E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

E 300 TD shuts off while driving on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 E300 TD
E 300 TD shuts off while driving on highway

Hello everyone i have E300 and my problem with this car is that it turns off while driving and some times when i turn the ignition kye on the on position it will not turn the engine over but in stead all the instrument lights go off . I try it again and again a few times untill the car turns on . this does not happen everyday but there is days when it happens a few times a day , or it shuts off a couple of times in the same trip . when it shuts off while driving all the instrument go down like even the speedometer and the techometer and evrything else but the engine still runs if i keep reving untill i stop on the side turn it on again. there is no check engine light on or enything .
One thing i have noticed many times that this happens when i press the break peddal.
I don't know what to make out of this ,i have replaced the break light sensor but it still happens so it's not it unless even the new is defective , it came from the stealer ship though
i'm sorry for the long information but i want to clear things . Thanks everyone
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 PM

W210 E300D
Simultaneous engine and IC shutdown would be indicative of a bad ignition switch a fairly common problem, look it up you'll surely find a lot of info related to that issue, it's weird that it happens as you press the brake though....

Do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote-starter installed by any chance???
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 AM

98 E300 TD
No I do not have aftermarket devices installed
I have a new key that I just got the new style one
I got it because the of one was not unlocking the ignition easily . But the
Car was shutting off with the old one as well . If it as the ignition switch problem can it be fixed without replacing the whole switch is there technician
That repair them ? Thank for the reply