E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

99 320 4matic ~ limp mode?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 E 320 S4
Exclamation 99 320 4matic ~ limp mode?

car sat for 4 days while gone on a trip, returned home, went out ... stopped at a light few miles away... Green light.. Initially it loss power/no fuel, slipped, then jerked hard upon take off to a lower gear. No previous problems before. Been running great.

Did notice a slight whining before all this happened. Almost like a pwr steering pump sounds when going out (but obviously was the tranny)

P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction was coded at the local advanced Auto after it happened. drove it a few blocks to home and only wanted to go in 1st gear.

(Also - S/W switch was NOT moved accidently ) Cant be that... since the manual tells never to use in motion.

Whining was never heard before.. no erratic or racing before... just normal driving then this.

SOMEONE HELP .

Last edited by BSR Music; 07-09-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
If the problem were mine, I would warm the car up and check the fluid level with the correct tool----do not use popsicle stick, coat hanger, rubber tube, string, electrical wire or any of the other so called weekended fluid check genius syndrome devices. Use the correct fifteen dollar tool.

The Advance auto diagnostic tool can't read the MB transmission codes that set the ECU OBD code(the code you read)-------so therefore you need a diagnostic tool that has that capability.

You want to know the transmission code(problem area) and then clear both codes(after checking fluid level)

Now you have a good idea about what is faulty. Good Luck
Old 07-09-2012, 07:31 PM

99 E 320 S4
Arrow U P D A T E

thanks for your help Plutoe.

Yesterday I found a local mB mechanic who star coded the car & checked fluid for free. (WHAT A DEAL!)
Reported 3 things
#1 Trans fluid is 20% life left... + conductor plate is coding as well. (Will change & replace)
#2 sealed box under hood with wiring harness packets were moist or wet at contacts. (Will pull out, re-solder & seal in so this will not happen again.)
All for the low low price of $763.00. trans fluid change is about $300.00 rest is plate & labor. 1-1/2 hr work.
Assuming that is really fair price.
I will say this... these guys went right to the problem and then other said check the contacts. Sure enough they were wet. Must have been common thing.

I think I'm in the wrong line of business.

Last edited by BSR Music; 07-12-2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM

99 E 320 S4
Exclamation Magic Mercedes? It fixed code problem by itself?

ANOTHER UPDATE & Question.

After all the code information from the shop.. The car has sat for a few weeks.
Somehow the battery drained. Removed and charged by shop charger. Connected the battery and It runs like nothing ever happened.

Now considering there was "moisture" in a contact, inside box on left rear of engine compartment that says a/c. But there are onboard modules and fuses in this box.. No A/C mechanisms. (not really sure how that moisture got in that box since it's sealed)
I assume whatever was wet eventually
dried and the code possibly reset due to battery removal? I have driven the car for about 45 miles the past week locally and it performs fine. No Bucking,Low gear mode or any such problem or slipping of the trans.

Now my question is since the Conductor plate was coding malfunction, is there a need to replace anyway now that it's driving ok? I was planning on changing trans fluid because it has about 20% life left the mechanic said...

Advice needed Please

Last edited by BSR Music; 08-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,052 Likes on 973 Posts
1999 E300TD
I believe that the reason the conductor plate was getting intermittent signals is because of the fluid migration up the connector to the control module.

Once you dried and cleaned the transmission module connections it was then able to communicate to the conductor plate. However although the car now runs fine, the only sure way to determine the condition of the conductor plate is to retest for faults.

Additionally I assume that you changed the transmission connector to the new style to prevent future fluid migration. Good Luck!!
Old 09-04-2012, 08:01 AM

99 E 320 S4
Thumbs up Problem Solved

Thanks Plutoe for you advice. It's great to know there are people who are helpful.
My local MB mechanic formerly of MB Memphis (who I found through another MB owner) suggested since my Trans fluid was about 20% life left, to change the conductor plate & sensor since fluid must be changed upon these replacements anyway. Even though the car started to perform normal again, i went ahead with the trans service.

• Now I think it shifts better and I feel better knowing "when' the trans was serviced. Not a bad price from a either considering MB needs blood as a down payment. lol 188.00 for plate,5.00 for sensor,116.00 for fluid,239.00 for labor. .. came out to $600.00 with fileter,gasket & disposal fees .. Not to shabby I'd say. Plus he's just around the corner.
Turns out, he is also in many Low Rider Magazines for custom work..
Silver Star Imports/Silver Star Customs -Horn Lake Ms.

Now on to the next issue to repair.. Rear Suspension riding like a spring -
Old 01-26-2016, 01:56 PM

1999 e320 wagon
I am also having issues with my w210 rear suspension but it started when I had a crack in to high pressure line from the pump to the stirring unit. At that time I lost a lot of fluid but never lost stirring assistance. Since the stirring and rear hydraulic unit are linked together, I'm wondering if there could be some overlap - 'this caused that'? Also, there was an electrical junction at the base of the hose where the line ties into the stirring unit that got REAL wet with fluid when the leak was active. I don't know whether this junction has anything to do with the rear suspension 'height adjustment' or not or if it is functioning properly. Any thoughts...have I explained this thing to death...? Thanks m