hpfreeman; 11-30-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:23 AM

2008 clk550 -2002 clk320
Hi all from Vancouver Canada, I am new here and need some help.
I own a 2002 CLK 320 convertible and just replaced the fob casing , everything works but it does not turn the ignition, no sound at all, I inserted the fob when the the driver side door was open and it displays " remove key "on the cluster display, I also checked the coils and they are OK, any advise would be appreciated,

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key