E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

New memeber, new (used) car.....questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E320
New memeber, new (used) car.....questions

i recently fell in love with the looks of the E320, specifically black ones. i found a 1997 for a reasonable price, then negotiated the price down significantly since the owner needed cash, and the dashboard on the car was lit up with warning lights like a christmas tree.

Background - owner said he needed to jumpstart the car, and thats when all the lights came on. hmm, ok, maybe. The car ran fine with the check engine light, asr, and abs lights on. Also the car was practically empty on fuel. i bought the car. i ran out of gas getting to the gas station after i left the tag place. nice way to start a new relationship with a car, i guess. Five gallons of gas later i was on my way home, about a 40 mile journey. About halfway home at highways speeds i was feeling an occasional mis that progressively got worse. i did manage to get the car home, after stalling at the toll booth and a few traffic lights. The car would restart, but it wasnt easy, and i had to be pretty rude with the throttle and dropping it into gear to get her to go.

Started the car today. check engine light was out. pulled 7 codes - secondary air injection malf, Camshaft pos. sensor, 3 cylinder misfires, random multi cyl mis, and a P1580.

Changed the fuel filter since i did run itout of gas, thinking i may have sucked up some goo that contributed to the mis. Cleared the codes, and drove around for about 40 miles. Scanned for codes, no codes present. asr and abs light still on, car drives fine as far i i can tell.

so questions are - Why did i get all these codes, and now they have dissapeared? (not that i am complaining) did the computer needsome time to re-learn?

i would like to figure out the asr/abs. i searched a bunch of post on here earlier. all the brake lights are functional. the cruise control works. Tire size is 215/60 R16. Door says 215/55 R16. could this be the culprit? i have read many posts about the brake light switch, but i thought with most times with that the cruise didnt work.

sorry this long, and thanks for your help in advance.

1997 E320, 129,000 miles.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
4 matic
the tire size difference should not affect the cruise as long as they are all the same. Sometimes a dead/dying battery can trigger various lights on the dash once the car was jumped and ran for awhile the codes go away. Also regarding the asr/abs light it could be the brake light switch which is about $20 at the dealer. check under the pedal and see if its stuck.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E430 4-Matic and E320 4-Matic Station Wagon
Yea, definitely check the brake light switch, but also check the ABS sensors in the wheel wells. A lot of times when people start messing with the tires or the brakes, those wires will get chafed or cut. Doesn't take much for one of them to trigger the ABS lights.