E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

W210 Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
s500
W210 Engine Noise

We have been experiencing this irritating noise coming from the engine bay of our ’00 e320. The noise, which sounds somewhat like a diesel engine or the fan lightly rubbing against something, is most noticeable when accelerating the car. Took the car to dealer, who thought it was noise from the lifters. But the noise is still there even after replacing one of them. Now the dealer claims that the noise is normal per MB. Does anyone know what the noise might be caused by?
Old 06-26-2003, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
The Dealer SHOULD have Inspected the crank pulley...They have problems that start with a crack then FAIL causing lots of damage...front cover,oil pan,water pump,radiator,etc This May be the Noise?
Old 06-27-2003, 10:25 AM
jji
Almost a Member!

I had the same Noise (well from what I can read its the same ) as you in my 00 e430 the dealer put in a new Catalytic converter and the noise is gone Hope this helps
Old 06-27-2003, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
If the noise is like a clicking or ticking sound of some kind, then it should be the lifters. BTW, how does the dealer know which lifter is bad? My Mercedes mechanic said it didn't cost much more to replace them all once he was in there. That is what fixed my noise and my E420 ran a whole lot smoother. It feels like a new car again...
Old 06-30-2003, 09:08 AM

Smile W210 engine noise

Hi fellow Mb-er

E220 - A 1995 Sportline -- Pietermaritzburg South Africa

....funny, I had something I would have described the same recently.......it turned out to be an exhaust leak near the split section. When accelerating it caused a Diesel engine like sound.

Hope it helps.

Tyke
Old 06-30-2003, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Exhause leak sound and ticking sound are both very different from each other. From what I can read it sounds like ticking from the engine...
Old 06-30-2003, 12:18 PM

2003 s500 sport
my 98 e430 has had this sound since I bought it used last year. very fast tick-tick sound. I am always wondering if this sound is supposed to be there. Do any e430 owners experience it also?
Old 06-30-2003, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 6.3
my 98 e430 has had this sound since I bought it used last year. very fast tick-tick sound. I am always wondering if this sound is supposed to be there. Do any e430 owners experience it also?
Yes, I have an E420 (close enough) and the "fast ticking sound" that I experienced while idling and especially while accelerating was that of my lifters. I lived with it for a long while (months) too and tried using Mobil 1 with the lifter cleaner from Mercedes as a couple of Mercedes mechanics told me that the synthetic oil with the additive might help but it didn't. The final outcome was to replace my lifters, very expensive but it was like I got a new car back. The engine purrs and the performance is back!
Old 06-30-2003, 01:20 PM

2003 s500 sport
Jimmydagreek,
I have starmark warranty, will it cover it?

How much was it to replace them? What are the consequences of not changing them? Any why does it happen in the first place?

I would not even notice it but something was just bugging me about this tick-tick sound. It is not audible at all from the cabin, but once you start the engine and stand outside it is noticable, more so if you open the hood. I am using Mobil 1 0w40 but this was my first oil change since I got it. Not sure what they used before.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 6.3
Jimmydagreek,
I have starmark warranty, will it cover it?

How much was it to replace them? What are the consequences of not changing them? Any why does it happen in the first place?

I would not even notice it but something was just bugging me about this tick-tick sound. It is not audible at all from the cabin, but once you start the engine and stand outside it is noticable, more so if you open the hood. I am using Mobil 1 0w40 but this was my first oil change since I got it. Not sure what they used before.
Your starmark warranty should in deed cover it as it is a problem with the engine, and that's covered! I asked a couple of different dealers and their prices ranged between $2800.00 and $3800.00. I have a good friend who owns a Mercedes Benz only shop and he did it for $1500.00 including the replacement of the timing chain, lubing of the oil tubes or something, new gaskets, etc...That saved my life!

The reason this happens I was told by Mercedes is from cheap oil being used, the oil isn't changed when required and/or from very hard driving without synthetic oil. Regular motor oil becomes very thin when being extremely heated from hard driving therefore, causing too much friction on the valves and lifters (again, it's what I was told by Mercedes). Sometimes (if you're lucky) it will be a build up of of old/burned oil on the lifters causing them to stick, so synthetic oil and a lifter cleaning additive will do the trick.

Good luck and push Mercedes to do the work under your warranty...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:57 PM

2003 s500 sport
Thanks Jimmy,
I will be visiting my dealer (actually another dealer) next week for my sunroof which failed 3rd time already. Same problem again with linkages. It tells me something of a quality workmanship at my current dealer. I will asked them about the tick-tick noise and lifters.
The lifter cleaner is it something to be found at any local AutoZone or is it for Benzes only.
Thanks for you help. This board rules when it comes to sharing knowledge.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:26 PM

2003 s500 sport
Jimmydagreek. I took this topic to the tech forum. Maybe some of the techs know of it too. I want to see how common is this problem. I remember there was a lawsuit against MB for use of standard oils in those 98 and up cars and the sludge buildup in the engines. I even received a $35 voucher toward my oil change because of it.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by 6.3
Thanks Jimmy,
I will be visiting my dealer (actually another dealer) next week for my sunroof which failed 3rd time already. Same problem again with linkages. It tells me something of a quality workmanship at my current dealer. I will asked them about the tick-tick noise and lifters.
The lifter cleaner is it something to be found at any local AutoZone or is it for Benzes only.
Thanks for you help. This board rules when it comes to sharing knowledge.
Everyone sells different types of this additive but Mercedes has their own formula which you can buy over the counter in the parts dept. Make sure to tell the service tech. to check out your car first and let him put the additive in if he doesn't find anything else wrong with your car. That way you shouldn't have to pay for it under warranty.