E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W204
Question Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key

I have a Problem with my remote key, when I insert the key in the ignition switch I don't hear the sound when you insert/remove your key from the ignition. and It won't start the car because I can't turn the key in any direction, sometimes it happens that it recognizes the key and I can start the car with no problem. but mostly I have to insert the key and remove it about 10 times before the ignition recognizes it, But the key opens the door and closes them with the remote control every time, just when I want to start the car there is the problem. I had this key fixed before because the button to lock the car went broken so i replaced it and after this I am having this problem.
I have a reserve key but with no remote function do I must take with me two key (I have only two) when I want to start my car, Fist key to unlock remotely the car and the second to start the car.

So please can you help me?
Must I synchronize the remote key, and if HOW?

thanx in advance
Old 09-03-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
First the remote part on the key is powered from the internal batteries, when in the car ignition switch the key is powered from the car battery via a transponder coil in the end of the key.

If the key is dropped this coil can break off, I get keys from Ebay and change them.

On the longer type key there is a coil on the end and the wire on the end can break where it is soldered on, giving an intermittent operation, these can be soldered up.

Very often though this intermittent operation can be signs that the EIS ignition switch is failing.
Attached Thumbnails Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key-picture-608.jpg  
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport
Have similar issue with Key not starting car

I have very similar issue with my 2008 C300 Sport, key will lock/unlock car, will turn in ignition but will NOT start car. just ordered Electronic Steering Lock and Orange Key. Dealers says this is a common problem with c300 and MB knows about it, yet they never recalled. Im going to write them on this issue, this is very expensive here in the Bahamas, and is a disgrace for MB with 125 yrs of automotive history.
Old 09-04-2011, 12:42 PM

I have experienced something similar with my 2003 CL600. "Start" button on the shift knob will turn on the ignition but won't start the car. Most of the time it will but there is that odd one or two times when only the ignition comes on. With the key, car starts every time. I have noticed that keeping the keyless card in the center console (or the ashtray - which I don't use) makes the start more likely. It could be the battery in the card.

Originally Posted by dodgern
I have very similar issue with my 2008 C300 Sport, key will lock/unlock car, will turn in ignition but will NOT start car. just ordered Electronic Steering Lock and Orange Key. Dealers says this is a common problem with c300 and MB knows about it, yet they never recalled. Im going to write them on this issue, this is very expensive here in the Bahamas, and is a disgrace for MB with 125 yrs of automotive history.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport
this seems to be a very common issue with Mercedes and i don't see and i'm not aware of any technical bulletins or recalls on this matter. if anyone knows otherwise, please inform me. my 2008 C300 only has 44k on it. will write MB about this, trust me!
Old 09-05-2011, 01:58 AM

I have also found that it works more reliably if I keep the keyless card in the front shirt pocket. It does not work at all if I keep the keyless card in my laptop bag (placed in the bag seat or trunk - manual even says so: card will not be recognized and there will be an "error message" on the multifunction display).

This is of course very disappointing. Keyless-GO is largely useless. It would be very useful if I could keep it in my laptop bag and not have to guess whether it is going to work or not.

Now that I am hearing that the same (or similar) problem persists in newer models, it may be the time for a Dear John (Dear Benz?) letter. If I only had the time.

I enjoy the CL600 the most without these gimmicks (no radio, no navigation). It is designed to be driven. With a key.

Originally Posted by dodgern
this seems to be a very common issue with Mercedes and i don't see and i'm not aware of any technical bulletins or recalls on this matter. if anyone knows otherwise, please inform me. my 2008 C300 only has 44k on it. will write MB about this, trust me!
Old 09-05-2011, 04:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CL500 216
Interesting reading,, I have never had any problems and I have the early type keyless go card. if the batteries are getting low it will tell you on the dash, I keep it in the wallet, but with the later type with it in the standard key not so easy
Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 CLS55 Renntech stage 5, 04 CL600 ( will miss ),02e55 , 11 R350
Dino , did you ever resolve that problem with the key ? Ia m having the exact same symptoms as you described and I am panicking as I have already list the second key for my car so now I only have ONE to start the car .. as you said , I have to remove it in and out few times before I can start the car although it locks and unlocks the car with no problem .. please give me an update , Thanks so much , Max
Old 10-28-2011, 04:23 AM

