E-Class (W210) 1995-2002: E 200, E 220D, E 240, E 290TD, E 300TD, E 200, E 240, E 280, E 320, E 420, E 430 (Wagon, Touring, 4Matic)

99 W210 Spring Perch Failure and Repair Odyssey Afterwards.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 X204 GLK350 4matic
99 W210 Spring Perch Failure and Repair Odyssey Afterwards.

Well, it happened! 2 minutes from my garage, passenger side front end collapsed. Limp back to the garage, take off the wheel, thinking shock failure. Nope. The thing that only happens to the other guys’ W210s happened to my 90k mile garage queen! Spring perch was dangling by a thread to the rusted body frame (not yet torn off but very close).

Browse forums, find lots of relevant posts, called around including MB dealers in my area. One dealer’s service manager advised to call MBUSA as they will tow it to the dealer for free (except of course the dealer will charge $150 non-reimbursable diagnostic fee). As estimates from a few reputable independents were not far off what some forum members mentioned were their costs at the dealers, I called MBUSA roadside assistance, mentioned spring perch failure/front-end collapse and they indeed offer to tow it for free to a dealer.

I sent my car off on a flat-bed (seeing the leaning car on a flat-bed was not a good sight), alerting the service manager to expect my car with the spring perch failure. Get a call the next day from the dealer; they inspected it but can’t do the body work so I need to pick up my car (at my expense) and take it to a collision center! What #&*@#*$. Why the heck did you have me tow my car there if you can’t repair spring perch failure there?

I will skip what happened after and get to the present…

I ended up towing at my expense (I also paid a slightly reduced diagnostic charge) and getting the car fixed at the dealer’s collision center (6 miles from the dealership and under the same corporate umbrella). I mentioned this absurdity to MBUSA (about a week and a half ago) and just now I get a call from MBUSA, offering to share the cost if I sign a release. I will give kudos to MBUSA for stepping up to the plate, but does anybody have any idea what this release is? MBUSA rep, while nice, wasn’t forthcoming with the details of the release and I am resigned to going to the dealer to read what’s in the release and preparing myself to walk away if it’s a blanket hold-MBUSA/dealer-harmless-forever-from-everything kind of release.

If somebody has ran across something similar, I would appreciate some info. It would save me from wasting my time at the dealer!
Attached Thumbnails 99 W210 Spring Perch Failure and Repair Odyssey Afterwards.-dsc_1447.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM

E430
Have not fortunately had this failure though I am curious to know what the release states?

I have Eibach aftermarket springs and shocks so I'm sure if the car ever has a perch failure, I wouldn't think the release would be relevant or would it??
Old 08-08-2013, 11:45 AM

E320, 300E, 420 SEL
aha!

The spring perch is a common problem on the early 210s. it was a defect in canada because of the snow, salt and rust - the conditions are more extreme clearly. It warranted a recall but only in Canada; not in the US.

It's not terribly expensive to replace (if you haven't already figured that out).
the car will last you a lifetime but i've encountered some of the issues/defects with the car over the past few years.

driver's seat clicks, spring perch, EGR valve, sunroof rattle, passenger seat sensor, steering wheel leather fading, EBS brake light, A/C hot-cold issue. I put 75k in the 3 years, so normal wear & tear is also included.

but let me know if you have any questions.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM

E55, 2001 Silver.
E430...

Sorry to hear that I had this exact same issue on my '98 E430. Passenger side perch failed. Had to sign the waiver (this is exactly what you think), to hold them blameless and final settlement for all future issues - in return for MBUSA paying for half the $1300 or so cost of the repair. This was after a bunch of escalation and research. I even talked to the NHTSA investigator - he basically told me that MBUSA has argued that this is not a catastrophic failure and therefore has not issued a recall for it. A lawyer I talked with said that unless someone gets hurt MBUSA will probably never issue a recall - even though this issue has been recalled in Canada. Attached is the MB repair procedure - I had a MB certified collision center do it to this spec - I did not want it going out at 70mph on the highway if I hit a bump. They also checked the driver's side and pronounced it OK.

Good luck with repair. This behaviour from MB is maddening - it is clearly a fault in manufacturing, the perchs were not sealed properly - allowing water to get in and rust them - and yet they fight it. It guess it would be many millions to bring in all the 1998-1999 w210s in a recall.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
perch_repair_proc.pdf (409.0 KB, 1990 views)

Last edited by asad; 08-15-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
1998 E300TD
E430, can you give me some info on your dealings with mbusa. My 98 just pooped the bed on the driver side front spring perch. Thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 06:32 PM

'98 E300 Turbodiesel
Parts & Repair Info

My driver side perch just failed also. The instructions noted in the post above show a new mount being riveted (but not welded?) in place. But I can't find the part number for the replacement mount!

I have found the whole new "striker plate" part number, but no instructions for installing it.

I also found the part number and instructions to install the mount reinforcement 210 626 01 19.

Can anyone fill in the blanks here? Specifically, what is the part number for the new mount shown in repair procedure AR62.10-P-0006E linked above? And, does anyone have any idea how the replacement striker plate is installed? That's part number 210 620 23 67 (ds) / 210 620 24 67 (ps) noted in post #8 here: http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...g-bracing.html

FWIW: My local dealer has no record of my car being in for service since 2008 even though it's been in numerous times. The body shop they call theirs (and that answers the phone with "Mercedes Collision, how can I help you?") says they aren't really a Mercedes service center so they don't have access to the MB repair documents. MBUSA told me to "be realistic" and since I haven't had my car in to an authorized SC since 2008 (again, BS) their contribution to my problem will be limited to recommending a body shop, presumably the one mentioned above. I really hoped for more but I guess that was, ahh, unrealistic?

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:30 PM

E55, 2001 Silver.
Zaklee, got your message. I think I was able to have MB pay for half because I had a receipt from the dealer from a year ago inspection that said "Perches inspected, no rust or damage found" - the smoking gun. The dealer was Westminster Mercedes in Denver, and the body shop was StarTech Mercedes in Denver. The owner is Sandor, very helpful and knowledgeable guy. He might even remember my car if you call him. Gold E430 from Fort Collins. I believe he would be able to help you with part numbers and perhaps finding a good body shop - don't know where you are.

You should find a reputable shop because I believe they have to put the car on a custom jig to mount the perch properly to make sure everything is lined up right. The car drove like a new car when they were done - I think the perch had been failing slowly over a few years.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:05 AM

97 E420
I have this same issue. Mercedes dealership quoted me @$800-1100, and no recall insight. Wow!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 E55 AMG, 1999 E55 AMG , Audi allroad 2.7T sold ,08 Jeep SRT8 sold, 06 TBSS Sold
I just noticed my Perch is weak , I was doing front brakes and pad, called MB they said ball park $1200. What BS !! Calling my Indy now.