E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

Button and console lights not working - 1996 Mercedes E220 W210 Diesel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Button and console lights not working - 1996 Mercedes E220 W210 Diesel

Hello,

I have a weird problem I couldn't figure out how to solve. I have a 1996 Mercedes E220 Diesel (210.004). You know the center console where the HVAC controls, central lock button, radio, ashtray, the transmission, the window buttons are. Normally all of these buttons are lightened when you turn on the headlights, right? So, my problem is, all of those buttons, including the red hazard button are dark. The transmission letter and number lights are also off. The window buttons are dark.

What I did so far: I checked the fuse box in the engine compartment, on the drivers side and under the rear seat. Every single fuse is in place and OK. If I am not dreaming, once I have seen all of them lightened for a second and one again for a second in a different time. I disassembled center console and plugged out and in the plugs but no change. I disassembled the headlight button and plugs and put them back, no luck there too..

The problem is, if I can find the 12V cable that is providing electricity to all of these lightings, I can just take electricity from somewhere else to put them light.

Any help and ideas are welcome.

PS: Instrument cluster warning/hazard/SRS etc. lights are working but lighting bulbs (4 pieces - for speedometer, heat, rpm etc) are removed because they were not working probably. The only button light that is working is the headlight switch lighting.

Thank you!

Andac

Last edited by andacb; 05-08-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:30 AM

Hello,

I think my questions were so weird that nobody could come up with some ideas. Here are some updates:

Well, yesterday evening I started my car. Then I saw that the button lights for every single button was lighting. Nice right?! So, I stopped the car and then gave a try to the infrared locking system that was also not working or responding before ever. And what do you know! The infrared system was working perfectly. Closing and opening doors and the green and red light in the rear view mirror, the driver side infrared sensor lights.. Everything is working well.

So my problem still continues because I have to find, what causes these random working and non working behavior of button lights and infrared locking system.

Conclusion for symptoms:

When the under buttons lights on the console and in the front roof inside console are working (which is quiet rare) then the car (maybe I feel like this only) responds even in idle more attacking (!), and the infrared locking system works perfectly.

When these under buttons lights are not working, then the infrared locking system is working or not working (not even responding or giving any lights etc.) randomly.

So probably I need to know, what part in the car is feeding electricity to these under button lights in the middle (including gear letter lights) and up roof console and the infrared control system.

Please help, because I will start thinking that my car has a funny ghost in it!

PS: The cigarette lighter's light is all the time working, whatever else is working or not. Weird?

Thanks..

Andac
Old 05-21-2013, 07:20 AM

Angry

Hello,

To make things more clear, I added a picture.

Andac
Attached Thumbnails Button and console lights not working - 1996 Mercedes E220 W210 Diesel-mb_w210_e220_lights.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
I believe that your issue is with two connections points(shift lever illumination and front illumination) located behind the IC and AC controler. Have your mechanic remove the two modules and search for loose/damaged wire and or ground.

If you attempt to do this job, search the forum/internet for the tools required and instructions for removing the two modules. Be patient
Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM

Thanks for your reply Plutoe but I already removed both center console panels and also the roof light button panel to check for cables and connections but everything about connections and cables are fine there.

One more idea came up to my mind, when I was checking internet for this problem and I wanted to ask you all this: Are the button lightings like window buttons and other button background lightings connected to this dimmer with the two buttons on the left side of the instrument panel? If yes, I am suspicious about the connection of this dimmer (or it was called something else in the forums) and/or the welding behind those dimmer buttons..

Thanks!

Andac
Old 05-24-2013, 02:15 PM

SOLUTION

Hello again,

I am pleased to share you that I found the source of the problem.

As the attached picture shows, there are two connector plugs behind the instrument cluster. And the one I circled with yellow is having the cable that feeds 12V to the cluster AND tp all the other lights that were not working before, once the ignition is on.

The cable in the second row in this connector (shown below in the picture) is red and in fact the cable was OK but the pin in the connector plug on the instrument panel and the end of the cable within the connector was not touching each other very well. AND this was the reason why all the lights in my previous messages were off, including instrument cluster lighting bulbs.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this, in case someone goes crazy with a similar problem one day. Not the fuses, not the cables, not the bulbs. Just the connector and connection..

Andac
Attached Thumbnails Button and console lights not working - 1996 Mercedes E220 W210 Diesel-cluster_back.jpg