Mercedes W204
no my friend I never resolved it. Now I have to carry 2 keys with me one to unlock the dors and the other to start the car. And if I loose them I am stuck. I was trying to fix it, to fix the coil in it but no luck. I think I wil have to buy a new one for 200 euros and this is a lot in my country. But I love my merc and I forgive him. ;-) good luck with your key and let me know if you manage to fix it.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM

98 E300 TD
hi. i have a 98 e300td and i have a bigger key problem . not only it hard to unlock the ignition but even when it unlocks and i turn the key all the way to on the ignition will not go on , does not show any light on the dash , i have to turn back and forth a few times until it will turn the engine over , i do love mercedes but these problems are just constant headaches , i know you guys are trying to solve your own problems but if any find aomething usefull , please share..
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM

W210 2000 E240 2.6L Twin-cam V6 88k miles
Oh but for these non-battery-operated ignition fobs!

I've had issues with these keys for quite a while now. First it was those keys that got the rear-view mirror to flash, then it got better.. or did it? The latest episode started a bit over a year ago when I bought this car and it had this key that wasn't functioning..

Many days later (with the non-MB dealer sorting out other issues with the car) and many reads of these forums later - including in-depth analyses by Television (member who has posted earlier in this thread) over a number of years - I came to the conclusion that I will have a play with the key. I have this car as a holiday car and so not normally in a hurry to get things sorted out quickly.

The key (in layman lingo)!

As explained above by others, the key is 'energised' by the ignition system via a coil inside the key. The charge is enough to get the key to transmit its various codes to the ignition module and thereby the resulting chh-ching and steering unlock and start.

Now, firstly, if it doesn't work properly in the ignition BUT the other key does (flat, emergency key or any of the others), the problem is very likely to be with the key and not the ignition.

Here are actual observations:

1. Took out the key electronic board from the fob and noticed coil was broken. Had an old emergency key (from a 98 E280) which I cut open and it had a similar coil. Paid a satellite repair shop a tenner and the guy soldered (With Care!) the newfound coil onto the key.

2. Tried key in ignition. No luck. Tried many times to insert/ remove/ jiggle whilst inserted.. the usual - and it eventually gave! The key turned and the steering was unlocked. Got to ignition, turn - but no engine turn!

Conclusion 1: It does the code transmission TWICE - once in pos 0 and then again in pos 2. (Anyone confirm/contradict?)

3. Back inside the key. Cleaned the inside of the red lens. Cleaned the red lens on the ignition entry. Key in - steering unlocked - starter engaged - ignition! Yeaheh! Tried it again - nope.

4. Clean only the ignition end again.. works! And since then, whenever the key misbehaves, I just clean the lens on the ignition entry. How? By very simply wiping the lens with my fingertip. Initially I'd do the full drill - get a clean tissue, not too much water on it, just a light swipe, etc. Then I noticed it would work with even a very Very slightly wet fingertip (tongue). Then I saw it didn't even need that. A dry fingertip works too.

Conclusion 2: I think the coil/ ignition 'energising' can become weak because of something on the key board - maybe even the coil itself. It shows more (ie malfunctions) on the fobs only because the fobs are much thicker than the emergency key. The red lens is, I believe, supposed to help out, but the red lens can lose its clarity, and if its marked/ scratched, probably loses its clarity very quickly if dirty. The cleaning helps the clarity and the weak current gets through enough. (Again, anyone?)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM

Mercedes W204
thak you for your time to explain everithing

So reading all this posts I can conclude that the problem is with the coil because the key is 'energised' by the ignition system via a coil, so I should try to install new coil but where to find it? and can be possible that the coil is broken or just the connection where the coil is connected to the board?
Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by dinoslim
So reading all this posts I can conclude that the problem is with the coil because the key is 'energised' by the ignition system via a coil, so I should try to install new coil but where to find it? and can be possible that the coil is broken or just the connection where the coil is connected to the board?
First get the right diagnosis. If the key works intermittently, I would first try the cleaning exercise. If that makes the situation better then its a cleaning issue.

If you have to get into the key, the inside looks like the picture posted earlier in this thread, although the coil may be a different shape. Open with care (there are details about it in one of the MB forums - googling ought to get you to them, I don't have the references to hand). You'll need a small screw driver to pry the white plastic latch inside the fob so that the key board can slip out.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:49 AM

Update?

Dino, any luck?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 AM

Mercedes W204
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...022012431.jpg/

unfortunately not, I tried cleaning exercise, but this doesn't help, I am now trying to open the key but I don't know on which side should I put the screw driver to pry the white plastic latch inside, when the key is lying so that the (buttons are down and the Mercedes logo is up) where should I put my screw driver above the white plastic or under the white plastic?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 PM

It'll be No 2 in the picture. The white plastic strip should come away with the circuit board. Its not the easiest to explain, but use a small screw driver and NOT much force and the plastic strip will give. Be careful and once it moves, slowly pull it all out.

There's a description of the process in the link below and a useful pic too.
http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/sh...ad.php?t=50294
Old 02-04-2012, 07:26 AM

Mercedes W204
Hey I just managed to put the electronic board from the fob out, I and the winding's on the coil are not symmetric I don't know how to explain it, I will take a better camera and then take a picture to show you!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:37 PM

Mercedes W204
http://imageshack.us/f/190/dsc00747di.jpg/

I marked those wires on a coil with red rings, could it be that this indicates that the coil
is broken?
Old 02-05-2012, 12:05 PM

http://imageshack.us/f/190/dsc00747di.jpg/

I marked those wires on a coil with red rings, could it be that this indicates that the coil
is broken?
Not sure. If the coil isn't loose its very odd, as what else could have caused the wires to get out of shape. Might be the way its designed. My coils were similar shape but not exactly the same - this looks a bit flat whereas mine were completely round. But mine didn't have any such space in the winding.

Just a word of caution - if the key works intermittently it may not necessarily be the coil. Otherwise, if you are capable of soldering it back onto the board, remove it so you can inspect it closer. If you need another coil, get a similar key off ebay so you can take it apart and take its coil.

But - if you have a digital board repairer/ satellite & TV repairer nearby - you could get them to check the coil for you. This way you'll be more confident that the coil needs replacing.

All else failing, you could always get a professional keyfob repairer to do a complete check on your key. They would check all circuits and replace the coil if necessary. Its about 30% of the cost of a key from the dealer here in the UK - I don't know if this service is readily available your end.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Hey I just read your original post. You had the key fixed - maybe the coil did get damaged during that process? You got access to the person who did the fix?
Old 02-05-2012, 01:12 PM

Mercedes W204
yes I do have access to that person, and I told him and he solder all connection on the board but this is happening again

I am thinking to bug this key
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....634243020.html
Old 02-05-2012, 02:19 PM

yes I do have access to that person, and I told him and he solder all connection on the board but this is happening again

I am thinking to bug this key
http://www.ebay.de/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....634243020.html
Didn't he check the coil at the time of re-soldering the connections? Anyway, the auction on ebay you referenced ended - have you bought it? Just make sure the key is similar in design and size to yours and you should get the right one. If its for the same model and year of car it should be the same.

Best of luck! I suppose its worth a try for 15 Euro.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:29 PM

2008 C300
2008 C300 ignition key lock problem

Help everyone!!! My 2008 C300 with 40K miles just won't start with no prior warning. It happened thursday when I went to the bank & afterwards the car won't start anymore. Lights working, alarm working. I called auto club and it is not the battery. I have it towed to Penske and the service writer told me that I need a "Ignition Key LocK' and the cost is $1100. Please help.. what to do? I read some of your experiences here of similar problem. Did you anyone have a recall, TSB, etc.? Please advise....many thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 PM

c300
I just had the exact same thing happen with me today on my C300!! Did you ever get some help?

Originally Posted by marilync300
Help everyone!!! My 2008 C300 with 40K miles just won't start with no prior warning. It happened thursday when I went to the bank & afterwards the car won't start anymore. Lights working, alarm working. I called auto club and it is not the battery. I have it towed to Penske and the service writer told me that I need a "Ignition Key LocK' and the cost is $1100. Please help.. what to do? I read some of your experiences here of similar problem. Did you anyone have a recall, TSB, etc.? Please advise....many thanks
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Please advise the steps-----like---- key in, but can't turn key or key in can turn but won't start(crank). Additionally if you have a spare key----have you tried it!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ignition switch sometimes doesn't recognizes remote key